Do we want a Master Yi rework?

Yes, let the Wuju Style Master look and feel like a true Wuju Style Master! 82 82.83%
No why even bother? 17 17.17%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Master Yi Rework

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mithraki

17-08-2012

Recently RIOT created a video, which depicted their thought and work process, that focus around champion creativity. In the video RIOT discuss how themes are important in many ways to every champion - for instance's when you see tryndamere you have to instantly relate him to a barbarian and his spells, sounds, comments and so on furthermore enhance the theme of a barbarian.

Honestly I believe that Master Yi, as a champion, is unfinished.. We have a Wujo style master which trained for thousands of years, harnessed his power and skill yet he look like some scrawny man who never ate enough or trained enough.. In addition we have his skill set: The Q (Alpha Strike) could be upgraded in various ways to work better, look better and give us the feeling that we actually play a Wuju master champion, who mastered his swordstyle.. Right now the Q spell is a failed part of his theme.

Master Yi's W spell is a far cry away from what a true wuju style master, in my head, would be capable of.. Why does he have a spell, which force him to be stationary so he can heal and gain bonus resistance - its an anti offensive spell on a champion, which in my opinion should be much more agressive but still reflect balance and selfcontrol. In short the W does not reflect the theme of a Wuju style master..

When a person trained for thousand's of year's he would be really strong thus gaining immense physical power - thus the E spell of master yi actually reflect the theme of a Wuju master - it even looks cool with the glow on the sword - it reflects inner strenght in some way comparable to that of the souls force..

Master Yi's R, ultimate ability, is a steroid ability meaning that it buff's him in various ways - this spell is just a sad Olaf ultimate in my opinion.. you can not be slowed but you can be cc'ed by anything else.. The attack speed buff from the ultimate synergise well with the passive spell (2x Hit every 7th attack). So a man who is a Wuju Style master trained and perfected his style and this spell compliments the theme to some degree I would say.

Q?- What could be done about this unfinished champion?
A! - First of all make him look like a Wuju master.. A man who trained for thousands of years in solitude does not look like some weak scrub.. If anyone remember tryndamere before RIOT buffed his size by 20% they would agree with me.. Let Master Yi look buffed, trained, yet balanced within himself - let him be a Wuju Style Master.. not a sad weak looking man....

I do feel that the visual effects of his Q could reflect master swordsmanship way better.

The W spell should, in my opinion, be completely reworked - its just not fitting with his role and kit!

the E abillity is really neat and is also kind of unique and as stated before it reflects some kind of inner strenght with the glowing aura effect around his sword.

The R abillity could use some visual tweaking to enchance the theme of a Wuju Master and it could use some rework since there are similar spells in the game which are just better and it could in some way be compared to Darius Ultimate - Killsteal and reset cooldown on your spells then killsteal even more... In other words it is anti teamwork.. Sad !

The Passive should be buffed - maybe lower the hit from 7 to 5, just as with Nunu's passive to get more power out of it..

I would like you all to remember that this is how I feel a true Wuju Master, who trained with a sword for eons, would thematical look and feel like. Please upvote or comment if you have time and feel like helping the course of the Wuju Master..

~My Thoughts~

*Master Yi trained with his sword for eons thus he can deal fatal blows with it in split seconds*
Double Strike (Passive): (Innate) Master Yi strikes twice every 5th basic attack. Double Strike is affected by "Focus Stacks".

*Master Yi mastered several hidden moves and one of those is the Wind Slash - Quick as the wind he slice through several enemies in an instant*
Alpha Strike / Wind Slash (Q active): Master Yi dashes across the battlefield striking up to 4 enemies, dealing physical damage to each enemy. Any hit with Wind Slash count's as a normal hit thus it can gather Focus Stacks. Wind Slash is affected by "Focus Stacks".

*Master Yi is wise and through harsh training and dedication he mastered balance in offense and defense. One could say that Master Yi posses unusual high focus during combat and that he quickly analyse difficult situations*
(Meditate) Focus (W active/passive): Master Yi gains 1 "Focus Stack", for a limited duration, each time he strikes an enemy minion or neutral and 3(2) each time he strikes an enemy champion. Each stack of focus grants increased Armour, Magic Resistance and passive Health Regen. Master Yi can have a maximum of 15(20) "Focus Stack's". Master Yi can consume the "Focus Stack's", once he reach the maximum, to enhance his other abilities for a limited duration.

Focus Buff (gained upon consuming 15(20) Focus Stacks for a limited duration):
- Double Strike (the double hit (extra hit)) apply armour reduction for a short duration.
- (Alpha Strike) Wind Slash can apply the "Double Strike" hit to first target(could be more than 1).
- Wuju Style's active effect duration is increased.
- Highlander's cooldown is reset (half reset).

*Master Yi learned how to put his soul into his sword thus enhancing the blade - in other words it is the essence of the Wuju Style*
Wuju Style (E active/passive): Grants bonus magic (physical) damage, on basic attack's and "Wind Slash" for as long as Wuju Style is not on cooldown. Master Yi can activate this ability to receive bonus magic (physical) damage equal to double the passive bonus for 10 seconds. Wuju Style is affected by "Focus Stacks".

*Master Yi pulls forth inner strenght which emmit the aura of a true Wuju Style Master*
Highlander (R active): Increases Master Yi's movement speed and attack speed for a few seconds. Additionally, killing or assisting on a champion kill during the duration will grant maximum "Focus Stacks". Highlander is affected by "Focus Stacks".

Zagdem

18-08-2012

In one hand your arguments are valid.

In the onther hand, you go too far from the original Master Yi. Most reworks are rather small modifications, so I think you have to be cautious about our suggestions : it is not a new champion, it is just a new Master Yi.

That being said, I really share your vision about what a swordmaster should be. I will think about it and make rework suggestions later if I have something to say.

Just one point : what role should Master Yi have? Top? Mid? Jungler?
I think the metagame is in one hand a non-argument in character creation, and on the other hand absolutely crutial if the character is supposed to be played.

Zagdem

18-08-2012

Ideas (will be updated):

E - use the passive.
Immagine that E resets the passive. That would be great, because when you activate E you deal a real burst of damage automatically. Good players will wait for their passive to activate / E / reuse the passive instantly to deal tons of damage. This is the way you play a skilled swordsmaster!

W - This skill is supposed to represent the balance between peace and war, meditation and fight. It makes sense, and even the fact of being immobile is not that bad.
For me, the problem is more that it is not really fun. I think something should be done to make Yi's meditation interesting in terms of gameplay. If it is impossible then yes, remove it.

more stuff coming (one day)...

Sendo no Mai

18-08-2012

Q- this skill could use a better animation.
W- this skill is so awesome, especially with ap yi. You just go in and tank everything (I once tanked a kat ult nunu ult and graves with just that, how is that not fun?
E- this skill is boring but it is kinda needed...I guess
R- not really interesting but its a good skill and no its not a lame olaf ult because it gives you the cooldown.

Zagdem

18-08-2012

Hi,

@Sendo no mai : your argument about W is, in my opinion, not an argument. I think we don't expect the same thing from this game

But I respect your point of view of course.

Enfartabrutus

18-08-2012

You want him to look more wise and like a man who trained for many many years, but you want to take meditate away?

I think yi's skills (like Q) could receive an appearance rework but that's about it, nothing else.

Sendo no Mai

18-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagdem View Post
Hi,

@Sendo no mai : your argument about W is, in my opinion, not an argument. I think we don't expect the same thing from this game

But I respect your point of view of course.
thanks for your opinion and respect in my point of view.

I don't see how this is not an argument. This skill makes ap yi semi viable and makes ap yi into ad yi a really good choice because ap yi is strong early game. I think this skill is still good for yi. I still think this skill is fun to use and I think its still useful (to tank towers/sustain in lane/ block incomming attacks) <- this is the argument against your statement about this skill.

oh, I still value the opinion of those who think otherwise and respect that...and stuff

Zagdem

18-08-2012

I thought you meant "it is strong so it is fun", which is not my point of view. Versatility in itemization is something I also appreciate.

What I think about this skill is that there should be something more fun to do with it. Two options in my opinion :
1 - Something based on meditation, that shows the balance in intellectual and physical power.
2 - Something different, more mobile, more offensive / more physical...

Perhaps something like the E based on meditation would be interesting. You would have to choose between adding points into an offensive or a defensive passive... But it is not that "Master Yi" imo.

Mithraki

19-08-2012

There have definetly been many good point of views presented.

@Enfartabrutus: said that W (meditate) thematically help us think of Master Yi as wise, and I actually agree on that, but to some the mechanics of meditate is annoying and to others it is really neat - I definetly do not like the stationary thing about the skill... Yet I believe he should maintain a skill named "Meditate" since it does reflect wisdom.

@Zagdem: I believe Master Yi should be thought of as an AD carry, yet it is hard to make a melee AD carry viable and strong in the bottom lane - they oftent tend to end in the top lane, if played at all (or the jungle) which is the same for Tryndamere. I would love to see more suggestions regarding his rework and I am glad you share my vision of a true Swordmaster - Wuju Style deserves to be enhanced since I believe it is one of the best themes in the game. So far the suggestions and thoughts have been great.

@Sendo no Mai: I understand where you come from - AP Yi can be really fun but for me this is just not right. Master Yi should be reflected as physically strong but also mentally. But AP is a damage factor for mage champions and Master Yi was never meant to be a mage - he is a Swordmaster of the Wuju Style which he harnessed for thousands of years in solitude until he met Wukong which is now his only known pupil - Wukong as a Wuju Style user is not even AP viable and all his kit is evolving more around the physical aspects.. But to be fair it is cool that some people like the AP version of Master Yi and it is nice that they have fun with it but for Master Yi to become truely viable once again we would need to nerf the AP aspect I believe thus enhancing his AD powers (somethings must be removed to allow new and more great things).

~My Thoughts~

*Master Yi trained with his sword for eons thus he can deal fatal blows with it in split seconds*
Double Strike (Passive): (Innate) Master Yi strikes twice every 5th basic attack. Double Strike is affected by "Focus Stacks".

*Master Yi mastered several hidden moves and one of those is the Wind Slash - Quick as the wind he slice through several enemies in an instant*
Alpha Strike / Wind Slash (Q active): Master Yi dashes across the battlefield striking up to 4 enemies, dealing physical damage to each enemy. Wind Slash is affected by "Focus Stacks".

*Master Yi is wise and through harsh training and dedication he mastered balance in offense and defense. One could say that Master Yi posses unusual high focus during combat and that he quickly analyse difficult situations*
(Meditate) Focus (W active/passive): Master Yi gains 1 "Focus Stack", for a limited duration, each time he strikes an enemy minion or neutral and 3(2) each time he strikes an enemy champion. Each stack of focus grants increased Armour, Magic Resistance and passive Health Regen. Master Yi can have a maximum of 15(20) "Focus Stack's". Master Yi can consume the "Focus Stack's", once he reach the maximum, to enhance his other abilities for a limited duration.

- Double Strike (the double hit (extra hit)) apply armour reduction for a short duration.
- (Alpha Strike) Wind Slash can apply the "Double Strike" hit to first target(could be more than 1).
- Wuju Style's active effect duration is increased.
- Highlander's cooldown is reset (half reset).

*Master Yi learned how to put his soul into his sword thus enhancing the blade - in other words it is the essence of the Wuju Style*
Wuju Style (E active/passive): Grants bonus magic (physical) damage, on basic attack's and "Wind Slash" for as long as Wuju Style is not on cooldown. Master Yi can activate this ability to receive bonus magic (physical) damage equal to double the passive bonus for 10 seconds. Wuju Style is affected by "Focus Stacks".

*Master Yi pulls forth inner strenght which emmit the aura of a true Wuju Style Master*
Highlander (R active): Increases Master Yi's movement speed by and attack speed for a few seconds. Additionally, killing or assisting on a champion kill during the duration will grant maximum "Focus Stacks". Highlander is affected by "Focus Stacks".

~End~
There you have it folks - I have tweaked more or less all the spells but to no such extend that Master Yi becomes an entirely new champion because we want to maintain what makes him Master Yi yet also enhance his theme as a Wuju Style Swordmaster who trained his mind and physical strenght for thousands of years in solitude. I have tried to maintain this wisdom in his kit but also to help make him feel stronger as a AD carry champion who specialize in melee thus he could go bottom lane, jungle or top still but where he would have most succes is not possible to tell at the specific time.

I look forward to read your feedback and thoughts on this attempt which I have done. Best regards Cpt Dawn.

Zagdem

19-08-2012

Nice to have done it all,

Before I give my opinion, I will try to understand

I have not really understood the stuff with Focus stacks.
- Duration?
- How do you use it? Passively, just after the max has been reached?