Supports can carry! ...Or?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

djrelex92

16-11-2012

There is no Elo hell.

What? Ok, check this out: I main Support, even in ranked. Played about 200 ranked games with Soraka, Taric and Sona only. When I first started playing ranked at the beginning of season 2, I just hit level 30 and I had no idea what I was doing. So I lost all the matches (ofc) and ended up around 900 Elo, which was totally my fault, as I said, because I was a noob and I barely won my lanes. Plus, I had zero map awareness, no farming skills and I knew nothing about any champion's skillset. There was this one point I reached and I thought: "Dude, those people I play with are so ****ing bad. I can really do better than that!"

So I started watching pro streams, reading guides, and (just by trying) figured out that the Support role is perfect for me. You only have to ignore the fact that most of the players in low Elo really don't give a **** about the Supports in their team. Let's put it this way: You'll probably be considered "useless" in most of the games. For example, your AD Carry will randomly engage 1 vs 2 when you go to ward dragon saying: "Omg, Taric so useless, just let me die and no help!" or your AP will get caught in the enemy blue jungle saying: "Omg, Soraka so noob and useless, no wards at all!"

What most of the players in low Elo (which I consider everything below 1300) don't know is that a really good Support player can carry your AD through the entire game and get him nice and fed. And a fed AD can carry a game easily. You always have to consider that the enemy Support will often be playing kind of bad, since the last pick in champ select has to play Support in 99% of the matches made - at least for low Elo. Many of those players don't actually feel like picking the Support or they have no idea how to play it. That means, in case you are a good Support, you will just have to wait for them to make a mistake (which they will) so you can engage on the enemy AD and get your AD Carry a free kill.

As I got better at this game, I managed to carry myself from 900 to 1349 top Elo for season 2 by only playing Support. I learned a lot and put quite some effort into this and I was very excited about season 3, since I knew the Elo reset was coming and I would get +50 Elo for a win again.

I played a couple of games already and it was horrible. I got 3 wins and 4 losses for Taric so far. I started at 1278 Elo and now I have only 1247. Seems like I just can't raise my Elo by just playing Support at the 1300 mark. No matter how good I play, I have a feeling that I cannot really "control" the game, if you know what I mean. Have I now reached my "true Elo"? Because when I look at other Support players, I'm quite sure I should be around 1500 at least.

tl; dr

Do you think it is actually possible to carry ranked games in higher Elo solo queue as a good Support player? Share your thoughts. Maybe a high Elo Support player would like to tell me how he got where he is at the moment.

Cheers.

Rekkan

16-11-2012

Yes, you can.

I'll be sure to talk to a friend of mine who mains Support and hit Plat in S2 if he hasn't seen this thread by then.

djrelex92

16-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekkan View Post
Yes, you can.

I'll be sure to talk to a friend of mine who mains Support and hit Plat in S2 if he hasn't seen this thread by then.
That would be awesome.

Rekkan

16-11-2012

Add me in-game. Rekkan is the name. I might forget while sleeping, so seeing your add will remind me.

djrelex92

16-11-2012

Yes, I'll do that. Thank you.

Sharazisspecial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-11-2012

Generally supports can't really carry.. Expect for a few examples.

Blitzcrank being the big example. Hook into knockup is completely game changing and uncounterable bot lane. Since it puts enemy out of position . Other supports with cc like leona have to go all in and can end up dying .

Here my tier list for how much a support can "carry" their team mate.

God tier-blitzcrank
top tier-alistar, lulu ,leona, zyra
mid tier-sona ,taric
bottom tier-soraka

You could have a terrible adc but you can totally get them feeded with blitz. Though if your carry isnt the best being sona is not going to help. Since you are squishy and lack cc out of ult. You may be able to harrass as sona. But so can the enemy harrass you.

Blitz is one the few supports that can actully do something late game. All the others supports fall off because they esentially "lose" half their abilities(heals and damage). I consider soraka absolutely useless lategame. She is like a ward bot and nothing else. Though you get sorakas in solo queue that wont even do that =/.

I find on the forums their is alot of support circle jerking. That apparently supports all play perfect but thats far from the truth. Supports misplaying can feed the enemy and can get your own carry killed by being caught out and not ccing at the right times. Not warding the bush can lead to extra harassment and jungler ganks too. Also ks is an issue in early bot lane. (the only time its ever an issue)

Supports do require skill early game. But the longer the game is the less require skill since you have much less impact latergame and dont worry about doing damage or positioning as much as the other roles have to.

Rekkan

16-11-2012

Universe Tier - Lee Sin

Deal with it

Thrice Whíte

16-11-2012

I got to gold on s2 with supports (+karthus)
In low elo you win with wards and since theres no cd on them in LoL you can pretty much have vision on everything at all times.

djrelex92

16-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1teh View Post
I got to gold on s2 with supports (+karthus)
In low elo you win with wards and since theres no cd on them in LoL you can pretty much have vision on everything at all times.
Yes, wards do a lot. Too bad a lot of players (even around 1400) simply refuse to look at the god damn mini map! Example: Me, playing Support, I recognize that the enemy Jungler is camping mid lane. So I make sure to ward blue/red entrance on bot river, since our mid doesn't buy any wards. Enemy Jungler decides to gank mid from top side, WHICH I CANNOT KEEP WARDED.

And what do you do when the enemy Jungler gets oracle after his first gp10?

Sharazisspecial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-11-2012

You are fcked basically when jungler gets oracles. You have to ward in wierd places. But doing so gives less vision. This though gives supports like nidalee and zyra and the adc caitlyn and ashe a leg up above other champs. Because they can "ward" or CV spots where wards keep getting destroyed.