League of Legends - A virus magnet?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StarMerge

01-10-2012

I have come to ask myself how safe it is to play a game that uses a constantly running launcher based on IE and Adobe, constantly loading stuff in the background from websites and, as the tech support suggests, has you disable or even uninstall your firewall and anti virus software.

As far as AV and FW go, after a bad infection of my system I no longer turn mine off and I must say neither the performance nor the crashing rate have increased on decreased.
I even maxed out my entire system in terms of protection including IE settings.

Now you got to ask yourself, do you really want to do money transactions through an Adobe/IE software with disabled protection, as there is no other way to purchase RP?

I gotta have some software magazines have a look at LoL in terms of negative software rewards. Until then I can only say: If you want to play LoL, learn to not care about people, learn to ignore your intuition and learn to accept things being done the most retarded way possible.

Minilano

01-10-2012

I thought this was a free giveaway -.-'

StarMerge

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minilano View Post
I thought this was a free giveaway -.-'
It is =D just play LoL the way they suggest it and you get your free share of virus...

Minilano

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMerge View Post
It is =D just play LoL the way they suggest it and you get your free share of virus...
I got so many viruses, I can't keep track of them anymore. I might as well get one more.

Ediwir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Wrenchman

01-10-2012

i don't even have IE... and i never got a virus from League :P

StarMerge

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minilano View Post
I got so many viruses, I can't keep track of them anymore. I might as well get one more.
Mistake to think that way. Viruses can literally force you to buy a new computer as they can:
- Open backdoors to download even more nasty viruses and give remote access to hackers.
- Log your passwords and anything else you type in regarding accounts such as game accounts, bank and paypal accounts and the like.
- Kill your Windows by messing up your files required for your computer to start or do other stuff.
- Plant themselves so deeply down your system, even formatting your hard drive may not get rid of them, some even store within hardware which literally makes your hardware useless as they will always load from there.

I have spent countless hours fighting viruses and I am by no means considering myself a pro.
But I can only agree what the pros keep stressing over and over again, get protection cause getting rid of something that made it onto your computer can become a mission impossible.
The problem is not to get rid of what you caught, the problem is the effort required to do so, it may take from just running an anti-malware cleaner over spending weeks and months working on it up to having no choice but to buy a completely new computer.

If it weren't this way, why would I care playing one of my favorite games?

StarMerge

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediwir View Post
i don't even have IE... and i never got a virus from League :P
I guess you ain't using Windows then, lucky you.
And I am also not saying you will necessarily get a virus from LoL, what I am more concerned about is getting a virus elsewhere, heck even the most regular websites can be infected and there are lots of other sources like IMs, emails, links from friends etc...... even with the best security software you are not 100% safe. Once that stuff is on your computer it will hook onto other software, especially those with internet access and where sensitive data is transferred, like the LoL launcher.

Simply put my message is, this LoL launcher is just a super bad thing to use as it is not safe, not protected either if you follow the advices tech support (which isn't supposed to suggest things can mess up or destroy your computer, right?) and at the same time transfers sensitive information regarding bank accounts.

YouAintGood

01-10-2012

Quote:

Lol what ?! .. I got all my anti-virus and firewall running, LoL never asked me to disable anything ? Try some better software man ...

And btw i use Mozilla Firefox browser, IE is **** and slow.

Ediwir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Wrenchman

01-10-2012

Quote:
I guess you ain't using Windows then, lucky you.
watch out, it's dangerous to say something like this on these forums.

StarMerge

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y U AintGood View Post
Lol what ?! .. I got all my anti-virus and firewall running, LoL never asked me to disable anything ? Try some better software man ...

And btw i use Mozilla Firefox browser, IE is **** and slow.
What are you talking about? LoL will still run in IE even when you set another browser as default. And yes I don't use IE either, I hate IE and it p***es me off that the launcher is running on it.
I use Comodo Dragon and Comodo IceDragon, one based on Chromium and the other on Firefox, including add-ons like noScript of course.

And there are many posts in threads and even the troubleshooting database of LoL in which they suggest to disable you FW and AV. I was even told personally by the customer service, I suppose some Chinese guy getting payed 1buck/hour to keep customers busy with random advices.