How can we help Riot and LoL survive to Dota 2 !

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acertos

05-09-2012

[LEFT]Hi to everybody, i've never made any thread like this in the LoL forums but well i guess i will give it a try. It will be big and i don't visit these forums too often so i don't know if ur used to threads like that.

I don't know if any or a lot of you have heard but Valve, the owners of Dota 2 made their own tournament called The Internationnal 2 held in Seattle with 1 000 000 $ for the winner team, 250 000 $ for the second etc... Basically a huge cash-prize and guess what at a certain point there were more than 500k viewers. It was a huge success and Dota 2 passed on the national news in China because the winners were chinese. With this they got a lot of recognition and i'm afraid it might hurt LoL ( like the scandals with MLG and their contract with Riot).

Basically i think that sooner or later Dota 2 is going to surpass LoL (and possibly kill them just like HoN) and i absolutly don't want that because i love the game and this is why i post this. There are a few reasons why Dota 2 is better in some ways than LoL but i will get straight to the point :

In Dota 2, there are a lot more interesting mechanics than in LoL :

First the high risk/ high benefit mechanic, the heroes in Dota 2 are made to be cool first so you could say most of them are op, u take Lycan ulty u get max mov speed directly, another one can silence everybody on the map (Silencer), others tp an ally and himself to the other part of the map then 12 sec after get back from where he tp'd first (Wisp). I really think that Riot politic of nerfing things instead of upping everything is stupid, look at what Blizzard has done with Sc2 its now rly boring (when in bw every race had at least 2 op units but it was balanced).
I don't understand why panth and tf were nerfed actually there was no point and made them less enjoyable and from a viewer perspective it was rly cool to have a good tf ulty from the other side of the map get a kill then push a tower. Nerfing makes also things more boring. Still Riot always make new champions that are really cool like Zyra but again i think a hero based just on the plants would have been rly interesting putting 8 plants then buffing them to push towers.
The deny is also something that could rly separate noobs like me from pros and add more to the game and the meta (imagine a Krepo denying all the cs <3, ranged supports would be more played).

Second there is a lot of strategies to end the game which is not the case in LoL. In Dota, there is a short lane and a long lane, i think it would be better if it was implented in LoL because it would break this meta that has been forever 1-1-2 + jungler. U can often see 3 heroes on the same lane (because some heroes snowball more, are rly bad early but owns everybody with the farm) We also don't see push strategies anymore because the only one avaible is shen and he's banned for that almost every game. why not put a range on him like for tf and panth?
U also can't control ur own units, how come malza pet is so retarded? how come there is a huge delay when u try to control mordek phantom or shaco in ult? Yorick is a pain in the ass because guess what when the ghouls pop they attack AUTOMATICKLY the heroes. What this means is that there are no smarm of units that are able to push towers rly fast like in dota (and yes its cool to see it and cool to do it).
There are basically no strategy in the picks in LoL beside "does our team is op late game? or op team fights? or huge early game?" and the variations are rly small.

Third thing that is really really bugging me is the jungle and the overall utilisation of the map... How come the trees from dota and war3 were not kept in the game, trees with little paths where u can jump in/flash in + destroyable with spells. Why do we have bushes (which is brilliant and rly cool) but no vision when u are above someone, high-grounds and low-grounds are a good and interesting mechanics that we don't see in LoL.

All the features that i described and that lacks in League doesn't make the game a lot harder, i didnt talk about pulls, runes, scroll, other shops etc... Because it doesnt make dota better than LoL. I think the blue golem, the red lizard, the bushes, the back, the clear interface, the clear teamfights, the summoners spells, the masteries, the AD and AP scalling are brilliant ideas but with the idea of making things easier (a bit too much), Riot blocked the potential of their game : the game would be considered less easier, better for the viewer ( bored of 1-1-2 and games without kills for 10minutes), we would see more strategies and more innovatives ones, heroes with cooler spells ( mind controlling things, stealing spells/ exchanging spells, mana-burn on attack, mass invisibility etc...) perhaps an higher skill celing...

Dota 2 is coming and it will be a storm for riot. I think LoL is a great and better game and i don't think i will stop playing it for years but i can't tell that for a lot of people who like "flashier" things like graphics (even though LoL is rly pretty in my opinion), nukers (only annie in LoL ( kass and lb are assassins), more mechanics and harder ones overall.

This is it, i'm thanking the ones who read me until the end and i would like to hear all ur opinions on the matter. Perhaps it will get noticed by Riot, we never know.[/LEFT]

Perifear

05-09-2012

It's not gonna be such a storm, like D3, GW2 and various other releases all the hype will pass and things get back to normal quickly.

Also, season 3 coming up with player salaries, more opportunities for amateur teams to go pro, live weekly HD streams by pro players plus de largest prize pool in E sports history, for the upcoming last Season 2 Championship and even MORE prizes Season 3.

How is Riot/League gonna die in any possible way ?
lol

PS: Even what you describe as more 'deep' gameplay in Dota 2, I bet all my money on it that people will try Dota 2, will dislike the visuals, dislike the 'clunky' and delayed/confusing controls and move on to go back to play League. I'm not saying Dota 2 is bad, don't get me wrong, it will just not make such an impact on the average player of the LoL community.

Also, the team of Dota 2 decided to make all heroes free to play. Bad decision imo, people will play without a 'goal' rather than just getting elo. Skins/cosmetic items aren't really that interesting in dota 2 either, as the visuals are kind of blurry. I don't think many people care to have a shoulder part on them in Dota 2, while it's funny to be the extremely noticable scarecrow with funny sounds, animations; balloons, a party hat and colourful stuff around you. aka Surprise part fiddlesticks.

diabh

05-09-2012

LoL is the most played online game, surpassing even WoW. You're a fool if you think Dota2 would even scratch this game.

MaxCioco

05-09-2012

Dota 2 is basicly a dota with beter visuals, same heroes and SAME abilities. If I remember well valve was sued by blizzard. Anyway, I mostly play dota, and I think lol is going to stand a chance on dota 2 because who likes dota 2 will mostly go asap to the original!
LoL is the easyest moba game I have every played. Try to introduce Invoker in lol and 99,999% of the people who try him will quit.
Not to mention in dota/dota 2 the is nothing auto! You need to do every single thing! Not to mention to choose where the courier goes first etc.
Dota is for the hardcore players, dota 2 for fancy players, hon is for the lost in the woods and lol for most. I love lol cuz is just simple as it is. Unfortunare new champs are repetitive

Diombel

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acertos View Post
[LEFT I don't know if any or a lot of you have heard but Valve, the owners of Dota 2 made their own tournament called The Internationnal 2 held in Seattle with 1 000 000 $ for the winner team, 250 000 $ for the second etc...
Have you ever heard of LoL's season finale tournament prise ? 1M for the 1st , 0.5M for the second. And this is just for the final tournament. It is yet to see how many people are going to watch it. Besides Dota 2 will be paid to play, and LoL isn't .

And i dont believe most of the players are going to switch to DotA 2 , since most of them switched from DotA once before(like me) and i find LoL's gameplay way better then the one DotA 2 presents.

MaxCioco

05-09-2012

Dota 2 is most likely going to be free. Let`s admit it , any other way they are dead since the first minute out of beta. The usual dota is free to play and if u like it you don`t need dota 2 for a little bit of more graphic.
SO for any1here who is concerned about lol, dun worry, ain`t going to die or fade in shadows, is going to do forward as before!

mynameiscrash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

u stfu , done

Nandig

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acertos View Post
(...)the clear teamfights(...)
This is the only reason i play LoL and left other mobas after trying. I just hate games where i cant see what is happening on the screen. I know that dota/HoN have many much cooler and more innovative mechanics but what does it give if i cant use them properly?

LoL isn't better... but it's the only playable moba atm.

Embla

06-09-2012

Dota 2 is already winning. Dota in fact never lost to Riot, the only reason it looks like it is because Dota was only a mod on WC3 and most of the players are chinese (Dota is the biggest game in their country, it's in all cybercafe and stuff) but as you know it's hard as **** to get informations from China. Dota 2 just need to keep these chinese players.
Icefrog the guy taking care of Dota said multiple times he had more than 15M download of the new version of the game (new patch) every time. Even before Riot was just made.

And the LoL competitive scene is a joke. Riot is making it look big by paying more and more money and giving themselves salary to pros (if that's not a desperate move to keep a pro scene i don't know what is this). They also state in their contract that they don't want any other MOBA game if they are on the location + they pay places to give their game a spot.
Looks like a compagny really confident about his e-sport scene... They are making it look big, but if they let the community do it without their money everything collapses.

Valve they do only what they need. A ****load of features in the game to support tournaments, teams and please the viewers, LAN and one tournament a year with a big price pool to make it big but not a price pool growing every year to show their e-peen to the world (and I don't think i need to tell you who are Valve, they have the money to show off).

Caridor

06-09-2012

We don't need to do anything.
They will not only survive but thrive.