How is maokai support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cHinzo

30-10-2012

I play him occasionally as a support and he is alright. If u got a heavy ganking jungler in ur team, it's awesome to set up some easy kills and let ur lane snowball. It's also nice to connect his snare with other cc. His sapplings are free wards, but will also push the lane if u try to harass with it or if u throw them at the wrong place. With the amount of skills spammed at bot lane, he can easily sustain throughout his passive, but until lvl 6 there are no real benefits for the AD carry.

Need to look out for champs with blinks or dashes though. One wrong W could put u potentially right under their turret. I also wouldn't recommend playing Maokai vs Blitzcrank bot. Ur AD carry will die and there is nothing u can do to change that. I recommend playing him vs squishy lanes. He's also very tanky, because of his great armor scaling, but I still think he's better off in the jungle.

SilentK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-10-2012

I still think if u want a heavy cc champ support, either leona (more overall utility) or learn zyra

zyra is trickier, but she is also an annoying cc'er, land that E and u've just set up ur lane for a kill basically, ur ultimate(during lane phase) is better spent in the back where ur enemies are running, if they run, they're still getting cc'd

not gonna mention her teamfight presence with her cc kit

still zyra is extremely squishy, but ur also allowed to build some AP items and still get away with it, all depends on how u do in lane phase

3Petunia

30-10-2012

It works.

That's all I'm saying.

Athraxes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-10-2012

He works fine in an agressive botlane... a snare + slow+little knockback that cant miss is awesome for ganks. U also get free wards and a bit poke if u want to... the aoe dmg reduction is awesome for teamfights later on...

nisalogin

30-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triarii View Post
Good as support, but better in the jungle.
agree

Lady Mesana

30-10-2012

Fun, tanky, but not good..
maybe a counter to blitz?

Edit:
ok, so earlier someone said he was bad against blitz..
yes, if he manages to grab your ad into a good position..
you can try to snare/knockback blitz (or ad but i guess the ad will stay out of range).. but if they have enough burst it won't help.. but what support can? (soraka?)

if he grabs you, you snare his AD, knockback etc.. gives you a great opportunity to counter- engage (same with taric/ali)

so yeah.. you won't be able to save your ad in a blitz + corki lane..
but in most comps he's quite decent against a blitz, mainly because the blitz can't grab him. (unlike sona, soraka, lux, zyra etc)

keluo

30-10-2012

i prefer maokai in mid. purchased about 1 week ago. tryied solo top, bot lane, jungle, tank. but i would prefer tanky ap mid maokai. try its awesome.

Tibura

30-10-2012

Maokai has his perks as a support, his saplings provide vision and they are a good harass against the enemy support. The snare does its job of holding the ad in place, and then knock up. Then there's his ulti, which provides a great deal of protection at lvl 6. He works well as a bot lane support.