Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a tonne of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out Boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What does Tryharding mean?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CedomirJovanovic

09-27-2012

I think it means overkilling. But in the way for example its a 5v3 game, you are leading with 20 kills, have baron, bigger level, and someone in your team is still trying so hard to win as fast as possible like he is on a tournament.

Captain WSS

09-27-2012

Quote:
CedomirJovanovic:
I think it means overkilling. But in the way for example its a 5v3 game, you are leading with 20 kills, have baron, bigger level, and someone in your team is still trying so hard to win as fast as possible like he is on a tournament.

this.

i met a jarvan like that in a normal about 5 games ago and i wanted to weep ='c he wanted to baron and was timing dragon and everything and i was like dude.. its 5v3...

P0sixNinja

09-27-2012

Quote:
Why So Seerious:
this.

i met a jarvan like that in a normal about 5 games ago and i wanted to weep ='c he wanted to baron and was timing dragon and everything and i was like dude.. its 5v3...

Mmm, seems to me though that tryharding involves people that wanna get better through playing normals, because of the issue with ranked (your first 100-150 games will be learning to deal/and respect other players for their mistakes/inconsistencies)

CrossShade

09-27-2012

Term wasn't coined from Dota.

It's been used for a LONG time in many games.

Rushing in Command and conquer on a normal unranked game.

Using known cheap spots that provide little and in some cases no detriment to the player in FPS games.

In MMO's going into casual pvp with an extremely valuable consumable that provides ridiculous benefits.

Example each one would cost a total of 5% of your total net wealth in the game but instantly heals all your hp/mana.

In racing games it can even be used when a bunch of people are just racing to have fun and then someone picks a Grand Prix car.

So yeah, it's basically used when you try to increase your chances of winning with the absolute lowest chance of failing, makes it kinda ridiculous in casual gaming, in Ranked everyone should be doing it.

Good example I saw the other day.

My team just picks champs they wanna try/have fun with enemy picked a team comp that you'de expect in a tournament.

Morg/Jax/Graves/Blitz/Nautilus.

P0sixNinja

09-27-2012

Quote:
CrossShade:
Term wasn't coined from Dota.

It's been used for a LONG time in many games.

Rushing in Command and conquer on a normal unranked game.

Using known cheap spots that provide little and in some cases no detriment to the player in FPS games.

In MMO's going into casual pvp with an extremely valuable consumable that provides ridiculous benefits.

Example each one would cost a total of 5% of your total net wealth in the game but instantly heals all your hp/mana.

In racing games it can even be used when a bunch of people are just racing to have fun and then someone picks a Grand Prix car.

So yeah, it's basically used when you try to increase your chances of winning with the absolute lowest chance of failing, makes it kinda ridiculous in casual gaming, in Ranked everyone should be doing it.

Good example I saw the other day.

My team just picks champs they wanna try/have fun with enemy picked a team comp that you'de expect in a tournament.

Morg/Jax/Graves/Blitz/Nautilus.

Link please, i main BC. Yet i have never seen him used in ranked except 1-2 off times by Xspecial.

Gnoevoet

09-27-2012

Quote:
Bum Dust:
TryHard is a common term used in DoTa.

Many teams just random pick and play what they get - whilst the opposing team will pick the best champs to try and guarantee the win.

That is called 'TryHard' - because they are TRYING their HARDEST to win before the game has begun.

So yeah...TryHard only occurs at champion select.

Ugh, meant to downvote but instead upvoted, enjoy.

Anyway, the term tryhard is used more outside than in champion select, imo, especially in League. I can't say I noticed the term being used more in dota, but not sure.

I think one of the times where I hear a lot about tryharding is when one team does a 5-man gank against a lane that was already losing anyway. Honestly I've seen peopel throw it around just for people playing well, which is pretty much what it is. Do some fancy sh*t, kill enemy, and you're a "tryhard".

It's kind of the equivalent of saying "you just win because I'm not playing serious!"

Kawdie

09-27-2012

Playing the game to win, not for fun.. For normal blind pick and draft anyway.

You will see that attitude less in ranked queue but it still exists.

CrossShade

09-27-2012

Quote:
iAmEvilStopLaugh:
Link please, i main BC. Yet i have never seen him used in ranked except 1-2 off times by Xspecial.

Lolking likes to state that Blitz is picked in 30% this month.

Here be your link.

http://www.lolking.net/champions/blitzcrank#statistics