Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 42
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

20-12-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

[aws3]news/December_2012/2012_12_20_Champion_Pricing_Changes/Champion Price Reduction Article Banner.jpg[/aws3]

Hey guys,

We’ve been talking to players about how they feel about pricing for a while now – we’ve talked with you on the forums, ran surveys, met with some of you in person, and listened to your feedback.

As a result of those conversations, we’re making some changes to champion pricing aimed at generally lowering champion prices and making it easier for you to add to your champion collection. This plan will involve immediate and ongoing reductions of IP and RP prices of older champions, as well as increasing the time you have to earn IP between champion releases.

We will also be slightly increasing the first-week IP price of new champions to partially offset lower overall prices.

Here’s the plan, which is being implemented immediately:

New Champion Release Schedule

You may have already noticed the rate at which we’ve been releasing champions has slowed. Moving forward, we’re targeting 14-17 new champions in 2013 -- around one every 3-4 weeks. This gives you more time to accumulate IP between champion releases, and it enables our design team to spend more time developing and polishing each new champion.

RP and IP Price Tiers

We’ve also updated the RP cost of champions so that that they’re more strongly correlated with the IP price. RP costs now match IP cost accordingly:

• 450 IP = 260 RP
  • 1350 IP = 585 RP
  • 3150 IP = 790 RP
  • 4800 IP = 880 RP
  • 6300 IP = 975 RP
  • 7800 IP (first week) = 975 RP

Immediate Price Reductions

The seven oldest 6300 IP champions (Ezreal, Vladimir, Renekton, Nocturne, Lee Sin, Brand and Vayne) have all been reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP. As with all permanent price reductions, we’ll automatically refund the difference for anyone who’s purchased one of these champions up to two weeks prior to today. These refunds will likely take at least a few days to fully process.

Price Reduction Schedule

Every time a new champion is released, the oldest 6300 IP/975 RP champion will be reduced to 4800 IP/880 RP.

Also, with every third champion release, an additional champion currently priced at 4800 IP or lower will be reduced to the next lowest tier, based on age and ease of play.

New Champion First-Week IP Price

All brand-new champions will cost 7800 IP/975 RP for the first week only, and will be reduced to 6300 IP thereafter.

Tl;dr:

• New champion launch price is… 7800 IP / 975 RP
  • After one week, the price is reduced to… 6300 IP / 975 RP
  • Each release, the oldest 6300 is reduced to… 4800 IP / 880 RP
  • Each third release, an additional 4800 IP or lower champion is reduced to one of the remaining tiers…
    • 3150 IP / 790 RP
    • 1350 IP / 585 RP
    • 450 IP / 260 RP

Jimmyduck

20-12-2012

Increase and decrease ... i guess its ok :)

Tsvetesman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

20-12-2012

This is great!

Emeritus

20-12-2012

Great! I've always found the IP reductions a little too random, actually creating a system where you know when someone is getting IP reduced is fantastic!

RobinDG

20-12-2012

I bought Ezreal 3 months ago. So i don't get 1500 ip?

billylollol

20-12-2012

that old champions to 4800 was needed fantastic update

Rey Bangs

20-12-2012

wow this sounds good.
Now go and make some of the old champions more viable.

Etna the Undying

20-12-2012

Nice :) really looking forward for IP reduction, only champions i am missing atm are the 4800 and 6300 ones :) having some of then to 3150 would be nice :)

Vendorlicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

20-12-2012

Very happy with this, a very well revised and improved pricing structure that also shows that Riot are really in touch with the community

EvilPolitics

20-12-2012

In a way I agree with this, especially the lower IP -> RP relevance.

However, I do not agree with the champion price reduction! Because I think that some champions should stay "special" and should always remain priced at 6300 IP / 975 RP. These champions were especially Vladimir, Ezreal and Lee Sin for me and I also think that Irelia should have still been 6300 IP. This because the gameplay and the champions just seem a lot more unique and special to me than other champions.

EDIT

Well.. I noticed that people dont like this post -30 xD thats a record!@ Thnx for that ^^

But allow me to explain myself. For Vlad and Ez, these champs were really old and were never made cheaper while all the others around their time of release date are a lot cheaper (4800, 3150 and even 1350), I just liked to think of them as these nice classic champions that are liked and loved but still keep a bit of their uniqueness or however you want to call it... xD

For Lee Sin, I just think that this is a champ who can be completely appreciated and liked by people with a lot of experience, just because of the way he moves, the ward w combo and the q to drag, baron, monster or enemy with which I have had these insane plays and insane escapes. The combo's and almost endless possibility's of this champ made him 1 of my favorites for a long time now and I saved for him when I just reached level 30 and I have only learned to fully appreciate him a few months back and yet I have still so much more to learn with this champ. So not only for his release date, I just think that Lee Sin should have remained at 6300 so that people will buy him when they really have the elo to spend, which is at a moment that they have a lot more experience in the game. Because no matter how much I like this champ, I have seen people play so badly with him...

1234511 ... 42