How to play against Diana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Tobob

18-11-2012

I have a problem.
I just CANīT win against Diana in midlane. Doesnīt matter which champ i play, i have absolutely no chance.
She might be a melee and can be harrassed with range champions, but when she gets her shield, she deosnīt get dmg anymore. If you deal enough dmg to keep her away from melee range she can just farm with her q. And when she reaches lvl 6, she can easily kill me. She doesnīt even need to hit her q, because she can just pull me back if i try to run away.
Her dmg output is even without equip very high and she deosnīt need equip to be tanky either.
Can someone give me tips how to play against her?

And pls, post like "L2P" donīt help anybody.

v1rtue

18-11-2012

I do play Diana mid sometimes. Key thing is getting a blue buff. Once I get a blue buff, I start forcing trades, harassing with Q, roaming other lanes and bullying your jungler. If you can manage to deny Diana her blue buff, she can't farm the lane as well, or roam around. Diana runs out of mana really fast without blue. Also make sure that you don't lose your own blue. Diana is one of the few mids that can solo blue buff early on.

Another thing: If you don't want to roam, don't push the lane. Diana pushes the lane if she tries to farm with her Q, forcing her to move foward (she is melee after all) which opens up ganks from your jungler, while you can farm safely, close to your tower.

If Diana wants to force a trade, keep your distance. She has good sustained damage, duelling is difficult. If she dashes towards you and pulls you back, use some CC to keep your distance.

Captain Tobob

18-11-2012

First, thank you for your quick feedback
So, if i combine what you say, i have to rely on my jungler(to steal the blue with me or gank her, cause i canīt do that alone). Is there no possibility to beat her in lane?

ErisHighLand

18-11-2012

Im not a huge player, but I holded a 2k win Diana few hours ago. (im ~500W)

Haven't play a lot vs her (only 4-5 times, mostly with Orianna and Ori vs Diana matchup seemed very very stressful to me ^^')

So I was uncertain what to pick, between Gragas and Swain.

Finally I took Swain, and... It was not bad at all. Pre-6 I was able to put good pressure on her (I managed to dodge most skillshot and at this point trading was a piece of cake)
At Lv7 we found each other 100% hp in the river. So she jumped and did huge burst to me (she had 2 dorans, me a catalyst), but with full combo + some kiting in the end, I ran out of fight with ~20% hp and her with ~33%hp.

After that Ive been able to sustain myself through ult, since I paid extreme attention to dodge her skillshot, and stay on lane to farm (I pushed a bit on pots & wards, but hey, it was the price for safety)

She did massive damage but when I finished RoA, Abyssal & Boots 2, I was able to somewhat trade, with proper kiting (and then, I sustained more). So I haven't die to her a single time, and in teamfights Swain's Q+W on her keeped my ADC safe. I felt more useful than her when teamfights began to happend. Finally we have won teamfights and few times after the game.

Maybe you can try it out. I think Gragas is cool pick vs her too, because hes tanky, bursty, has great sustain and great pushing capabilites (Swain is a bit less burst and a bit less push-friendly imo). Plus, he's even more fast to gank/countergank bot/top. It seems the real counterpick to me.

Anyway you should play vs her like vs the bursty and snowball-friendly assassins: Akali/LB/Kata (kata is another story)...Focus on farming and not dying (be ULTRA safe; for this, a champion with good farming capabilites is better), call SS every single time your opponent miss, do a safe build (fast negatron or fast RoA or either) and... thats it. In midgame you should be golden since generally these types of champions are at disavantage when it comes to 5V5

My 2 cents

Shi no teien

18-11-2012

I play diana quite some times. As already stated, Diana has some early-game mana issues. I could say she is a mana-eater. She can't poke much without her blue buff or she needs some mana regen items. Her range of her abilities isnt that bad either, plus, her damage output is also quite good. Her sustain is quite good too. You should try to notice the difference in behaviour of her poking and her farming. Don't stand too close to your own minions, then she could just farm AND poke you at the same time.

Also, after she is level 6, keep your distance from her when you are in a 1v1 situation while being far away from your turret. She can quite easily kill you without having to take much damage. I'd recommend champs with CC against her or champs with a relatively long range, like Ryze or Ahri.

That should do it I hope >.<

InToDeep

19-11-2012

When someones picks diana.
Make sure your 4th or 5th pick picks galio. Laugh at all the dmg she is not doing.

I seriously dont get why people dont pick galio mid anymore. Take him every chance i get

Lazy Penguin

19-11-2012

I'm a Fizz player so i can only base things on my own experience, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that psychological warfare triumphs on strong champions. Make him afraid. Make him **** his pants

That's at least what I do, I tend to be hyperagressive, I Q, land a basic attack and ignite right off the bat. In poker the one with the most money has more control over the game, I find this true with lvl 1 health, especially when someone naturally more tanky finds himself with less health than his more squishy opponent, his advantage has just been lost and he will think twice.

At this point you have to anticipate attacks (Diana's harrass is a tricky one, go sideways to the opposite corner where it bends) and find a balance between dodging, harassing and last hitting while the guy sh*ts himself. Don't push too much and risk getting ganked.

xDeadlyShadow

19-11-2012

Pick Mordekaiser against Diana and you won't have any problems.

Lukebox

Recruiter

19-11-2012

How I play against Diana is pick Mordekaiser, play very aggressive from the start. Whenever she tries to harrass you, make sure you hit her and as many creeps with your E and W to get the shield up. You need to take control of the lane _before_ she hits lvl 6. If you manage to get this far without dying and denying her cs you're already tanky enough to survive her charge and outdamage her.
Edit: I'm a platinum elo player

Lazy Penguin

19-11-2012

counter picking is only valid for draft btw, not in blind pick.