How to build top lane Jax in S3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainDelMark

05-01-2013

How do you guys build Jax for top lane in S3?

My current end game build looks like this: (It's pretty standard but in S3 i hardly see anyonre using it)
Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
Trinity Force
Hextech Gunblade
Warmogs
Atmas Impaler
6th Situational Item:
GA if getting focused down first in team fights
Maw of Malmortius if lots of AP on enemy team
Black Cleaver if they are stacking armor and/or i don't need more defensive stats.

I have seen recently that the Warmogs and Atmas combo is not all to common anymore. Personally i think building an early Avarice Blade is great for netting that extra gold. It also builds into very different items, so if you don't need to go as tanky and want more damage you can build into Ghostblade or if you are going to be doing a lot of split pushing then you can build into Statikk Shiv. I shouldn't have to say this but if you don't want to get Warmogs then its not really worth getting Atmas.

The great thing about this build is that you end up with pretty much everything. You get Health/Physical Damage/Magic Damage/Crit Chance/Armor/MR/GP10 and farming item/Attack Speed/etc.
But the best thing about this build is that you can build what you need straight away. Need more health? Great, pick up the giants belt that you will later build into warmogs. Need more sustain? Pick up the Vamp Scepter earlier. Need to stick to your target? Get Phage ealier. Need to do more burst damage? Get sheen first.

This build just seems to make so much sense to me, so why has it fallen out of favour recently? Am i missing something that everyone has realised and that this is actually not the best way to currently build Jax in S3?

ShakeNBake EUW

06-01-2013

rageblade

check out the new unique passive on it.

Simplexible

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2013

your build is ok but I prefer mine where I get a nice mixture of AP and AD while being very tanky too.

mercury treads/ninja tabi
hextech gunblade
guinsoo's rageblade
banshee's veil
atma's implaler
abyssal scepter

it's not always exactly like that but that's one of the builds I'd take, the thing I hear the most is "wtf, no trinity force?" trinity force is nice and all but I don't think jax needs it + it's better on other champions like irelia and lee sin.

shady stranger

06-01-2013

mercury threads
trinity force
warmog's armour
hextech gunblade
guinsoo's rageblade
guardian angel/blade of the ruined king(only if not focused)/randuin's omen

What you missed is atma's nerf probably, sure it sort of works, but with the rageblade change it's just become better than atma's.

CaptainDelMark

06-01-2013

I only just noticed the new passive on rage blade, sounds like it would be perfect for Jax, i will give it a try.

I was playing around in a custom game just now and looking at a few end game builds and came up with somethings.

AD Carry/Assassin Jax:
Berzerker Grieves
Trinity Force
Hextech Gunblade
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Zephyr
Blood Thirster

Jax's passive plus rageblade passives = 2.5 ATS which leads to a DPS of 917, which combined with the life steal of 38% makes you a wrecking machine. However, a stun or two and you have no chance of surviving. You still have a decent amount of AP (about 15 if i remember correctly) so armour stacking isn't to much of an issue. You get tenacity passive from the Sephyr so thats why i picked up BGs over mercs. I can't imagine this build has much viability due to the lack of health items you get so unless you are completely dominating your lane it will be pretty hard to make it to the late game with good enough CS and kills etc.

Viable Top Lane Jax Build?:
Merc Treads
Trinity Force
Hextech Gunblade
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Warmogs Armour
GA if getting focused/Blood Thirster if not getting focused

Pretty much the exact same as Shady Stranger's. Why get the blade of the ruined king over blood thirster? Is it purely for the active?, which does sound amazing, but a stacked BT's stats just seem to outweigh the benefits of the ruined king's stats plus active. With stacked BT and guinsoo's passive you get a whopping 38% life steal. Combine this with the 60AD more you get from a BT (stacked for 100 total AD) over the ruined king and jax becomes a wrecking ball and a half.

Illana

07-01-2013

ruined king is great with jaxes attack speed and also the active is very strong after a leap+stun combo since jax has no other slows

Inaphyt

07-01-2013

No change from season 2...... boots of swift, trinity, shurelias, randuins, wits end, guardian