High Mobility Champions: Potentially Overpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrazyHaggis

28-11-2012

Hello everyone, I've had this belief for quite a long time and I am curious as to whether other people agree with me or not.

In my opinion high mobility champions, such as Katarina, Lee Sin, Jax, Ahri, Ezreal, Kassadin, etc., whilst certainly being more difficult to play to their maximum potential, are when played to that level simply better than other characters. They have vastly superior chasing abilities and are incredibly difficult to gank/chase, they can gank other lanes to a higher degree, they can steal jungle camps more easily, they can support a caught out ally much quicker, and despite all of these seemingly massive advantages they all seem to have similar amounts of damage and survivability when compared to the less agile champions (in certain cases I believe that they possess superior damage and straight up survivability compared to others as well).

In many cases such champions also fit into a wide variety of team compositions as well, Katarina bringing exceedingly high AoE damage to straight up team fights, their general mobility making them adept at split-pushing. Jax and Lee Sin both being strong jungle clearers and gankers, as well as being counters to many typical top laners. Kassadin, Katarina and Ahri being strong counters to many mid-laners and Ahri specifically having very few counters. Ezreal is also undoubtedly one of the best AD carries in the game. Jax, Lee Sin and Ahri also have powerful crowd control abilities, further increasing their viability in most any team composition.

Unless I'm missing something, the only 'down side' to these characters is that they are often more difficult to play when compared with other champions. In your opinion, does this justify their potential superiority?

Ezrex

28-11-2012

90% of all champs have some kind of mobility and the champions you mentionend arent op by themselves, its always the teamcomp and laneopponent which can make them rly strong.

CrazyHaggis

28-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxed View Post
90% of all champs have some kind of mobility and the champions you mentionend arent op by themselves, its always the teamcomp and laneopponent which can make them rly strong.
While true, I feel a lot of characters' mobility abilities tend to focus on either escaping or engaging, as opposed to both whilst including more or less free movement. For instance, if Fiora, Xin Zhao or Wukong could lunge/charge/nimbus strike onto a ward or friendly unit, while their skill cap would 'rise', they would suddenly become a lot more powerful because rather than simply being a menace offensively, they would also be able to avoid ganks/bad situations a lot easier (might actually be a good idea on Fiora and Xin Zhao, Kong's got his decoy already though. Meh, this is besides the point!).

Basically I want to differentiate between a gap closer and 'high mobility' abilities. I feel some degree of extra movement is fine, the gap closing abilities of the aforementioned champions particularly give them a specific 'purpose'. This aspect of their character is often what defines their role, as chaser, intiator, or whatever. Whereas if they can use that same ability to not only initiate, but to escape, chase and safely take jungle camps/objectives then I feel that the character has a little bit too much potential, making them often a superior choice to another champion (if they can be played to the full, of course).

I think the other point that deserves to be made is that those champions with no mobility(the 10% as you say) are for the most part seen as very weak due to their susceptibility to being kited, ganked and for often being unable to roam due to the fact that if they are caught out of position they are often dead. While this isn't such a problem on a lot of AD carries as they have supports, it does seem to affect people's choice of mid-laners. Squishy mages with no mobility options are almost never seen these days (Malzahar, Syndra, Annie, etc), it is often only those with either exceptional range who can thus farm safely (Lux, Morgana, Brand) or some innate tankiness due to abilities or build (such as Mordekaiser, Vladimir and Ryze).

Ezrex

28-11-2012

well lol has got more than 100 champs now, its impossible to make all champs balanced. ofc you will have some champs who dont fit in the meta and yes i agree they are a bit weaker. But dont forget you currently have a pool of about ~ 70 champs you can pick and you wont put yourself in a heavy disadvantage. and you mentioned kassa, ahri, kat , jax, lee, and ez having overall advantage over other champ. i highly disagree, kassa and ahri have a rly weak early game and they wont burst you when they get denied early ,same is for jax, lee is only strong in early- mid and his ganks arent rly that strong you just have to dodge his skillshot. well and ez is kinda same as corki ,graves and tristana high mobilty and burst at early lvls. obviously tristana falls of midgame but has a greater lategame..

Ezrex

28-11-2012

btw. currently the most banned champs arent even the ones you mentionend...

CrazyHaggis

28-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxed View Post
well lol has got more than 100 champs now, its impossible to make all champs balanced. ofc you will have some champs who dont fit in the meta and yes i agree they are a bit weaker. But dont forget you currently have a pool of about ~ 70 champs you can pick and you wont put yourself in a heavy disadvantage. and you mentioned kassa, ahri, kat , jax, lee, and ez having overall advantage over other champ. i highly disagree kassa and ahri have a rly weak early game and they wont burst you when they get denied early same is for jax, lee is only strong in early- mid and his ganks arent rly that strong you just have to dodge his skillshot. well and ez is kinda same as corki ,graves and tristana high mobilty and burst at early lvls. obviously tristana falls of midgame but has a greater lategame..
Corki and Graves, good point there. I wasn't really specifically targeting just the champions I mentioned (hence the etc.), I was just giving some examples to clarify exactly what it was that I was referring to. I do fully agree that these champions do have certain weaknesses, really what I'm getting at is that they have no more weaknesses than a less mobile champion, and due to their high mobility they are capable of achieving many more things with a higher degree of ease than their less mobile counterparts.

Personally I feel this makes them more 'viable', and thus 'superior' to many other champions. Which leads back to my original point of: 'In your opinion, does the higher skill-cap of high mobility champions justify their potential superiority when compared with other champions?'

Legit Korean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

28-11-2012

I'm sick of people saying Ezreal has a high skill cap, I pretty much mainly play AD Carry and Ezreal is one of the easiest to play, it's pure Ez mode. You see the hardest and only really hard thing carries have to worry about is positioning and not getting caught, this is obviously the easiest to do with Ezreal since he has a flash on a ridiculously low cool down. You wanna play a hard Carry, try Draven, catching those axes in team fights or even Ashe if you're not fed/winning.

CrazyHaggis

28-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivalry Superst View Post
I'm sick of people saying Ezreal has a high skill cap, I pretty much mainly play AD Carry and Ezreal is one of the easiest to play, it's pure Ez mode. You see the hardest and only really hard thing carries have to worry about is positioning and not getting caught, this is obviously the easiest to do with Ezreal since he has a flash on a ridiculously low cool down. You wanna play a hard Carry, try Draven, catching those axes in team fights or even Ashe if you're not fed/winning.
For the AD carry job, no doubt having a free flash like Graves, Corki and Ezreal is very important and makes it a lot easier to play that role. I'm sure Ezreal's long range poke and minion ignoring poke make laning a breeze as well. What my point really is, is that due to his high mobility he can do a lot of things that other champions cannot, so for instance to play Ezreal at his very best you could, as an example, harrass other lanes, steal jungle camps, etc. etc. to a degree that others cannot. Being aware of enemy positioning, or whatever is required for the particular play you are trying to pull off, is what raises his skill-cap, and due to his capability to do these other things where a regular AD carry would not, his skill-cap 'rises' because his potential is greater.

So what I'm asking is, do you feel this makes him overpowered, as he is able to do 'all'* the things other characters can, plus a load of other things due to his high mobility. Agreed you need to be more aware of the battlefield, or if you're playing Jax/Kat/Lee Sin, you need to carry wards so that you are always 'prepared', but regardless of whether you possess this amount of 'skill'/'awareness'/'preparedness', their potential is always greater than a less mobile character.

So what I'm saying is that this makes these 'high mobility champions' more viable and thus superior to other picks. Would you agree?

(*all in inverted commas because he obviously cannot do everything other characters can, but I'm sure you understand the point I'm trying to make.)

Asmilis

28-11-2012

thats why i always go boots of mobility on junglers, and sometimes even on lane champs. Being there fast, and getting away fast(if their cooldowns for abilities that lets them catch up are long enough so my boots activate) is so important and saved me and my teammates a lot of the times, and it allowed me to pressure lanes as a jungler so much that we gain advatages very quickly.
High mobility champs have a natural advantage in my opinion too, but like everything, u can kind of make up the disadvantage with items, so i wouldnt say they are overpowered.
Exept for wukong, hes such a pain. Maybe not overpowered in Stats, but overpowered because u just get so annoyed fighting him that i kind of dont want to gank top if hes there

Ca5hB0y

28-11-2012

Lee Sin isn't overpowered at all

Lee Sin is one of those champs that when falls behind, generally doesn't catch back up anymore. Just like Katarina, Ezreal and Wukong
His endgame is just as a peeler/CC(slow), and occasionally shielding stuff, like the ADC.

Katarina gets countered by.. a lot of stuff

Ahri... lol wat
Because dodging skillshots is hard

I would rather call Xin Zhao OP, than those which you listed. Xin Zhao is annoying, when his ult hits everyone except you away, he sticks onto you, his Q refreshes his skills, meaning that after he's done with you, he'll flash away and then ult to get your team off of him.

And then he'll just hit some minions to be back at full health, so he can go after the rest of your team