Garen + items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karrwin

19-06-2010

Well i just got Garen and played a couple of games. It appears that i cant play him as strong as i saw other ppl do, and im quite sure that its because of the item build. I dont know what items to be getting with him and im quite sure that the recommended items for him are totaly wrong. Also i saw that there are no Garen guides on this forum, might be because he is marked as easy to play but still id like some help .

Heiwing

19-06-2010

I usualy go that way:

shoes + 2 health potion. Shoes give you extra m-speed realy usefull for the spin at low lvl

Then ninja tabi or anti CC shoes depending of ennemies

Then leviathan, frozen maillet, youmuu's ghost blade and infinity.

at this part, game should be over, else go for bloodthirster or some tank item.

Bloodthorne

19-06-2010

doran's shield + pot

boots -> tabi or merc

vamp scepter

brutilizar -> youmuu's

upgrade scepter to exec calling or stark's

then focus on tanking stuff only like;
guardian angel
force of nature
atma's impaler
frozen maller

or more damage
phantom dancer (well this is more for anti-melee teams and if you go for damage)
infinity edge
last whisper.

Personally, i usually end up with this;
youmuu's ghostblade
merc/ninja
exec calling/starks fervor
atma's impaler
force of nature
guardian angel

The role i play early game is DPS and endgame is tanking, mostly.

Karrwin

20-06-2010

Eh i tried both of these builds and at the end i always get something like "huh wierd items you got there". Is it possible that Garen has no fixed item builds and its dependant on the setup? Cause when i play with other garens some of them go tanks like from the begining, some of them go pure dps with items that non of you listed, and ofcourse some do the builds you described.

I understand that this champ has difficult transition to mid/late game but how comes that the item path is not clear? Every build seems wierd to me now :O

Bloodthorne

21-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrwin View Post
Eh i tried both of these builds and at the end i always get something like "huh wierd items you got there". Is it possible that Garen has no fixed item builds and its dependant on the setup? Cause when i play with other garens some of them go tanks like from the begining, some of them go pure dps with items that non of you listed, and ofcourse some do the builds you described.

I understand that this champ has difficult transition to mid/late game but how comes that the item path is not clear? Every build seems wierd to me now :O
Garen's Judgment is really strong early game and you should take advantage of that, so damage early game is what i do.

However, late game, everyone has health and armor stacked and your judgment does not scale good enough to compete with it, so it is better to tank.

Vijel

21-06-2010

My item build:
- Start with Ruby Crystal
- Boots: Mercury's Treads or Boots of Swiftness
- Dpending on Setup: Heart of Gold or Phage and/or Aegis of the Legion
- Atma's Impaler
- Frozen Mallet and/or Randuin's Omen
- Depending on Setup: Guardian Angel or Sunfire Cape or Force of Nature

Good guides with different item builds:
http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...Guide+to+Garen
http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...h+Your+Enemies

panicsense

24-06-2010

gare is hard to haras and can do a lot of damage, so it depends on your team, what you have to do.
if no tank is there, so you are supposed to be a tank... if other tanks exist, you can be a dps champion.
as starting items i use:
-dorians shield(tank) or dorians blade/long sword(dps)
and naturally a potion.
then:
-always boots of swiftness! (judgement allow you to get away without being slowed... so no antislowshoes)
-spirit visage if tank (cool cd-reduction, cheap, healing and good against casters)
brutalizer if dps -->ghostblade (cdreduction, damage (needes to improve judgment!),
and armorpen!, crit(jusgment can crit too!))

the cd-reduction is importante, because the long cd of the ulti... its one of the strongest finisher in the game

later:
if tank:
-randuins omen (health, armor, cd-reduction!, and useful activ-->slow)
(-force of nature, alternative for randuin... but not as useful)
-stark's fevor (lifeleech, regen., armorpen. (as useful as dps), support)
-then same as dps (u should be not too easy to kill until now)
if dps:
- straks fevor
-bloodthirster (and/or Black cleaver) (attackspeed is not so importent, you play usually with judgment and with good timing you use your first abilty to hit between the normal attacks(it realy works!), and if needed anyway, use the ghostblade)
-randuin or spirit visage (for cd!)
-last wisper (just in mid game)
-even sword of occult is very useful(with your ulti is is easy to get the kill and even if you die, the most charges sustained)

just a meaning

Vijel

25-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicsense View Post
-always boots of swiftness! (judgement allow you to get away without being slowed... so no antislowshoes)
Mercury's Treads reduce stuns, fears, taunts, sleep, immobilizes and slows. Judgment works only against slows.

Craac

26-06-2010

First part of the game : u are a dommage dealer

All you need is going faster than your opponent :

Start with boots + pots , of course you have exhaust
first skill judgment

second skill : decisive strike

U can solo lanes, in this case keep yourself under tower and wait your opponent makes mistakes

If u are 2 on lane, prefer someone with a stun

Stun => decisive strike (don't hit) => judgment on ur opponent (don't start it too soon to maximise damages) => exhaust => hit him with your decisive strike... generally it's a kill

buy Mercury's Treads , other boots are not as good as those one for garren

after u can go youmuu's ghostblade or phantom dancer (longer but really usefull) , speed and crits are ur friends

mid game : ur opponent should be really afraid of you, so they will start to focus you
cause your judgment makes terrible damages on group fight, that's why I use Purge to get away from fight and don't die. U can chase low health hero cause u're really fast and u can backstab them with judgment

I only takes life items if I'm not fed.

End game : here u'll need life items

my 2 cents

Jaylin

28-06-2010

I've had pretty decent sucess lately with a tank Garen. My biggest problem with him was that if I went damage, my HP was low, and if I went for HP, my damage was low. Then I started stacking Sunfires. These let me build tank stats while keeping my damage up. Eventually, I get Atma's to boost my physical damage, but a good stack of HP + Courage = Hard to kill.

Ruby Crystal
Boots
Heart of Gold
Belt -> Sunfire
Merc's
Second Sunfire/Frozen Mallet (I usually take a Sunfire for the lower cost)
Randuin's
For the last two items, take Atma's and another defensive item depending on the other team. A safe bet is usually Banshee for the awesome passive and more MRes. Thornmail if they are really stacking physical DPS.

Final Build:

Merc's
Sunfire
Sunfire/Mallet
Randuin's
Banshee/Thornmail
Atma's

With runes/masteries, this can take you over 4k HP, with over 70% Armor and over 60% MRes. With that HP and Atma's, you're looking at about 180-200 AD total. I admit, the crit is a bit low (only from Atma's), but the Sunfires make up for it. Also, when fully built/runed, I'm expecting to hit 900 HP at lvl 1 (already at 800), which means your passive will be healing you quite a bit (20-23hp/5sec at 1k HP, more than a Regrowth pendant).

I currently spec 3/17/0, will be 9/21/0 at lvl 30. Runes are APen, Dodge, CD Reduction, Flat HP quints. Spells are Ghost and Cleanse. Ghost for chasing/running, Cleanse needs no explanation.

Keeps me alive, my AoE is sufficient so I can't be ignored and allows me to run into battle freely to pop my ult and silence casters. I tried playing DPS Garen, but it didn't really work out. Takes too long to get rolling and I don't like being that squishy with zero CC or ranged options. With this build, as soon as I hit the first Sunfire, my farming gets tons better, as does my overall combat presence.

EDIT: Corrected some numbers. Also, to clarify a bit more: While Garen can be quite strong early (high HP, decent passive, good damage with Judgement), I've found Garen's scaling in mid game to be a bit **** (Judgement is the only skill that scales). He just can't put out the numbers without tons of gear and it leaves him squishy. The Sunfire build helps his farming (which means more gold for more items), gives him a source of AoE damage independant of his abilities and keeps him hard to kill. He still has his Silence, Courage damage resist and Justice for killing people off. Judgement complements Sunfires nicely and once Atma's lands (with all that HP stacked up) it starts to put out VERY solid damage.