How to properly play Syndra in lane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zrima

17-09-2012

Syndra is a kinda weak champion at the moment, her ap ratios are not so good, she's supposed to harass but she's mana starved very fast. Also she's quite slow.

But have you ever tried to play her with a support?

I think somebody might be able to increase her damage output. He's able to deal a lot of aoe damage himself, but delayed, and also he must get in range to do anything, most of the time to his demise. And he can accelerate his friends.
Yes, I'm thinking of Zilean of course.

Now if you put Syndra and Zilean in the same lane, you can do the following:
- Get Mana Manipulator/Soul Shroud + Will of the Ancient to boost both of those characters
- Zilean places a bomb on any enemy minion, Syndra catches the same minion, and throw it right into the enemy's face.
- Remember to shout "Fire in the hole!"

There you go, you have your very own Grenadier Syndra! Have fun in the fields of Justice!

Mindbadger

17-09-2012

If you need to play an AP carry with a support to make them effective, you are playing them wrong.

Stop leveling Q first. All it does is increase the damage and cost. Level W first instead. It has better base damage (not counting her passive at max rank), it has better scaling, it gets reduced CD with levels and an increased slow, which helps your jungler gank. You also don't need your sphere's out for it to work, you can use it as a last hitting/harassment tool, pick up low health minions and chuck them at the enemy. If you miss, well, you killed the minion, so it wasn't completely wasted.

It's up to you whether you want to level up Q or E after W. But with W leveled and a chalice in your possession, you really shouldn't be encountering too much mana problems. You can spam balls better for your ult and abilities because they are cheaper.

As for her movement speed and low AP ratios, use move quints (they help a lot and you don't NEED the early AP) and build Mpen and CDR. Sure, you will build AP too, you just won't be one of those AP carries who rushes deathcap. Athene's and blue will give you all the CDR and mana you need, a fast haunting guise and sorc boots can give you plenty of Mpen till people start stacking MR. There's lots of options, people just need to give her a bit of time, she is obviously a higher skill cap champ.

But saying that she must rely on a support for her to play "properly" against a single champ? That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Zrima

17-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbadger View Post
But saying that she must rely on a support for her to play "properly" against a single champ? That's a bit of an exaggeration.
Of course you don't. This thread is just a joke, and I agree, leveling Q first is not the best idea, and W gives more damage. Yet again, I don't think it deals enough damage for how easy it is to be dodged.

And to be honest I wish to see more lane that breaks the meta somehow, I'm tired of seeing the same lanes every game.

ferret745

17-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbadger View Post
If you need to play an AP carry with a support to make them effective, you are playing them wrong.

Stop leveling Q first. All it does is increase the damage and cost. Level W first instead. It has better base damage (not counting her passive at max rank), it has better scaling, it gets reduced CD with levels and an increased slow, which helps your jungler gank. You also don't need your sphere's out for it to work, you can use it as a last hitting/harassment tool, pick up low health minions and chuck them at the enemy. If you miss, well, you killed the minion, so it wasn't completely wasted.

It's up to you whether you want to level up Q or E after W. But with W leveled and a chalice in your possession, you really shouldn't be encountering too much mana problems. You can spam balls better for your ult and abilities because they are cheaper.

As for her movement speed and low AP ratios, use move quints (they help a lot and you don't NEED the early AP) and build Mpen and CDR. Sure, you will build AP too, you just won't be one of those AP carries who rushes deathcap. Athene's and blue will give you all the CDR and mana you need, a fast haunting guise and sorc boots can give you plenty of Mpen till people start stacking MR. There's lots of options, people just need to give her a bit of time, she is obviously a higher skill cap champ.

I understand where you are coming from and a lot of what you are saying is very good e.g level q second so you can spam more balls, W has more dmg etc etc but even doing this the damage output she has is still way below what a lot of casters have even at lower levels.

Yes, she has a high skill cap but even if all skills are landed and a 6 ball combo goes off etc etc she still does minimal to other ap carry's.