Idea regarding the upcoming Mastery changes for S3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joulupukkis

15-10-2012

So with some mastery changes coming up for S3 (no details out yet) I thought I'd pitch in few ideas for Riot to check if they wanna go for a bit more drastic route

Since LoL is all about the roles for players (Top, Adc, Mid, Support, Jungler) Why not take that role choice and use it to create role specific talent trees?

That way you could put really meaningful things in the tree without the fear or overpowering another role. (of course you could choose to use another roles tree but it would prob gimp you against your lane opponent)

This would help the Support role the most since it would allow for gold gain, mana gain, ap/ad etc to be given in the tree and diversify support picks and play styles.

Say what you will about the current state of support role in LoL but when support players in the best teams in the world end up playing 3/4 of the game with just 2 gp10 items and basic boots due to having to spend the rest of the gold buying wards there's just something wrong there.

EDIT:
Not sure where people got the wrong idea from, but the way masteries would be chosen was never going to change with this suggestion. First you pick your champ/role and then you have time to pick your masteries or use a premade set just like now. Only with better suited talents due to focused trees. I'd say that rather than forcing a meta this would open it up a lot more since it could potentially open roles for champs that might not have previously worked or even create new meta (double jungler etc)

b0oBs N s0aP

15-10-2012

Where did you see there will be a masteries change ? Do you have a source link ?

Wutever

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-10-2012

No. Stop trying to force the meta onto people. There is already extremely little room for creativity and this isn't an MMO. There is no reason why Riot should make role specific mastery trees whatsoever.

MrZakalwe

15-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutever View Post
No. Stop trying to force the meta onto people. There is already extremely little role for creativity and this isn't an MMO. There is no reason why Riot should make role specific mastery trees whatsoever.
^^This

Oh god, this.

Shinra Tensei

15-10-2012

You cannot even put every champ in a single role so how the heck should this help to balance things?

I mean Nunu can be jungle, support or even decent AP
I mean Oriana can be AP, support or decent AD
Lee Sin can be Top, Jungle or even decent Support
etc etc...

With a role specified talent tree which includes "drastic" improvements for the specific role this is not balanceable for champs which can do more then 1 role at the same time.
Maybe such an talent tree would OP AP oriana but completely shut down Support Oriana etc.

Masteries are a "nice to have" and should stay that way. If anything Riot can let us level to 35 and add new points / talents to the existing one.

Myon Synnex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clean Joke View Post
Where did you see there will be a masteries change ? Do you have a source link ?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...9#post30242389
first red post from morello

Suna Ye Sunnabe

15-10-2012

The fact that there is "extremely little role for creativity" is exactly why there need to be role specific masteries (and role queue).

Hell, at this point just remove the ability to spend mastery points and just let the player choose between ~3 masteries per tier, like WoW. There is a reason no one uses skill trees anymore.

saucemarocaine

15-10-2012

Yeah but they are also going to switch up the current Meta pretty hard in s3 according to red posts (read as: current Meta wont exist anymore in season 3)

Joulupukkis

15-10-2012

I never said a certain champ would be forced to take a certain choice? I just mean once you've locked in your choice in the champ select and you will be whatever role you will be, then choosing a mastery tree that is more defined to that role would be a good thing.
I by no means encourage straight up meta locking, but I just can't see how else they can change the support meta unless giving them a unique way enhancing what they can do with 0 cs and having to buy wards all the time

PoisonedTea

15-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutever View Post
No. Stop trying to force the meta onto people. There is already extremely little room for creativity and this isn't an MMO. There is no reason why Riot should make role specific mastery trees whatsoever.
really there is lots of room for creativity

but you still need roles

Is difficult to change the current role it does max effectiveness

but what we do within the role and what champions you pick can change all the time.