Darius vs Jayce

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RamMussolini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

24-08-2012

Hi!

I recently played Darius on toplane vs Jayce and got pwned pretty hard. I can't explain to myself, how he did it. Whether it was just me, being too bad in playing Darius or whether Jayce is sort of a counter to Darius.

Here's the situation:
Since I suspected it wouldn't be easy vs Jayce, I started off with a clotharmor + 5pots. At first I actually seemed to slightly win the damagetrades. But at some point Jayce started to deal immense damage. I believe it was as soon as he turned lvl 6, but I'm not sure.
Even though I froze the lane right in front of my tower, I still had problems vs him. Every time he managed to land a combo on me, he got me from 100% to 40% health, whereas my E, Q, W Combo only could do like 20% damage on him.
He poked me so hard, that it wasn't much of a deal for him to dive me whenever I dropped below a certain health-percentage.

On top of it all, I barely got any ganks, although he was right in front of my tower all the time. Anyway, damagetrading was absolutely impossible at some point, although we had the same level and about the same farm / itemisation, I dropped below half of my health while I seemed to only scratch him a bit during any damagetrade.
Even when I finally got a gank from Warwick, he almost killed us both.
I can't figure out what went wrong during this match. I like to learn from my mistakes, so that next time I face Jayce with Darius, I won't do it wrong again, but I simply can't figure out what I did wrong. He dealt more damage, while being tankier without having any level or farm advantage.

Any explanations?

fightknights

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

24-08-2012

He could have armor runes and armor items.
He has ranged attacks.
Darius should be played really aggressive or he's not that effective.
You maybe didn't dodge his attacks that well.

Hope this helps.

aDeadFish

26-08-2012

Hi,
i am just level 24 but Jayce is my favourite, so i run frequently in a Darius in my normals.
Armor runes is defenetly something you will find on a Jayce, so are flat damage runes.
On some website (don`t know anymore which) Jayce was mentioned as a counter for Darius.
When i hit lvl 2 ingame i have a huge weapon in meaning of poking: my skillshot and my gate. So as a melee you will have a hard time to trade well against me.
Also: If you use your "spinning" (i do not know what ability that is) for farming minions (or to prepare them for last hit) and i know that the ability is on cooldown i can without danger for me getting in close range in my hammer form doing additional damage.
Fun for me as Jayce))
Clotharmor and pots are good, but reserve your spinning ability for the encounter, try to farm under the tower, hope that you have a jungler with a good cc (because darius lacks of it) or try to change lanes with your teammates.
Hope i could help although i am under your level
See u on the fields
glhf

EvilEpic

27-08-2012

Jayce is like the perfect counter vs Darius.
Jayce can harrass him all night long and can zone Darius really hard. If Darius can pull Jayce, ajayce just kicks him away and Harras him more.

Katsuhayabi

27-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMussolini View Post
Hi!

I recently played Darius on toplane vs Jayce and got pwned pretty hard. I can't explain to myself, how he did it. Whether it was just me, being too bad in playing Darius or whether Jayce is sort of a counter to Darius.

Here's the situation:
Since I suspected it wouldn't be easy vs Jayce, I started off with a clotharmor + 5pots. At first I actually seemed to slightly win the damagetrades. But at some point Jayce started to deal immense damage. I believe it was as soon as he turned lvl 6, but I'm not sure.
Even though I froze the lane right in front of my tower, I still had problems vs him. Every time he managed to land a combo on me, he got me from 100% to 40% health, whereas my E, Q, W Combo only could do like 20% damage on him.
He poked me so hard, that it wasn't much of a deal for him to dive me whenever I dropped below a certain health-percentage.

On top of it all, I barely got any ganks, although he was right in front of my tower all the time. Anyway, damagetrading was absolutely impossible at some point, although we had the same level and about the same farm / itemisation, I dropped below half of my health while I seemed to only scratch him a bit during any damagetrade.
Even when I finally got a gank from Warwick, he almost killed us both.
I can't figure out what went wrong during this match. I like to learn from my mistakes, so that next time I face Jayce with Darius, I won't do it wrong again, but I simply can't figure out what I did wrong. He dealt more damage, while being tankier without having any level or farm advantage.

Any explanations?

Jayce does counter darious in a way (darius weakness being- he sucks vs ranged mostly), but still you shouldn't be destroyed that badly, there is always a way to play any matchup

Starting with cloth 5 pots is a mistake- what you basically get by doing that is getting jayce damage you non stop without you being able to retaliate (range and speed difference) while you just waste gold on pots (them being expendable items) while getting nothing out of them (after you gulp that pot, he still outranges you, so you gained nothing), also notice that his main source of damage is his meele form of e- and it does magic damage

What you shouldve done is go boots/4 pots, that way you can at least catch up to him while he last hits so you can pull him and potentially make a good exchange and let him take minion aggro while he chases you in ranged form (he will end up in minions if you position properly)

Also general tip on playing vs ranged champ as a meele at top lane: use the brushes so you don't get free harass on yourself

Damage dynamics:
Levels 1-4 you should force exchanges with him (jayce wanting to take q-1 w-1 e-1 e-2) moment he takes 3rd point in e- he outdamages you significantly

So level 5- you should not force any exchange

Level 6- you should try killing him because he is at a disadvantage (gets like 40 magic damage on switch bonus and 10 resists- which is nothing compared to darius getting 6)

After 6, if you failed to kill him by wearing him down levels 1-4 and killing him at 6, he stomps you with no chance of recovery- his e just hits too hard (cry for ganks, wait late game)

Another general tip: invest in gp5 items in a matchup like this where you know you can't kill the enemy during mid game

RamMussolini

28-08-2012

Thx a lot for all those hints. You're probably right about the boots. I wasn't sure about Jayce's damagetype, since every time I encountered him he almost only bought AD items along some tanky stuff.

It's those details when encountering hard enemies which I lack at. At which level should I play more aggressively and when not. I alrdy had the impression that after some levels he totally outdamages me, as you certified in your post Katsuhayabi. So if I'm getting it right, basically I should try and harass him a lot during lvl 1 - 4, save my life when he turns 5 and play passive / dodge as much as possible and then again try to kill him, as soon as I hit lvl 6. And if I fail, gp5 is the way to go.

What do you think about item choice? I've seen a lot of Darius players buy an early Philo-stone and then Phage. I guess some regen is not a bad choice vs Jayce's harassment. What else should I get during laning phase? His ranged attack is physical damage, right?

General Stormfox

28-08-2012

His energy bolt thingy deals physical damage, yes. Just his stance-switch-proc and his lightning field aura are magic damage. Oh, and the knockback, which is mostly used for utility and not for damage during the laning phase.

If you want to counter his harass, you would build armor. So if you decide to just play it safe (which is often a sensible choice vs some champ that lanes stronger than yours most of the time), going for early armor items can be a viable choice. Glacial Shroud or Wriggle's Lantern (or both one after another) can be very good early items in that case. Glacial solves your mana issues alongside, while wriggles gives you some damage to trade back. Before the recent nerf, I would have suggested HoG=>Randuins, but its kinda meh now.

RamMussolini

28-08-2012

All right, that sounds coherent. I do not see myself having mana problems too often, as long as my enemy doesn't push too hard and I need to spam my Q. So what about Warden's Mail? Wouldn't that be viable? It gives even more armor, good liferegen and has a nice passive effect, that might allow me to do some counter damage, whenever he hits me. Question is: Does Jayce have ranged attacks that trigger the passive effect?
I guess wriggler's is still better huh?

Nerro13

28-08-2012

He is very much a counter to Darius.

Range=Owns Darius.(First hint)
Movement speed boost on stance change.
Your hook=his hammer.You pull,he will push you back.
LOOOOONG range poke ability
And finally,Array of offensive abilities.Darius has three at most.

So basically,if you can't own early as Darius,due to lack of durability and power,you will die.Darius is meant to be a straight forward champion who excels at melee duel.But that's about it.Everyone else just kills him like he is nothing.

Elf12399

20-01-2013

This will pretty much help:
1) Try harassing him with your Q when he is trying to farm.
2) Make sure you have a lot of health potions. Grab him and harass him as much as possible. He will have to knock you back, which costs mana.
3) As soon as his mana is over be aggresive.
4) Try to farm with your Q, if u get close, he will poke you.
5) Stay behind minions when he opens the accelerator gate.
6) Hide in the bush so that he cannot range attack u