Season 3 Masteries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vaylen Obscuras

30-11-2012

I want to talk about the season 3 masteries. Here as a little reference for you to look at:
http://www.finalesfunkeln.com/s3/#
Anyway, I have noticed a few rather annoying things, even though the new masteries are generally GREAT. But in admission of these few things, I would like to discuss them with the community - and please, give reasons if you criticize. Constructive criticism is always the best one - And it makes you seem more intelligent. That's the reason why I give reasons xD(Warning: Copious amounts of Sarcasm)(That was Sarcasm)(Now you are confused, Ha...!)

However, now to the criticism....
Start... Offense-Tree: Complete Overview:
As with the old offense masteries, the Offense tree is the most flawed.
AP-Based characters have a way too forced way through the tree. Don't know what I mean or don't agree? Well, here is my reasoning, my proof:
Most AP-Based masteries are 4-point-masteries: Blast; Mental Force; Archmage; Sorcery is now more viable to AD's, too - but it has also 4 points; Arcane Knowledge is the obligatory Follow-Up mastery, so it has just one; Spellblade is a special case; Havoc is also an AD-viable case - but it still has 3 points;
Now Look at AD-based Masteries: Alacracity: 4(However, Sorcery is also viable to AD'S now); Brute Force and Lethality: 2; Sunder: 3; Weapon Expertise and Frenzy: 1(both are follow ups).
Conclusion: AD's "need" to use less points and can better customize - increased tower damage, increased minion damage - they have even have that interesting frenzy mastery; Sorcery; Whatever~ And if you dont know what to choose, get havoc - its never bad, especially as it was buffed to 2% now.
Something is wrong there, if you think about it, isn't it?

The next issue I see:
A usual mastery-set up has 21 in one class and 9 in another. Why? Because with 9, you usually get rather important boni of the mastery tree - and 21 is necessary to get to the last tier - and that point is usually VERY strong, so one cannot afford to pass out on it. So lets check the 9-points in a bit more detail.

Offense-Tree: First 9 points:
The first 9 points in Offense are nigh COMPLETELY forced, especially for most AP's. Lets look at the first 3 tiers in detail:
Tier one: As a normal AP, Alacricity is out of the frame; Butcher Can be nice, Summoners Wrath also BUT! Sorcery wins over them usually, so in 90% of all cases, you'll take Sorcery.
For the normal AD: You either take Alacricity or Sorcery. Some benefit from CDR rather much after all. As an AD you can maybe use 3 alacricity+1 summoners wrath - You have a little bit more diversity there.
However, The Tiers 2+3 are for both classes completely written in stone:
AP: Blast; Arcane Knowledge; AD: Deadliness; Weapon Expertise;
Just NO diversity there.
I always liked on some AP's to use Butcher for my 9 points in Offense. It helps out a LOT with last hitting, especially in a duo lane. But that is, for most casters, out of the question now. That is simply bad. I'd also like to see a possiblity to get the Tower Damage Mastery without skipping out on such an important Mastery as Arcane Knowledge or Weapon Expertise - and that with 9 Points. Especially heavily pushing AP's(For example, Karthus) benefit much from this extra-tower damage.

Defense Mastery: 9 Points in it:
You have a lot more options there, BUT! These 4 points in Durability, necessary to get to Veteran's Scars are just crippling customization once again. Usually, you put 9 points in it to get specifically Veteran's Scars, as they are VERY helpful early game - this 30 health are a life Saver. Just 3(Or Maybe 2^^") points in Durability would do the trick already. In terms of tier 2, you already have a bit more of a customization option.

Next is... Utility-Tree: Complete Overview:
This one is simply GOLDEN. The 9 points already give you an array of choices. If you go fully through it, you have some REALLY nice masteries in there. And the Last Tier? 3% more MS? Simply Awesome!
I do not see many problems witht he utility tree, except one: It is OVERFLOODED with 3-point-masteries. That way, one REALLY has to decide, which may be viewed as wished but... It is, IMO, too hard. One or Two 2-point Masteries, maybe another 1 point mastery, would surely make that Tree even better - while not the "best", as it is still utility - the "special" tree.

Now, the obligatory......
Possibly Overpowered Masteries:

Offense:
Frenzy: A mid-late game AD-Carry crits usually on every few hits. So they hit you once and practically have always +10% AS. Problem is: 10% AS may not be that much, but it is completely FREE AS, which makes me deem it as powerful.

Defense:
Tenacious and Relentless: Paired with the obligatory Tenacity Boots tanks have, they've got(After the math has been done for me): aroun 45% Tenacity+Slows get less effective against them - 15% may not seem like much, but it will be helpful. It still seems rather powerful like this to me.

Well, that's about it. I know it is a long text, but I wanted to give proper reasons for my statements - and I made MANY statements. So, if you want, please read through it and give some elaborate answers for me, thanks in Advance!

TL;DR: If you cannot concentrate 3 minutes on reading something, I do not expect you to concentrate 3 minutes on thinking, so just leave this thread alone. If you are in a good mood, flame and troll me - Make me laugh, my servants :3

Broken Future

30-11-2012

they fcuked league of legends alot of item nerfs only good thing is that they added new stuff the new patch is stupid for junglers we dont have regrowth pendant now.

Vaylen Obscuras

30-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzDemonic View Post
they fcuked league of legends alot of item nerfs only good thing is that they added new stuff the new patch is stupid for junglers we dont have regrowth pendant now.
Well, they wanted to improve the jungle, noone can tell how it will work out EXACTLY.
The item changes are so far so good, yet a few new items seem overpowered/abusable. The whole resistemization is a great thing, though.

But anyway, your answer is kinda off-topic... Please refer to what I wrote.

Pywai

30-11-2012

I dont think Pickpocket will OP because 1) there's a 5s CD 2) the opportunity cost of building something around it seems way to high

Need more time to think about other trees.

I really appreciated the proper plural of bonus.

You want the D

30-11-2012

Pickpocket will hurt Janna the most. Because her auto range in 475, smaller than Sona's Lulu's Zyra's and Lux's but it puts her in far more harm than others. but It will still let me substitute some gp5 seals for armour/mp5 now.

Sylver Skyes

30-11-2012

I'd not fuss over theory-crafting just yet. Wait until S3 actually comes, play it and then we can cry about it. With such a huge amount of changes in Masteries and Items coming, Riot is bound to make one or two "Hiccups" and release something thats completely overpowered or having nerfed something into pointlessness. They'll fix it all up in time.

Vaylen Obscuras

30-11-2012

@Pywai: Ah, true it has o.O I didn't see that cd on there xD But yes, int hat case, it won'T be OP.

@MoonlightSkye: Masteries are something, one can already Theory-Craft over, actually. Items are a different thing - but Masteries, well, they are all rather calculable. Also, my main problem is not OP-ness - I just pointed out a few that COULD be OP and would like to hear a detailed opinion the community on that.

My Main problem is: The Offense Tree, which is so "forced", especially with just 9 points and as an AP - the diversity just dies in there. And that is definetely rather.. well, bad. Other than that, I just pointed a few general "mistakes" in terms of diversity and the like.

Kalarath

30-11-2012

AD casters still have a worse time than APs,, at least you have enough masteries for a 21 points without needing attack speed or tower damage

Vaylen Obscuras

30-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalarath View Post
AD casters still have a worse time than APs,, at least you have enough masteries for a 21 points without needing attack speed or tower damage
For most of the part, that is not correct for AD Casters. Most of them profit from CDR, they all profit from Armor pen and AD.
Also, a bit more diversity for the AP'S would be desirable. And just FYI, Extra tower damage can be pretty useful for some champs.

DieTrying

30-11-2012

19/11/0 all the way ~