Adopt a noob program

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feroz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniteesquad

Hello fello LoLers, I am maniteesquad. For starters, I'll explain what the adopt a noob program is, before I move on to how and why.

The basic concept behind an adopt a noob program is to present a friendly environment where "noobs" (for the purpose of this post, noobs shall be referred to as "nuggets") can learn the ropes of the game and better themselves with the guidance of some more experienced mentors. It has been done in many other games outside of league of legends. It also serves the purpose of introducing new players to the community and giving them a solid group of people they know they can throw down some games with from time to time.

Now, why do I think an adopt a nugget program is necessary, or even a good idea, you ask?

I personally come from a background that includes both DotA and HoN, and those of you with similar backgrounds will probably understand what i mean when I say that although the games are similar, the communities are drastically different. I have noticed that there are many more people coming into league of legends (as opposed to other MOBAs) that have never played a game like this before, and maybe never even picked up an RTS. This leaves a lot of people left in the dark when in their beginning stages.
Things like how to recognize wether or not a certain item is worth the gold, or good for a given champion. What constitutes a balanced team? What champions are good carries? What even is a carry? These are all questions that a player new to this type of game could be asking themselves, and the purpose of the adopt a nugget program is to answer these questions, give reasons why, demonstrate it in a friendly in-house game, and generally to just have fun.

Now for the "how" of the matter.

Basically, at the end of this post I will ask any prospective mentors to post, along with any new players who are interested in participating. After enough mentors/nuggets have signed up for the program, we will put together an in-house practice game (or 2, or more depending on the popularity of this post). What I am thinking at the moment is to have 1 mentor for each team, meaning in any given game 8 nuggets are getting some valuable knowledge and experience under their belts. However, if this really takes off, I'd like to have one mentor paired to each nugget, to have a more devoted mentor that is more familiar with their nugget's strengths and weaknesses, favorite champs etc. It's a really simple concept, really.

Now that you have toughed it out and read through all of that, here is were you get to post, saying you are a wannabe mentor, a nugget in need, or just some random person telling me this is a horrible idea and I'm bad at the game. If you are interested in becoming an adopt a nugget mentor, feel free to post if you meet these few requirements.

- Have vent and a working mic
- Have general experience with the game. There is no set number of games, but needless to say if you have only played 10 matches you won't be much help to the nuggets.
- Use positive reinforcement. Negative nancys are not helpful.

Now, if you are reading this and thinking this could really help you learn the game and get better, then feel more than welcome to sign up as a nugget. There are no specific requirements for you, but vent is definitely a plus and will make the process easier for the mentors. A positive attitude helps in all situations, but everyone gets frustrated from time to time. However, frustration is no excuse for playing the blame game and pointing fingers, so if we notice a trend that you exhibit this behavior problems will arise.

Mentor or nugget, just post in this thread with your in-game name, wether or not you want to be a mentor or a nugget, and a little background about yourself. Also, if you have some friendly advice, comments, or constructive criticism to offer, feel free to post that also.

TL; DR: Basically group together some generally experienced players to run in-house games with new players to help them get up on their feet in league of legends. You don't have to be high ELO to mentor, and it doesn't have to be your first weak playing to enter as a noob.

Thanks for reading,

Maniteesquad

ADMINISTRATOR ROLE ADDED

I know how fast projects as this can turn very time consuming, and since I want to be able to support this project without it consuming too much of my time. I would like to add a new role to the program. I am going to chose to call this role, admin, until I find something more fitting. The role of the Admins is to make sure everything is going as planned and, that nuggets and mentors are set up with each other. – This way I’m hoping to make sure that you will always be able to reach an admin.

- Mentors and nuggets will be listed in the reply below.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

- To sign up to the program go to our mentor-nugget forums here. You can also check out events and more at our other forums here.
- Join us in the in-game chatroom NuggetHQ

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NuggetBadge.jpg
Views:	3827
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	14977  

Feroz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-12-2010

- This section was cut out due to the number of mentors and nuggets. We are no longer keeping track of every1 and the program is in a way running it self.

Administrators:
1. Feroz91
2. allistaar

- If you feel like you got something to add to the program other than just being a mentor or nugget then you're welcome to apply as an admin.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	2003
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	14982  

Niimt

30-12-2010

I'll help out the nuggets if yu want, been playing for about five to six months, ign vegetarians

Mile5s

30-12-2010

I posted earlier in the other thread (old one). This was my post.

Quote:
I just started playing this game and could use some advice. I play strategy games regularly but have never played a dota like game. Can I be a nugget?

I'm usually on around the evenings (7-12 pm gmt), or during weekends possibly earlier.

Sinxlol

31-12-2010

sign me up as nugget please =[

Sinxlol

31-12-2010

Im newish
can i become a nugget please and learn a bit more? improve my skills etc?

midnight illusio

31-12-2010

I'm not sure how well this will work (having not taken part in the original program), I would like to help as an admin please.

Feroz

31-12-2010

Added people to the list. Gonna set ppl up possibly later today or tomorrow.

- Adding you midnight and will contact you when possible (:

zG Potatoe

31-12-2010

Hello checking in as mentor ^^..
I've played about 300 games with a 50:50 ratio due to some horrible teams... yet i believe that even looses (or playing against stronger teams) give pretty good experience and makes think and try harder. I do not know as much as i would like to be a perfect mentor, yet i would be happy to help those "nuggets" out there so they wouldn't be yelled at all the time and so so..

Have a working mic and got quite a few working chat programs (Skype, Ventrilo, MSN, Teamspeak,
Xfire, imVOX), would take any decently english speaking player with help in need and am available most of the time of the day (if not i'll let you know).

Availability: around 11 (or earlier) AM - 11 PM GMT

In game name: Camarila
Msn: etiainen@live.com

Subguy

31-12-2010

sign me up

~ 850 normal games and ~ 150-200 ranked ones ^^

working mic, ts,skype,mumble,ventrilo

ingame: subguy