Ahri/Leona/Diana/Nocturne short story

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hawke Solaris

11-12-2012

“Sunsets are beautiful! I love watching them!”
Two female humans were walking across the grounds of the Institute of War in Runeterra. One was wearing a golden flowing dress which glowed softly in the sunlight. Her brown hair reflected sunlight subtly as it was blown by the gentle evening breeze. Her brown eyes gazed over towards the horizon as the orange sun retreated out of sight as night approached. She walked slowly, barefoot across the lush green grass that grew. She quietly began to sing a song:
“Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Swiftly flow the days. Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers. Blossoming even as we gaze.”
The woman beside her watched the sun with amber eyes. Her jet black hair, like her companion’s, blew gently in the breeze. A striking part of her appearance were the 9 fluffy white fox tails that all moved gently, sometimes twitching, sometimes waving. She smiled as she listened to her friend singing before joining her:
“Sunrise, sunset. Sunrise, sunset. Swiftly fly the years. One season following another. Laden with happiness and tears.”
As they both finished singing, the sun set over the horizon, leaving a trail of red, yellow, orange, purple and dark blue in its wake.
“Thanks for suggesting this Leona, I never truly appreciated the sunsets before” the 9-tailed woman said to the other.
Leona smiled and nodded, watching with a hint of sadness as the sun’s light faded.
“It was my pleasure, Ahri. As you can see, it’s getting a bit too late for me personally. I think I’m going to retire for the night. We should watch a sunrise though, they are just as beautiful, if not more so than sunsets.”
“I’d love to” Ahri said, smiling brightly at the idea. “How about the morning after tomorrow?”
Leona nodded, smiling whilst brushing her hair out of her eyes.
“Thanks Leona.”
“For what?”
“For being my friend” Ahri said, her smile gone, replaced with a look of sadness. “I’ve had trouble fitting in with the other champions since I arrived.”
Ahri walked for a moment before sitting down on the grass, all her tails bunching up into one large fluffy tail which she wrapped around her. Leona, concerned, sat down next to her.
“Not many champions trust me. My past puts many of the more... human champions at unease.”
Ahri raised her hand and a blue orb suddenly formed, hovering above her palm whilst illuminating the pain in her eyes.
“Being human has been the only thing I’ve wanted. I didn’t feel I belonged as a fox. I scavenged, hunted lesser creatures and it was like I didn’t exist. No other fox could feel it. I looked at humans and I saw greatness. Humans don’t just survive, they thrive. They create. They see more in the world like I do. But I was alone in my thoughts as a fox.”
Leona said nothing, giving Ahri the time she needed to talk.
“My wish was granted though. A mage was dying after a great battle. I was curious about how he did the amazing things he did on the field- he summoned pillars of flames with the snap of his fingers, hurled energy balls that he conjured at his foes. It was so intriguing. I wanted to know what his secret was. I... walked up to where he lay. He sensed my presence and called me over with a broken voice. ‘Approach creature of this world’ he said. I approached cautiously but with excitement. I looked into his old grey eyes. He then said ‘Take this power and use it well, I will free you of this gift’. Then... I felt this greatness inside me... like a flame being lit that was spreading through me. I felt... different. When I returned to the foxes, they fled. I looked at myself in the river and saw I had become partially human!”
A tear of joy came from Ahri’s eyes, which she wiped away with one of her fluffy tails.
“But the transformation wasn’t complete. I was more human in form, but I still had fur, whiskers, tails and claws. I was lost at first, trying to find my way. I was approached by a hunter with a bow and arrow one night. He readied his bow. I... I killed him.”
Leona remained silent.
“I reacted without thinking. I somehow conjured an orb of energy and threw it into him. He screamed in agony. I silenced him in case he had any friends with him. When I touched the orb though, I felt the greatness inside once more. When I looked at myself in a river again, the fur had receded noticeably. I realised what I had to do to become more human. I... I killed again, and again, and again. It got harder to do as time went by though. As more people vanished, authorities took more precautions to strangers like me turning up out of nowhere. I turned to seducing young men to steal their souls for my own use. I would lie, cheat and steal everything from them. Usually they were easy to seduce- they’d want me in bed due to my looks. Some were difficult and I had to charm. But I would always take them to their rooms and... at first I was fine with it, since it is everything I wanted... but...”
“But you began to regret it?” Leona asked, gently.
Ahri nodded.
“At first it felt no different to killing a rabbit to eat. But the more I killed, the more this feeling.... like a weight on my stomach began to get heavier and heavier. Eventually I found myself shedding tears over those I stole. It felt wrong and I thought I was turning into a monster. It’s ironic in its own way- the more human I became, the more demonic I felt.”
“Is that why you came to the League? To seek help?”
“They said they would help me become fully human in return for my services, but the wait might be rather long as human transformations are unexplored.”
“Are you coping with the wait?”
It's hard to wait around for something that you know might not happen. But it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you ever wanted. “
A tear trickled down Ahri’s cheek, flowing over the three black streaks. Leona put her arm over Ahri’s shoulder and gently hugged her. Ahri wrapped her tails around Leona’s back as she rested her head on Leona’s shoulder, more tears forming from her closed eyes.
“You’re more human than other humans I’ve met, Ahri. It’s not what you are, but what you do that defines you. You chose the morality and gave up on killing, seeking a better path. And since it led to us meeting, I’m glad for your choice.”
The two sat in silence as night crept across the sky.
“Well, it’s late. I’d best be off. Will you be okay?” Leona asked, standing up.
“I’ll stay here for a bit, I should be okay.”
Leona smiled, nodded and set off for her quarters.
“Oh, Leona?” Ahri called.
Leona turned, puzzled.
“... thanks... for everything.”
Leona smile returned and she winked.
-----
Still in the same spot, Ahri watched the stars in the night sky, twinkling brightly on the clear night. The full moon shone gently upon the ground, illuminating all with a white light. As the time passed, Ahri began tumbling around the grounds, cartwheeling, somersaulting, rolling and flipping to stretch her body out. The exercise helped her feel more relaxed until she heard a twig snap.
Taken by surprise, Ahri fell to the floor mid-tumble. Scrambling to her feet, Ahri remained in a lowered defensive posture, her 9 tails all pointing towards where the sound came from. A blue orb suddenly materialised above her, hovering whilst illuminating her face with a soft blue glue. Her fox ears both turned directly towards a tree that stood in the grounds- the sound had come from behind it. Slowly, a shape stepped out from behind the trees, stepping into the soft light of the moon.
Ahri’s amber eyes focussed upon a woman standing before her, dressed in grey armour and carrying a glowing sword shaped like the crescent moon. Diana, the scorn of the moon, glared at Ahri, rage etched on every inch of her face.
“What did you say to Leona?” she growled, her crescent blade gripped firmly but currently touching the ground. She currently seemed somewhat relaxed with a passive posture, but Diana wasn’t known remain passive and peaceful.
“My conversations between fellow champions are none of your business” Ahri answered calmly, but remained in her defensive posture, her orb just a thought away from being thrown at Diana.
“Wrong answer” Diana said.
With a sudden sweep of her blade, Diana sent out a glowing shockwave that arced from the blade towards Ahri. With lightning reflexes, Ahri’s white fluffy tails all bunched up into one and she somersaulted backwards, barely dodging the shockwave as it arced round where she had been crouched. Without hesitation, Ahri counterattacked by throwing her orb directly at Diana’s chest. Calling upon the glowing moon above her however, Diana raised a lunar shield. With a loud crash, the orb bounced off the shield, shattering it before returning to Ahri.
“The council of the Solari wouldn’t tell me the truth. I killed them. Do you wish to meet the same fate?” Diana asked, holding her blade behind her, ready for another sweep.
“Leona and I are friends, Diana. We didn’t mention you in our conversation, so there’s really nothing of value for you to learn.”
“LIAR!”
With Diana’s sudden scream, she charged at Ahri at the speed of light. Before Ahri could even blink, Diana was upon her. The impact alone knocked Ahri backwards, sending her stumbling backwards. Using her tails, she managed to quickly regain her balance, but not fast enough as Diana brought her blade round in a backhand-slash across her abdomen.
Ahri screamed in pain, clutching her stomach where blood was starting to freely weep from the deep wound. She stumbled backwards slightly before regaining her balance as Diana raised her blade for another strike. Ahri summoned three orbs of blue fire which began to hover around her before suddenly flying straight at Diana like missiles. Without her shield protecting her, the fox fires struck Diana directly in the chest, knocking her off her feet momentarily. Seething with rage, Diana quickly got to her feet as Ahri crouched defensively, holding her stomach as it continued to bleed profusely.
“No more lies. I know what you are and what you do, fox. It’s not going to work on me” Diana said menacingly, calmly wiping Ahri’s blood off her blade whilst walking towards her.
Ahri looked at Diana both in shock and pain as she began to cough up her own blood.
“Oh yes, I know what you did. All those people you killed so you could become this. I can see why you’re friends with a Solari. Pathetic creature” Diana spat on the ground near Ahri in disgust.
“You... don’t know anything... about me...” Ahri gasped, trying to speak as her mouth began to fill with her own blood with its unpleasant metallic taste.
Diana slapped Ahri’s face with the side of her blade, sending her tumbling onto the floor in a mass of white fluffy tails. Lying on the floor clutching her stomach, Ahri protectively covered herself with her tails as she lay on the floor.
“And I see Leona is nowhere to help her friend when she’s lying there bleeding to death. You follow a false light, fox” Diana said coldly.
Ahri twitched on the floor, quietly coughing, her breaths becoming more sharp and desperate.
“Knock knock...” came a loud, deep, growling voice that echoed from all directions.
Diana flinched, looking around in shock and raising her blade defensively.
“ Who’s there?!” she called out, nervous.
“DARKNESSSSS!” the voice roared.
With the sound of thunder, the twilight became utter darkness. The lanterns nearby all immediately extinguished and the world nearby vanished into the deep black that replaced it. The moon, which had been shining brightly above, was suddenly extinguished as the black swallowed it up hungrily. Without its lunar energies, Diana felt her strength ebb significantly.
“No... the moon... what is this!?” Diana said, horrified.
“Are you my nightmare? Or am I... yours!?” the voice called out again, coming from all directions like an evil spirit.
Diana constantly scanned the darkness, trying to find her adversary.
“Drip drop... the sound of blood...” the voice came from near Ahri.
Diana spun around to see Ahri lying down in a pool of blood, twitching under her 9 tails.
“Help... me... please...” Ahri squeaked weakly to the unseen foe.
The darkness swallowed Ahri up and she was lost from Diana’s vision.
“Help is not coming” Diana growled in Ahri’s direction, fear starting to show in her voice.
“I sense fear...” the voice said.
“Ha! It is you who should be afraid!” Diana called out confidently to the darkness.
The voice laughed evilly in response, the voice echoing from all around.
Suddenly, with a roar, a shape began to appear in the darkness. At first all Diana could see were 2 extremely sharp blades, serrated and pulsing. Then came 2 glowing white eyes that looked like they were burning on their own accord, fixed on Diana’s horrified expression. The rest of the body formed- a torso and 2 arms with long, thin, pointy fingered hands and a smoky black tail instead of legs. The demon flowed freely through the air without effort, like a body flowing through water. It was Nocturne, the eternal darkness.
Instinctively, Diana sent a lunar shockwave at Nocturne. The light arced from the blade towards the spectre, but just before it could strike, Nocturne vanished into the darkness, his laughter echoing out eerily through the black. Diana spun around, trying to relocate him, keeping her blade raised defensively- Nocturne’s blades weren’t for show, she had learned that from what Nocturne did on the Fields of Justice.
“All alone” Nocturne’s voice whispered in Diana’s ears.
Diana span around, sweeping her blade as she did. With a loud metallic clang, her blade smashed into one of Nocturne’s blades. Nocturne’s other blade moved towards Diana’s neck in a swift slashing motion. Diana ducked what would certainly have been her decapitation, then called down the Moon’s power to shield her. A white-yellow shield once more engulfed Diana protectively, but it was immediately strained by Nocturne’s vicious strikes. She sent another lunar shockwave at Nocturne. Nocturne easily dodged the attack, and threw a dark-blue cloud at Diana. The cloud rushed towards her at impossible speed and formed a frightening shaped just before it struck her- it turned into a monstrous pair of jaws with sharp teeth that opened up and bit down upon her entire form as it struck. Diana’s shield broke under the impact.
Diana gathered her courage and charged at Nocturne, her blade thrust out to impale him. She was just inches from him before he once again vanished into the deep black with a sinister laugh- Diana’s blade met nothing but thin air in the unnatural dark.
“Swim in terror!” Nocturne growled behind her.
Diana struck her blade into the ground, creating an impact of lunar energy that drew in all around her, including Nocturne’s form. Sensing he was floating right behind her, Diana spun with her blade out. Nocturne floated upwards slightly as Diana’s blade passing harmlessly through his ghostly tail. With an unnatural growl, red energy beams extended out from Nocturne’s hands to Diana’s head. Diana tried to cut the binds with her blade, but it passed through them like they were made of air.
Without warning, Diana suddenly felt her body leave her as her mind began swimming in hallucinations directed by Nocturne. She was standing before the Solari council as the executioner came towards her with a sword marked with a symbol of the Sun. She was calling for the Moon to protect her but it would not answer her call as the sword was raised.
“No!” Diana broke free of the visions to see Nocturne’s eyes watching her, burning in the darkness.
Nocturne laughed evilly as another hallucination bombarded Diana’s mind. The council were all surrounding her, calling her a heretic, a traitor, a liar. Her parents were looking at her with disgust and contempt. Her friends were all dancing around taunting her.
“Stop it!” Diana again broke free temporarily.
“Suffer eternally!” Nocturne growled.
The moon was setting but was suddenly pulled from orbit. Like a helpless animal, it began being dragged across the night sky until it reached the over side. The sun rose triumphantly, inches from the moon. Like a demon, the sun suddenly showed eyes, evilly staring at the moon. It opened up near its centre with massive flaming jaws with sharp teeth and swallowed the moon whole, destroying it in an instant.
“NO!” Diana fell to the ground, dropping her blade and holding her head with both hands, tormented by the malevolent images Nocturne was planting in her mind.
“Enough!” a voice called.
The imaged immediately left Diana’s mind and she fully collapsed onto the ground, eyes closed firmly as she fainted from the trauma.
A woman in golden armour, carrying a large golden shield and sword which both seemed to give off light by themselves, approached the scene. With a golden band in her flowing brown hair, Leona had arrived to help.
“You dare command me?” Nocturne asked, sharpening his blades on themselves with slow, deliberate, almost threatening intentions.
“Stop this and leave, please” Leona asked, keeping her shield and sword at the ready.
Nocturne’s response was to charge directly at Leona, blades outstretched. Leona immediately raised her sword, blocking the blades from impaling her. Whilst there was a loud metallic clang, there wasn’t so much as a scratch on Leona’s shield. Nocturne assaulted with blow after blow- any blows that could get past the broad shield, Leona blocked with her sword. With constant attacks failing, Nocturne became increasingly frustrated and became more aggressive and feral as a result. Retracting his right arm blade, Nocturne grabbed Leona’s shield and began to wrestle it out of Leona’s grasp whilst locking her sword down with his other blade. Leona fought against Nocturne but couldn’t summon the strength to overpower such an entity and was slowly losing her grip on her shield as it was being ripped away from her. Before too long, Leona couldn’t hold and the shield was tossed aside away from the pair. Taking her sword in both hands, Leona blocked blow after blow from Nocturne as he re-extended his arm blade out and continued his aggressive relentless assault.
Unable to initially break her front, Nocturne began vanishing into the darkness, only to reappear near instantaneously behind Leona and attempt to strike from behind and above. He began mixing in these hit-and-run tactics with his feral endless attacks, wearing Leona down slowly but surely as she began to tire whilst Nocturne seemed as fresh as ever. The duo locked blades one moment, Leona trying to hold her ground as Nocturne bared his strength against her. Tiring and unable to match Nocturne’s strength, she was shoved back further and further. Sensing Leona’s weakness, Nocturne doubled his strikes, savagely shoving Leona back further.
Tired, Leona realised she needed her shield back or she would be killed very quickly. Glancing around quickly, she spotted it laying a few feet away from her. With a surge of strength, she parried Nocturne’s blow, shoving him away with unexpected force that momentarily surprised him. Without hesitation, she ran straight her shield, diving for it as Nocturne pursued her. Grabbing it, she immediately rolled over and thrust the shield outwards. With a loud clang, the shield hit Nocturne’s body full force, sending him flying upwards, disorientated.
Getting to her feet, Leona closed her eyes and called to the Sun to shine once more:
“Eternal Sun, bearer of light, guider of all! Shine brightly once more to protect me!”
Nocturne had just closed in on Leona when a bright light began shining from above through the unnatural darkness. Surprised, Nocturne looked upwards just as everything was lit up in bright daylight. The darkness parted as if a blanket was being removed slowly across the world. The world rematerialised into existence as the Sun shone directly overhead.
Nocturne groaned in agony as he shielded his eyes from the bright Sun. Not hesitating, Leona went on the offensive against him, striking with her now shining sword. Blinded by the light above and from her weapons, Nocturne had difficulty blocking her attacks and was forced backwards. Able to create a gap in his defences, Leona thrust her sword out and impaled Nocturne directly in his chest. Clutching the -blade that ran him through, Nocturne growled angrily, glaring at Leona. Leona smiled confidently.
“The Sun always rises.”
“This victory will soon turn to despair!” Nocturne spat.
Raising his arms upwards, a loud bolt of thunder was heard as the darkness began to return to the world, covering all in the black blanket that once stood. Leona removed her sword from his chest and pointed it directly at the Sun, willing it to shine through the darkness. Both Nocturne and Leona mentally fought one another, both commanding their powers to beat one another. Darkness and light fought out each other, pushing for dominance as the bearers mentally fought one another. Unable to beat her, Nocturne surrendered the light dominance and charged at Leona. Taken by surprise by the sudden aggression, Nocturne’s surge of attacks shoved her to the ground.
Triumphant, Nocturne seized his chance and brought the world into total darkness save the Sun which still shined directly overhead. Leona, sensing her chance of winning a fight in the dark against Nocturne was impossible, stood up. She first threw her sword at Nocturne, directly impaling him once more in the chest. Charging at him, she then butted his face with her shield, disorientating him long enough for her to step back just before a large powerful blast of light descended onto him from the Sun.
With an explosion of light, all darkness vanished as Nocturne was blasted into the ground which became scorched under the intense light. Struggling slightly, Nocturne screamed in pain as his shrank into the ground, almost as if he was drowning. He had been defeated for now.
Leona sighed from exhaustion and got down on her knees, closing her eyes to thank the Sun for its help, which was now shining brightly above her. Glancing around, she saw that Ahri was already being attended to by Soraka, who was sitting down beside Ahri, gently healing her wounds.

nexuschronus

29-12-2012

Very, VERY good, you somehow managed to combine good story temming with my favorite champions. I'd love to see more of your work.

That said, the story feels a bit rushed at the end as Soraka just comes out of nowhere. Still i reccomend you finnish the story. A moment where Diana is forced to thank Leona for technically saving her ass from being torn to shreds would be intense to say the least. Also i have to mention that according to the lore, Nocturne was captured after an attack near a nexus and was then bound to The Summoners' will. As such i doubt he'd have and easy time escaping. Then again, this story wouldn't exist without him, would it?

If you could and would, could you take a look at my post? These are some of my scribbles as I try to write a composition actually worth a read. Thank you in advance!

Arachnos

30-12-2012

WOW +1

SalahadinTehBull

04-01-2013

Great story! For some reason it won't let me give you thumbs up :\

Hawke Solaris

29-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexuschronus View Post
Very, VERY good, you somehow managed to combine good story temming with my favorite champions. I'd love to see more of your work.

That said, the story feels a bit rushed at the end as Soraka just comes out of nowhere. Still i reccomend you finnish the story. A moment where Diana is forced to thank Leona for technically saving her ass from being torn to shreds would be intense to say the least. Also i have to mention that according to the lore, Nocturne was captured after an attack near a nexus and was then bound to The Summoners' will. As such i doubt he'd have and easy time escaping. Then again, this story wouldn't exist without him, would it?

If you could and would, could you take a look at my post? These are some of my scribbles as I try to write a composition actually worth a read. Thank you in advance!
Thanks for the comments! I apologise for how long it's taken me to respond- I've had exams for my degree in real life so I haven't been looking at the forums in a long time.

The ending is a bit abrupt, yes I agree. I am planning to continue it in the future when I get some more time to write. A moment of Diana having to thank Leona would be an interesting challenge to write convincingly. I'm trying to write Diana as an extremely angry and bitter person towards Leona and I'll have to consider how such a person would thank someone they deeply resent for saving their life.

Yes, you are right. Nocturne is, in my interpretation of the lore, at all times locked up in a cell like other dangerous champions- Brand for instance- and is never let out for a stroll. However, like in my previous story (called "The Fox and the Croc"- a google search should find it) from time to time, some dangerous champions get let loose by accident resulting in incidents like this story. In TFatC, Renekton also got loose and immediately attempted to take revenge on Nasus- the Summoners responsible for the release of Renekton were punished by Lord Morello (in my stories, the head of the League and an extremely evil overlord-type character). In this story, I admit I haven't explained at all how Nocturne got loose, but I was aiming again for a simple security lapse to allow Nocturne to break free from his cell and immediately attempt to escape. Upon sighting Diana harming Ahri though outside in the grounds as he was making his escape, he couldn't resist but interefere with their struggle and take the opportunity to torment Diana (he is drawn to fear and anger like a moth to a flame- Diana's fear over what Leona could have told Ahri was noticeable enough to attract his attention).

Thanks for the post though. I hope you like my explanations and I apologise for not writing them in the short story itself ^^

Thanks to the other 2 posts too- sorry, not sure how to multiquote on this forum

Teemoprooo

13-02-2013

them was doing a orgy?

xXTheJoJoostXx

16-02-2013

Didn't read the story, but one up for effort!
(I don't like reading that much)

kohout

20-02-2013

Love the "Knock, knock" joke, although I've seen it already on elohell.net

Hawke Solaris

21-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemoprooo View Post
them was doing a orgy?
I'm not 100% sure of what you're asking. If it's what I assume it to be, then no, no they were not. Unless your idea of an "orgy" is a group of people fighting with swords and gutting each other... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheJoJoostXx View Post
Didn't read the story, but one up for effort!
(I don't like reading that much)
Thanks, hope you find the energy to read through it all though- I appreciate feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohout View Post
Love the "Knock, knock" joke, although I've seen it already on elohell.net
So that's where it originated from? I first saw it on reddit personally and enjoyed it so much that I threw it in this story as a reference and tribute to it.
Thanks for reading

Zak Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

25-03-2013

That was awesome! You had Leona, Ahri and Diana, three of my favourite champions all in one story along with lovely flowing writing.

(And I like Nocturne, just not as much as the others ^^’)

The only thing that through me off was the paragraph of the ending, it just felt a little rushed but other than that I really enjoyed the read. I hope you keep up the good work.