Computer shuts down when playing LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wildras

01-10-2012

I know there's a thread like this already but its buried and won't get any attention anytime soon.

My problem:
My laptop shuts down randomly when playing LoL. Sometimes and the end of the match, sometimes in the middle of it. Sometimes I get a hard-hang with the last sound stuck playing forever until I shutdown manually.
What I have done:
Ran chkdisk, memtest. Reinstalled gpu drivers. Reinstalled LoL. Checked temperatures of CPU and GPU. It's not overheating. It's not a HW problem and it's not because of drivers.
It only happens when playing LoL. No other software causes this.

One oddity: no matter how many times I reinstall or how cleanly I delete the previous installations of the game, when I install it again and launch it, I get an error that says: LoL has some files that may cause damage to files or computer. Then I get a message saying its been fixed. Happens every time I launch LoL.

I'm running win7 64bit on a Dell inspiron 7010N laptop.
So far the only option I haven't tried is a complete format of HDD and clean install of Windows. I do not want to do that.
This is driving me mad. Yes, iMad. It worked fine until the Pulsefire Ez patch.
F*ck.

P.S.
I don't think I need to upload dxdiag file. It checks out, no problems on HW or drivers' end. I am a comp. engineering student and I'm pretty sure it's LoLs' fault.

Bezdrev

02-10-2012

use the program speedfan, it sits in background and keeps track of the highest cpu temperatures you had.

also use speedfan to check your hard-drive its S.M.A.R.T. data.

Go to your event viewer, you might have BSOD's.

I personally have a lol memory leak lately, so you may be right that the problem is lol It crashed only once on me so far. Do you have alot of free space on the drive your windows has a memory swap file? Do you have swap file disabled?

Btw, laptops are horrible for gaming. The cooling often is inadequate, especially older laptops that have a hard time running the game you want to play.

Questions, do you have airco in your house where your laptop is? Do you live in south europe where its quite warm at this time of the year?

Wildras

02-10-2012

I checked event viewer for critical errors. Kernel power is the most prominent and the last error that occurs before the hang or reboot.
I had two BSODs. Both of them say Memory Management error with code 0x00000A.
Using this info I traced the error to a single file - ntoskrln.exe. It stands to reason that this file is corrupted. But wouldn't that cause problems for other games/software and not just LoL?
My laptop is quite powerful. I can run Skyrim on high settings and get 70-100 fps in LoL. I often do 3D renders that tax the CPU for 9-12 hours at 100%. I clean my laptop regularly (I open it, take out the fan and clean it). I have it raised on a book which allows the air to circulate to the vents and I live in the north-east part of EU. Temperature is always nominal here.
I installed MSI afterburner to check GPU temp when gaming. It stays well under 60 degrees Celsius.
I have 100GB free on a 500GB HDD.
I assume by swap file you mean page file. I have set it to 5934 MB. It is not disabled.
Whats an airco? Air conditioning? No, I don't need it here.
I never used speedfan. Installed it now and I'm checking the SMART tab. Not sure what I'm lookin' for. Could tell me what errors I need to check for? CPU, HDD and GPU temps below 50 C at the moment.
I think my only option is a clean reinstall of windows. Which going to take some time since I have lots of sensitive data to back up.
Cheers for the response. I thought this was going to fall on dead ears(or eyes).

Wildras

03-10-2012

Yeah, did a new install of windows. Complete HDD format. New drivers. Clean laptop.
Started up LoL. Just as the match ended i got BSOD. **** this. I did everything in my power to fix this short of buying another computer. Keep in mind this only happens to LoL. I can play other more taxing games with hours on end with no hint of trouble.
It's a great game and all but this is too much. Its hard not to cuss Riot with all possible curses. FIX YOUR DAMN MEMORY LEAKS.

P.S. The oddity (Unsafe installation) is gone.

I WANT BUM SEX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2012

Hi, this appears to be too advanced for general support to handle so I would suggest contacting the Riot support directly here: link

RiotDecrepit

QA Analyst

04-10-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Wildras,

Sorry to hear that you've been having this issue lately. It definitely sounds like you've gone through the most likely sources of this problem, so I'd highly recommend that you put in a support ticket here so that a member of our technical support team can provide you in-depth assistance with this issue. Just to help us out, I'd like to ask that you make sure to include the information that you posted here, and that you make sure to include a dxdiag with your ticket.

Wildras

04-10-2012

Sent a ticket with all the info and dxdiag. I hope we can fix this.
Thanks.

Wildras

05-10-2012

Okay, I think I figured it out.
It was sort of on my end.
Apparently, when I put pressure on the area where WASD keys are located, the laptop shorts and shuts down. I noticed this when working on photoshop and typing on skype intensely. I think when I'm playing LoL I make some sort of action/move with my left arm that causes the short to happen. I will test this theory when I buy a USB keyboard.
I usually never put much pressure on the keyboard when I'm working and when playing LoL things can get heated and you're hitting the keys hard. That might explain why I didn't see this happening to other programs.
If this turns out not to be the solution then I'll have double the trouble :/

Shirøs

06-10-2012

Exactly the same problem over here, but i got no laptop and the keyboard won't be the problem... support suggested a bunch of solutions nothing worked out yet..