[strategy] building a team

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aziraphael

22-06-2010

Hi there,
thats no guide, i just think the strategy section fits the topic best.

feel free to discuss good team-builds, in general and in specific.

in general, i think a good team has to be able to do the following:

1) have high burst damage when a teamfight starts, so 2 mages/nukers that can deal massive dmg to the enemy team

2) 2 dps champions that are not limited by cooldowns and deal huge constant physical damage. good to have at least 1 ranged

3) 1 tank that can initiate a teamfight right (amumu, cho, alistar, malphite, shen, rammus best, 2nd rate mundo, mordekaiser, gragas), do some CC and has high survibility

4) always good to have 1 stealth champion in your team to force enemies to waste money on wards and oracle

what do you think?

imo a lot of random teams already fail at selecting champions.

they dont think "what needs the team" - they think "oh uhm im in the mood to play .." and the team ends up with stuff like 2 supporters + 3 mages.. 2 tanks, 1 supporter, 2 dps.. teams without tanks at all.. teams with no ranged.. awfull experiences.

i tend to push ppl to choose other champions.. but often they dont listen and we loose.. they blame stuff like "xyz is op!" then.. but i think a good champion combination is the first step to victory.

DeadMind

22-06-2010

dps - twitch, tristana, teemo, shaco
mage - annie, kassadin, gragas, blitz, veigar
tank - rammus or amumu

Pick a combination of these and you get easy win!

Your Doom

23-06-2010

Some champions are hybrids (eg. Blitz is tank-mage)

Imo esential is to have 1-2 tanks, both magic and physical dmg and some cc.

Catalyse

23-06-2010

A team should have at least one real tank, at least one carry, At least 2 heroes which have high range aoe attacks (ex ashe with multiple arrows), to spam in teamfights.

After that, stun or CC is what you're looking for. Assists, if played well, can be great, but only one by team imo.

Stealth is nice, but not very necessary.

Catalyse

23-06-2010

Quote:
but i think a good champion combination is the first step to victory.
btw that's true.

Pylat

23-06-2010

Nice idea of OP, but in reality things like team setup is really complicated. since what champions you are going with really depends on what you want to do.

In short, I find that there are a couple of overall gameplay strategies you should have in mind when you select champions.

1) Augmented physical DPS
Basicly this team consist of the Strong physical carries (ashe, ezreal), then 2 champions that augment the damage and protect the carries (taric, janna, sivir, shen), and lastly your wildcard magic dps source to prevent counter by mass armor stacking. (shaco, annie, kassadin, zilian)
This strategy wins by very high sustained DPS, if the enemy is not able to take down your physical champions within seconds of initiation, they will be melted in seconds. and since the carries are protected very well by their own skills (volley and teleport) as well as shen taunt, janna shield, and ulti, kassadin slow, tibbers stun, zilian revive, speed/slow, shaco puppet and taric stun. It is pretty much impossible to win a teamfight against this team unless your enemy brings insane burst damage.

2) AOE nuke
This build use 2 classic Mage DPS style heroes (annie, kassadin, fiddlesticks, zilian). for initiation you need tanks that support the magical damage burst (amumu, malphite, rammus). One physical carry to prevent magic resist stacking (ashe, twitch) one wildcard, that can either be a jungler (shaco), or support (soraka, taric)
The strategy is to force a teamfight, either by pushing or threatening nashor kill. scout well with wards or twitch and initiate once the enemy clump together. Initiate with your tank, and instantly follow up will all AOE skills to decimate the enemy team in seconds.

3) PVE Team
This build want to push all lanes all the time utilizing strong 1v1 champs and avoid teamfighting at all cost. and kite the enemy to death whenever they try to move after you. the natural strong picks for this approach are Shaco and Nidale, the secondary healer can either be Taric or Kayle, for the last 2 spots you can chose a champ like Kassadin, or a strong lane defender and kiters like anivia or ashe depending on what you need. Wildcard champions that are strong for this kind of build is master yi for insane pushing speed, shen for more tankability and mobility, or tryndamare for towerdiving and quick escapes.
The success of this strategy all depends on how well you control the map, and force enemy to split up all the time. Use wards traps from shaco and nidale to get vision of the entire map. and gank enemies whenever they venture a litte too far. while you slowly contain them in the base. If the enemy should try to push out of their base with 5 champions, fall back from that lane immediately, and push the other 2 lanes hard. and some point you will eventually wipe the enemy team at their front door, and you will take down their 3 inhibs in short order.

4) Slowpush
The strategy here is to set up a base in front of the enemy base, and then slowly take tower after tower. Central heroes for setting up a base the enemy cannot go near are Heimerdinger, blitzcrank and shaco. Besides heimer, you need another hero that can deal damage from afar to soften up the enemy while they are under their tower (ashe, ezreal, sivir). For the wildcard you can pick something your team lack, good choices could be a mage (annie, kassadin) or healer (taric, kayle, nidale).
Building aura items are a top priority for this strategy, where emblem, starks, mana manipulator/soul shroud and aegis should be acquired before hard pushing begins.
If everything fails, you can still easily win the game on the back of 4 man turtling while shaco backdoors everything.

I could write a lot more about how these strategies should be executed, but for now I don't want to spend hours to create a wall of text.

Barbariandude15

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

23-06-2010

+1 to Pylat for epic wall of text.

Personally, I'm a big fan of what you call 'PvE', or what I call guerilla warfare style.

With a few friends of mine, it consists of 3 strong defensive heroes (the types you put in the 'Slowpush' strategy) with twisted fate and shen the 'guerilla' portion of it, hunting down towers whenever the enemy is out of position.

The most important part of this strategy is for the 3 defensive heroes to not get involved in an actual fight if they can possibly prevent it.

We get lots of ragers whining about 'backdoor', but we enjoy this style of play, and it really makes a change from the canonical, almost obligatory "Tank'n'Spank" teamfight mentality most players have, as well as (we hope) opening peoples eyes to alternative methods of bringing down the nexus (that is the goal, after all, not hero kills).

Zylor

28-06-2010

i prefer the - let shaco do it - strategie

u just need a shaco who jungles and u win

Aku nò Hana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-06-2010

I just suggest that everyone stops picking teams with 4-5 DPSers.

Bloodthorne

30-06-2010

1 ranged physical DPS (tristana, ezreal, ashe)
2 ranged magic burst (annie, malzahar, fiddlesticks, kassadin etc)
1 support/tank (taric, alistar, shen (aura build), etc)
1 tank/DPS (Garen, Mundo, Malphite, Shen, etc)

in total you should have more then 7 points in CC in your team;
stun, (reliable) fear, taunt, airknock (with stun) = 2 points
slow, silence, root (immobilize), airknock (without stun) = 1 point

Best to spread the CC around on multiple characters as to not get shutdown if 1 dies.

atleast that is how i look at it. My team would be something like this:
Taric (aura build)
Annie (nuker)
Garen (DPS/tank hybrid)
Ezreal (AD)
Fiddlesticks (jungler/nuker)
total CC points are 8 (2 stuns, 2 silence, 1 fear