CLAIRVOYANCE: Will the Patch bring it back to competitive play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThriasTheDragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

What is going to change?

Clairvoyance
Duration increased to 5 seconds from 4
Cooldown reduced to 60 seconds from 70
Radius reduced to 1200 from 1400
Improved Clairvoyance now maintains sight on units revealed by Clairvoyance for 5 seconds instead of extending the duration by 2 seconds

Mastermind (3/3 Points)
Reduces the cooldown of Summoner Spells by 10%

Eleisa's Miracle
UNIQUE Passive - Aid: Your Summoner Heal, Revive and Clairvoyance cooldowns are reduced by 20%.

While the Radius has been reduced quite a bit, the longer duration and the short cooldown (~45 Sec with both Mastermind and Eleisha's Miracle) combined with the "champion stalking" from Improved Clairvoyance mean a HUGE buff to the forgotten summoner spell.

I have always been a huge fan of CV because it provides you with map awareness and object control while not putting yourself in the same danger as you do during warding (especially lategame!).

The downside is (obv) the short duration of the vision compaired to a ward.
The reason CV left competitive play in the first place was because ward spamming became a common thing while the cooldown of CV was increased. Wards made the summoner obsolete. (The advantage of having a second offensive/defensive Summoner Spell in Bottom Lane beeing another reason)

Recently early Oracles are getting more common as a counter to the ward spamming. This also means that CV is more important since it's a reliant uncounterable tool.

On the other hand new items provide free wards which means getting wards destroyed is no longer such a loss gold wise AND Oracle might be nerfed (haven't found it on the official patch notes but as far as I remember Oracle might get a duration similar to the Elixires).

Alltogether I think while CV has been buffed quite a lot I doubt that it will become a common pick like it used to be back in the days!

What are your opinions on that?

Xyrion

04-12-2012

I love CV and used it alot back when it was used by all the supports. What you have to keep in mind is that the botlane is still agressive in the current meta which means they will still benefit more from Exh+Ign then from lets say CV+Heal. So it all depends when S3 comes out if botlane will be abit more passive or not.

Im not a pro player so maybe Im wrong. I really hope to see more CVs and that the current aggressive bot-meta can be abit more flexible

tXo Stix

04-12-2012

i think supports will still play along with flash and exhaust. it is just better for teamfights and laningphase

CougarsFaceCheck

04-12-2012

I think we will see it from time to time.

Marzipan

04-12-2012

As main support for my team I was very sad to see CV become non-viable. I'm glad to see that Riot have taken some time to re-work it as it could be an extremely strong choice.

I particularly like the trade off on the range in exchange for revealing spotted enemies for 5 seconds afterward when taking improved CV - this will most assuredly bring back the competitive CV choice - Imagine what this could potentially do on a team with a very strong counter jungler.... I must admit I'm not entirely sure what counter jungling will be like in the new jungle but if it is still viable this could be a very strong counter/aid to those who choose to counter jungle.

Sheetka

04-12-2012

I think its good but still a waste to use in stead of exhaust. Exhaust is also nonreplaceable by any items

CrtclDmg

04-12-2012

Guess its still not top choice. Wards do the trick too, especially if the support hast the possibility to place them cost effective with the new items. Exhaust brings more to the game, especially with the agressive support meta.

ThriasTheDragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetka View Post
I think its good but still a waste to use in stead of exhaust. Exhaust is also nonreplaceable by any items
I think this is one of the major problems of CV

Manixxz

04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriasTheDragon View Post
I think this is one of the major problems of CV
betrayer of the light, be gone.

Nightcrest

04-12-2012

I do not believe CV will ever become viable again. It was a very viable spell before the season 2 proffesional games took place that illustrated to the playerbase the functionality of providing vision through wards.

Wards are cheap and do not require a summoner spell slot. In addition, the new sighstone items are making CV even more of a bad pick.

With those items being in the game, CV can only be useful in Twisted Treeline. In order for it to become usefull in SR again, it needs to be greatly buffed (kinda like providing a TF ulti effect).