Remove the leveling system

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dj Toodles

Senior Member

29-08-2012

lets look at this from a purely advantages and disadvantages standpoint.

Right to get this down we need to know what the leveling system in lol does

gives staggered access to runes
gives staggered access to masteries
gives staggered access to summoner spells

right so its basically supposed to slowly ease people into all of the games 3 features.

Advantages -

Riot can sell XP boosts

People just starting out the game have some time to get used to it before they join the majority of players @level 30


Disadvantages -

People can have unfair advantages in game if they have access to certain summoner spells (ignite/flash) when others dont.

People can gain an advantage in games through increased stats brought on about by extra masteries/runes given by extra levels.

Feels like a grind to get to level 30 removing the fun from the game

Jungling is less useful early levels


right i think these are all fair points - if u think i missed any out post them.


Now the only (from a game standpoint no financial standpoint) benefit is allowing people time playing with others of their level (new players with not much experience)

The fix for this is simple. That is having people for the first 100 games (about the amount it takes currently to get to level 30) tagged with a "beginner" badge, the people with this tag then go into a different que and will only be playing with people who also have this tagged. The option could also be given to have this tag removed for smurf accounts, this will (if the player is not intentionally noob bashing) make is so the actual beginners are playing with actual beginners and not with experienced players on low level accounts.

What this will achieve is giving people time to get used to the game without any of the drawbacks (such as varying levels) commonly found with the standard leveling system, it will also remove the grind of getting levels.

Now the only drawback to this (from a financial standpoint not game play standpoint) is riot will not be able to sell XP boosts. Its not as though Riot can be making much money of the boosts anyway. The only reason to keep the leveling system is for the XP boost sales, but this is a morally questionable reason, especially when from champion and skin sales alone Riot probably makes more money than Belgium.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Messher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

29-08-2012

This is worse than the leveling system lol


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IcyFireFly

Senior Member

29-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Toodles View Post
The only reason to keep the leveling system is for the XP boost sales, but this is a morally questionable reason, especially when from champion and skin sales alone Riot probably makes more money than Belgium.
Why Belgium?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

shaunika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

29-08-2012

only thing that should be done is that summoners above lvl12 could not be queued with someone below it. because flash just makes too much of a gap (unless of course a sub lvl12 queues together with someone above 12, but they should not encounter people below 12 either, in this case the sub lvl12s matchmaking should be equal to lvl12) runes and masteries rarely make that big of a difference, and it gives something for new players to play for. if progress was removed, riot could potentially lose a lot of new/very casual players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kameh

Senior Member

29-08-2012

What about the pleasure of discovering a new Summoner spell , a new Rune slot ?
Personally i enjoyed that when i started out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dj Toodles

Senior Member

29-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyFireFly View Post
Why Belgium?
dunno seemed like a nice country to use


Quote:
Originally Posted by Messher View Post
This is worse than the leveling system lol
how so it has the same advantages with no disadvantages.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunika View Post
only thing that should be done is that summoners above lvl12 could not be queued with someone below it. because flash just makes too much of a gap (unless of course a sub lvl12 queues together with someone above 12, but they should not encounter people below 12 either, in this case the sub lvl12s matchmaking should be equal to lvl12) runes and masteries rarely make that big of a difference, and it gives something for new players to play for. if progress was removed, riot could potentially lose a lot of new/very casual players.

its a good idea which only involves changing the matchmaking (which would proabably be harder to implement), but i disagree about the losing casual players part, the last thing a casual player wants to have to do is grind out levels. In a game like there is no point to leveling, What is boils down to is u have to play the game to get levels before u can actually play the game proper lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameh View Post
What about the pleasure of discovering a new Summoner spell , a new Rune slot ?
Personally i enjoyed that when i started out.
yes its sort of nice at first, but when u start to see your playing with people 2 to 4 levels higher it becomes nothing more than an annoyance. the joy of progression quickly gives way to the grind of leveling especially when the only incentive to level is to get on equal footing with the majority of players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Minilano

Senior Member

29-08-2012

Riot only cares about making money so I doubt they will even consider removing it. Anyways, I feel like leveling to 30 gives me a goal while playing it. Playing games 24/7 while being "level 30" all the time is freaking boring, when I did level from 1-30 then I got a good feeling when I did hit level 30.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arthurion

Member

29-08-2012

The major advantage of the lvling system is that it makes ppl fear getting banned.

Just think about how smurfs behave now and imagine how they would behave if they didn't have to lvl a new acc to 30 if their smurf got banned.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dj Toodles

Senior Member

29-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurion View Post
The major advantage of the lvling system is that it makes ppl fear getting banned.

Just think about how smurfs behave now and imagine how they would behave if they didn't have to lvl a new acc to 30 if their smurf got banned.
This is a fair point, but a simple solution would be to let people make smurfs but if they continually behave poorly on those smurfs, for which the smurf accounts continually get banned, simply block the IP from creating any more alternate accounts, so a sort of - u have the privilege to make extra accounts but abuse this and it will be taken away from u.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Minilano View Post
Riot only cares about making money so I doubt they will even consider removing it. Anyways, I feel like leveling to 30 gives me a goal while playing it. Playing games 24/7 while being "level 30" all the time is freaking boring, when I did level from 1-30 then I got a good feeling when I did hit level 30.
well i have played around 2000 games assume each on of them is 30mins. Its around 1000 hours of game time, now it roughly takes 100 games to get to 30 which is 50 hours. Meaning only 5% of my play time is leveling, Most people i see in game now have a similar number of games if not more, so if u get bored playing at level 30 all the time then maybe LOL isnt the game for u.

Unfortunately and sadly, you hit the nail on the head with the first line , "riot only cares about making money"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpinDrah

Senior Member

29-08-2012

Downvoted


123