Almost 1% of the playerbase banned yesterday evening.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Juror

10-11-2012

A lot of players will have received a similar email like me; starting thus:

"Greetings Summoner,

Your League of Legends account has been suspended for violations to the Summoner’s Code. This action follows the conclusion of an audit performed by Riot staff. During this audit we found that your account was among the bottom 0.8% of toxic players within the League of Legends Community.

In addition to the Tribunal, Player Support routinely performs audits of the most toxic players within the Community. Due to the high volume of reports on your account the decision has been made to suspend your account for fourteen (14) days."

I did some further research and apparently some players also received mails that they were in the top 0,2% and got permabanned.

Disclaimer
The following is based on what little knowledge of the situation I have and what I could derive through research of the forums. I would love for some Rioter to provide more Information / clear things up.

What's wrong exactly?
These bans lack transparency and as such legicimacy from the players point of view. They were given out automatically to punish the "most toxic 0,8/0,2%" respectively solely depending on the amounts of reports those players received - regardless of being punished/pardoned in the tribunal.

How can I claim that?
When I got that email about being a top 0,8% toxic player I went to the forums and surely enough many others received the same. Many stated to have never been banned before. I did some further research and found some older emails from riot and I'll quote:
"This action follows the conclusion of an audit performed by Riot staff. During this audit we found that your account was among the bottom 0.2% of toxic players within the League of Legends Community. The identified accounts, including yours, were reported in an average of 49% of their games over the past 30 days, and have accumulated hundreds of reports over the past few months."
So I'll assume that it's based on the % of games you are reported in (correct me if I'm wrong Riot)

Why is this an issue?
It unnecessarily punishes people who got pardoned by the tribunal and skips the ban stages, there is several people who say they never got banned and received an instant permaban through this. Also this banwave lacks transparency without reform cards, you don't even get to see which games you got punished for because you didnt; you just got punished for being spammed reports at.

Consider this
Assuming that the tribunal works players who receive a lot of reports will be found guilty and punished; what is the motivation to additionally punish the players who got found pardoned? Being spammed reports at a lot is NOT a clear indicator of being "toxic" in every case.

Some examples
High Elo Queue in both Solo Ranked or Normal Draft. You end up meeting the same people over and over and there is players who are hated by others and subsequently get reported by them every game. Now with the tribunal this is not that much of an issue, since those illigitimate reports can get pardoned but this banwave solely targeted the quantity of reports afaik. On top of that people tend to spam reports a LOT in soloqueue; thre is few games where the losing team doesn't report the players who underperformed.

What I want
Fair cases you can access at the tribunal. I won't question a ban if I get my cases presented and shown that it was deserved, but what Riot did here is just an outrage on top of potentially screwing over a lot of players undeserving of being banned.

Innocent until proven guilty

Sadly a similar thread to this I made last evening got closed so it might be that Riot doesn't tolerate discussion about their banning policies?
Or maybe some of my assumptions are wrong, but I'm working with the information I've got and those bans were anything but transparent.

Edit: If you are operating under the assumption that the tribunal is doing it's job (which you should) then really there is no reason to ban people for being reported often on top of that.
If someone got reported often and rightfully he will have appeared in the tribunal many times and surely get punished, however
If someone got reported wrongly often then even if he gets pardoned he would still get banned due to having been reported too often.
I don't think that's fair.

Averen

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juror View Post

[/url]
does not apply on the internet

Hewwos

10-11-2012

Quote:
A lot of players will have received a similar email like me; starting thus:

"Greetings Summoner,

Your League of Legends account has been suspended for violations to the Summoner’s Code. This action follows the conclusion of an audit performed by Riot staff. During this audit we found that your account was among the bottom 0.8% of toxic players within the League of Legends Community.

In addition to the Tribunal, Player Support routinely performs audits of the most toxic players within the Community. Due to the high volume of reports on your account the decision has been made to suspend your account for fourteen (14) days."

I did some further research and apparently some players also received mails that they were in the top 0,2% and got permabanned.

What's wrong with that?
These bans lack transparency and as such legicimacy from the players point of view. They were given out automatically to punish the "most toxic 0,8/0,2%" respectively solely depending on the amounts of reports those players received - regardless of being punished/pardoned in the tribunal.

How can I claim that?
When I got that email about being a top 0,8% toxic player I went to the forums and surely enough many others received the same. Many stated to have never been banned before. I did some further research and found some older emails from riot and I'll quote:
"This action follows the conclusion of an audit performed by Riot staff. During this audit we found that your account was among the bottom 0.2% of toxic players within the League of Legends Community. The identified accounts, including yours, were reported in an average of 49% of their games over the past 30 days, and have accumulated hundreds of reports over the past few months."
So I'll assume that it's based on the % of games you are reported in (correct me if I'm wrong Riot)

Why is this an issue?
It unnecessarily punishes people who got pardoned by the tribunal and skips the ban stages, there is several people who say they never got banned and received an instant permaban through this. Also this banwave lacks transparency without reform cards, you don't even get to see which games you got punished for because you didnt; you just got punished for being spammed reports at.

Consider this
Assuming that the tribunal works players who receive a lot of reports will be found guilty and punished; what is the motivation to additionally punish the players who got found pardoned? Being spammed reports at a lot is NOT a clear indicator of being "toxic" in every case.

Some examples
High Elo Queue in both Solo Ranked or Normal Draft. You end up meeting the same people over and over and there is players who are hated by others and subsequently get reported by them every game. Now with the tribunal this is not that much of an issue, since those illigitimate reports can get pardoned but this banwave solely targeted the quantity of reports afaik. On top of that people tend to spam reports a LOT in soloqueue; thre is few games where the losing team doesn't report the players who underperformed.

What I want
Fair cases you can access at the tribunal. I won't question a ban if I get my cases presented and shown that it was deserved, but what Riot did here is just an outrage on top of potentially screwing over a lot of players undeserving of being banned.

Sadly a similar thread to this I made last evening got closed so it might be that Riot doesn't tolerate discussion about their banning policies?
Or maybe some of my assumptions are wrong, but I'm working with the information I've got and those bans were anything but transparent.
Someone also posted a similar thread on reddit so check it out and upvote to raise more awareness:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...08_most_toxic/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT75udNgfl4

Juror

10-11-2012

Please keep it constructive, I'd like to discuss this with a Rioter to get some more insight into this.

sirDarts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

Quote:
What's wrong with that?
Where are you taking this info from? For me it sounds as it was supervised directly by Riot.

Quote:

How can I claim that?
This doesn't show that they didn't check the behavior of players in those cases, they just used a filter to select them.

Quote:

Why is this an issue?
No, you got punished for ALL the games you were reported in. Not for getting spammed reports against.

Quote:

Consider this
The Tribunal uses a random selection of your recent games. It is certainly possible that some very toxic player randomly gets games he is innocent in selected. Riot can see ALL the games.

Quote:

Some examples
Still no idea what makes you think that this was automated.

Quote:

What I want
Read the ToU. Riot owns your account, and can suspend you for any and no reason whenever the decide to. Also you are basing your rage on unconfirmed speculations (that the banwave was automated).

Quote:

Someone also posted a similar thread on reddit so check it out and upvote to raise more awareness:
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...08_most_toxic/

EDIT: Keep your downvotes to yourself and your tinfoil hats, please. Downvoting without counterarguments only supports MY points.

KEJSi

10-11-2012

if you read the TOS you will understand that it says ( in short terms)

we can ban you for any reason, and are accountable to no one

Every single online game has this policy, you agreed to that !

Quote:
Please keep it constructive, I'd like to discuss this with a Rioter to get some more insight into this.
im sorry, but they wont

Ac04

10-11-2012

Personally I feel that random banning sprees like these one are a clear indication that the tribunal is a flawed system. Wasn't the tribunal Riot's go-to system to solve all toxic behavior? Give multiple warnings, multiple time-based bans and as endresult permaban? Not giving this 0.8% (or 0.2%) a chance to redeem themself OR a more clear indication of their faults seem like crooked company policy to me. The "you know what you did wrong" argument is just Riot refusing to provide more clear logs.

ĂŽAmLegendary

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2012

I hope some red will give us an answer!

Juror

10-11-2012

I'm not saying that they are legally not allowed to ban like this, don't get me wrong here. My point is that it makes no sense seeing how we have the tribunal and is a slap in the face of the players.

Ender Wiggin

10-11-2012

It's nice that I get reported a lot, because I play 10-20 games per day. I get reported a lot because I don't fight back with flamers and I say them to report me, because I am sure I won't get banned anyway because I did nothing wrong, looks like I wasn't correct, I will get banned even though I don't deserve it.

I really love this game and I really love you rioters, you did so much and I have such a great time thanks to every single one of you and I am eternally greatfull for this but this move by you was just no fair.

;(