How to be pro? (advice giving/seeking thread)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hacktor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2011

Hy Lol comunity...

During my struggle from 3digit elo to 1300 i have learned a few tactics... and i want to share them with the community... you may already know them, but it would do you no harm to hear them again... at the same time i wish to ask better players for advice on how to raise above 1300 ELO.

Later Edit: Rule 0) Positioning.... don't be caught with your pants down. Know your role and position accordingly.

1) Last hit... always - unless you just ACED the team you should never autoattack a minion (exception to set up a last hit - like 2 minions dying at the same time.) Most gold in the game comes from last hiting... if you want a champion that makes full use of this try Aniie and Max Q ..you will raise your elo significantly.

2) Gank when appropriate - Don't gank at every occasion (especially f first blood was taken) ..ganking too early means making the opposing team turtle and play safe.. it's way better to gank when the game has ran for a bit.

3) Buy sight WARDS .. latest patch made them 75 Gp... there is no excuse ... if you press tab and see nobody on your team has a ward, BUY ONE! put it at dragon or high-importance buff (like blue buff when facing a kassadin for example) .. If you see 2 enemy players have sight wards... Buy a Vision Ward and place it at dragon ... chances are you will get 25 Gp back ...if not ...hell, you still have a ward at dragon...

4) Learn to play 1 Tank 1 Mage 1 DPS and 1 Support... especially if playing ranked... *****ing about no-one picking tank when you could have picked one is just silly.

5) Run a jungler ... and protect him against first blood.. (EVEN if he' doing golems first)
teams without a jungler start at an xp and gold disadvantage. And having your jungler ganked for first blood means 2 things ..extra gold for their team and 1-2 level disadvantaged for the jungler.

6) Learn to Focus, WELL.... and tell your team who to focus... and change the order when appropriate... i've seen people focusing a 4000 HP anivia with Guardina's angel and egg in a team-fight just because she's a mage... no, sometimes some tanks are squishier than some mages. Focusing mages or dps is not a rule.. it's a guideline

7) Don't be an A**hole ... Using black shield on an ally at 200 hp when kartus is ulting wins games... Most people don't understand this is a team game.. if an ally dies you have to face tougher opponents. If you are playing a tank you should always try to soak as much damage, if you are playing Janna on lane with Pantheon and you are not giving him the shield you fail.
Blue Buff Goes to Mages or Spammers (like ashe or ez) red Buff goes to Attack speed champs, Ranged Champs or Champs in desperate need of the slow. If you're taking Blue buff with a no-mana and 40% cdr character is just plain stupid.

8) Read THE ABILITIES.... Knowing tristana's Jump refreshes cooldown after a kill can make you rethink the way you use it, Riot make abilities this way on purpose.. there is almost no ability with only 1 effect.. read them and use them.

9) Know when your champion is strong... People laugh at late game shaco and at early game tryndamere.... if people chose uber late game carrys you HAVE to win early or Vice versa...

10) Be polite... People play better when they don't flame.. i've died so may times while responding to a flamer....

11) Don't BUY UNTIL you TOUCH the FOUNTAIN... i've killed so many chars with Wild Cards while they recall i've lost count...

12) Tank shots for your dying allies. If you are a tank and you are running in front of the 100 HP DPS you're doing it wrong...

13) Know The summoner spells of your enemies... think you're safe with 1500 HP near an energised annie with flash and ignite? think again.... Does the character you want to gank have flash? Did he use it yet?...

14) Stuns go on to the DPS... very few exceptions.

15) Don't use Exaust and Stuns on a character at the same time. Designate one ally to stun first then use the others in order.

16) Note an exhausted defence when it's used .... wait to stun after that sivir has used spell shield.. Gank After ezreal or kassadin used tp. Gank after an offensive flash was used etc...

17) Read the Patch-notes... i've seen so many idiots stack sunfire capes recently... IT DOESN'T STACK ANY MORE.

18) Buy some defences.. having 1000 max HP and 500 Damage means you die instantly to Kassadin, Shaco or a well placed skillshot. Always get some deffences. A 415 Gold item is made obsolette with a 300 Gold one...

19) Don't be affraid to back-door ... There is no such thing as a gentleman's game in LOL outside custom games.

These are the rules i follow and it got me to 1300 ..some may become obsolete at higher elo's and some may become parramount... if you know more ways to generally become good at lol please post here

Thank you

Dakonblackblade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2011

20) use last hit , BUT learn how to keep creeps near your tower. If they are out of your tower range , its wise to get some hits on you till your creep wave arrives and stabilizes it right out of your tower range. Autoattack if you have pushed near their tower in order to push , let tower kill the creeps fast and the balance comes to your side. In mid , autoattack when you feel save (getting the last hit always of course) so you can deny gold from your opponent since last hitting under tower is hard.

21) Know your items. Getting Tear of the Goddess THEN catalyst isnt making you a strong caster. Its making you having a lot of mana. Period.

22) Dont be fast to surrender. This is low morale. LoL turns after a bad teamfight. Give this chance to yourselves. Stay focused , well mannered and get wards. The simpler way to get into a game with 10-30 score is to place wards and wait the others to make a cocky mistake. Fighting desperate battles makes you really tough in the end. Anyone can roflstomp and laugh. Few can fight uphill battles .

23) Play a lot of heroes in Normal in order to learn their streangths and weakness. Blaming Tryndamere for OPness is the easy way. Trying to lane him against a Teemo is the hard one. You dont have to master him. Just get the feeling of it.

24)Buy some Damage if you are a tank. Dont let yourself be ignored. You got Aegis + Warmogs+Guardian. Sorry, you just dont do enough . Grab that Atmas Impaler.

25) Get a ward for detecting Invisible. Eve is bad if she doesnt get her early kills.

26) Learn to jungle. Experience on when you can get dragon or Baron will come with experience.

27) Set goals in a game. Cant push? Get dragon. Cant? Get all buffs. Aced but 2 are alive and can defend? Grab nashor. 2 of them is in a far lane farming?Get nashor. They aced you broke Inhi and now they go back since they are low? Get Nashor.

28)Have options in summoner spells. Funny when all have flash and ghost and the opponent team has Tryndamere and Mundo. Good luck with this.

Hacktor

04-01-2011

28) Know the dragon/baron respawn times: .if you've killed it look at the time add (Dragon after 6:00, Baron 8:00.) and say in chat... then secure the location before they even spawn..

29) learn to skillshot .... make practice games and throw that cleaver... know when it will hit the creep or go past it... Practice hiting (or just moving over) a moving siege creep with ez's or ashe's ultimate.. it's harder than it seems.

Dakonblackblade

04-01-2011

30)Keep an eye on the minimap all the time. Make it a habit. Dont expect misses from anyone. Rely on you first then on others. Imagine if all drivers didnt look their mirror. Yeah. Its a habit people not a skill

Hacktor

04-01-2011

31) Don't LEAVE... Some people can carry stupid, hope your carry is one of them.

32) Laning is about Farming not Killing - In high elo first blood hapens after 15 minutes

Daklha

04-01-2011

33) Most people do a decent job at higher lvls in last hitting, but bring it to the next level: keep an eye on your opponents minions also, are they low health? If yes, is the other enemy lurking to it for a last hit? If yes again, how can I annoy him so he will miss the last hit? Don't annoy him while he isn't going for a last hit, since that way you'll waiste valuable mana and he'll only stay on guard. Annoy him while he tries to make some gold. He'll miss out on a lot of gold early game and he'll be pretty far behind end game. Ofcourse, if the harassing causes you losing last hits, don't even bother trying this. But it sure is a good way to keep yourself busy early game and it annoys the **** out of your opponents.

34) Always get a jungler in your team that fits a role you need in order to have a good team balance.

35) Keep in mind that you have a jungler, in other words: keep the creeps in the middle of the map, or as far back to your lane that you don't miss last hits and that your tower doesn't take damage. Why? Your jungler can come bring you a visit then. A lot of people forget this, but it can earn you soooo much money.

l8ralus

04-01-2011

how to be a pro
there is ONLY 1 answer
PLAY MORE VS BETTER PLAYERS!

midnight illusio

04-01-2011

36) Unlock your camera. In the tutorial it automatically locks the camera for you. This is bad. If you use a locked camera, you are completely focused on yourself and aren't looking at the minimap or your surroundings. It is also extremely hard to use Shen's, Soraka's and Kathus' ult properly if your camera is locked.

Jeromulus

04-01-2011

Could please someone tell me what exactly is bad and good positioning depending on my role?
Cause I'm a noob and i always wondered about this. And I didnt know that last hitting was THAT important o.O

But thx for the guide

midnight illusio

04-01-2011

the basics of positioning are:

Tanks in front (e.g. shen, amumu), to soak up initial damage and start the fight
carries/dps (e.g. Olaf, katarina) behind them to be in range of their carries
support (e.g. soraka, sona) in the back so they don't get hit.