Do you think a suscription service is a good idea?

Yes 2 15.38%
No 4 30.77%
Maybe, depending on how Riot does it. 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

League of Legends "Plus" Subscriptions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hazza2828

07-08-2012

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but Champion items & suggestions didn't seem right.

So we all like League of Legends, and over the last year I shudder to think how much RP I have spent on champions and skins.

With Riot constantly releasing new content I feel unless I hit the cap every day I struggle to have the IP to buy champions on release. So I thought of this too address this issue.

I think a League of Legends “Plus” subscription service would be a good idea.
Let me just show you quickly how it might work and address some criticisms.

You would pay roughly £6 each month for the service, this gives you:
1.) Flat % reductions on the RP and IP costs of champions (10% or 20%?)
2.) A 7(?) day boost of IP each month
3.) All new champions on release for that month (or heavily discounted)
4.) Flat % reductions on the cost of additional RP (Or just bonus RP per purchase)

(5.? Subscriber only "Flash" sales: 8 hour deals in which champions are reduced by 30-50%?)

This I feel is a win/win situation, people who spend a lot of money on league will be rewarded over time as they make more and more purchases and players will find it easier to get the IP needed for those expensive tier 3 runes.

Now onto the possible criticisms:
1.) This is too much for too little!

- It probably is, this is just me drafting the idea of having a subscription service, the appropriate rewards and content would be decided by Riot of course.

2.) League of Legends is Free to Play, this will feel like you're getting a restricted service if you choose not to subscribe

- Everything here apart from skins can be bought with IP, League of Legends already has a very fair Free to Play model and this shouldn't impact anybody who chooses not to go "premium"

In closing I think this is a great way for more people to contribute to League of Legends, I would like to know your thoughts on a subscriber program and what should / shouldn't be included

(If this is in the wrong forum tell me and I will post it somewhere else)

Thomiroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2012

Well, in all honesty, I'm not really sure it's a good idea. I can understand where you're coming from, but one of the reasons I've spent so much money on RP, and will likely continue to do so, is because LoL is a free to play game. Your second point kind of hit the nail on the head, though not precisely.

I buy RP to get pretty skins for my champs, yes, but I'm happy to do so because it helps to support a game that is actively not asking me for money. There are even champion and skin sales that, should I be short of cash, I can have a look at. If a subscription service was introduced, it would feel like Riot actively asking me for money.

Now, one thing I would ask, if said subscription service was up, would the champion/skin discounts be on top of any sales in place? (I daresay they wouldn't have champs that are already on sale in the flash sales, but it could happen)

I like the idea of contributing more to the game, because that helps to bring out more content and keep the servers up, but I prefer the current model, as do all of the people I play with. Most of them have spent a great deal of money on LoL as well, so, as a model, it seems to work when it comes to enticing people to spend.

Hazza2828

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomiroth View Post
Well, in all honesty, I'm not really sure it's a good idea. I can understand where you're coming from, but one of the reasons I've spent so much money on RP, and will likely continue to do so, is because LoL is a free to play game. Your second point kind of hit the nail on the head, though not precisely.

I buy RP to get pretty skins for my champs, yes, but I'm happy to do so because it helps to support a game that is actively not asking me for money. There are even champion and skin sales that, should I be short of cash, I can have a look at. If a subscription service was introduced, it would feel like Riot actively asking me for money.

Now, one thing I would ask, if said subscription service was up, would the champion/skin discounts be on top of any sales in place? (I daresay they wouldn't have champs that are already on sale in the flash sales, but it could happen)

I like the idea of contributing more to the game, because that helps to bring out more content and keep the servers up, but I prefer the current model, as do all of the people I play with. Most of them have spent a great deal of money on LoL as well, so, as a model, it seems to work when it comes to enticing people to spend.
I can see where you're coming from. But the point of this is trying to make it not feel mandatory. It should be something you get because you want to support Riot rather than because you feel you have to to get the full experience of LoL. With League's current F2P model the only thing you can't buy through IP is skins, and this doesn't change that, it just allows people who spend a lot of money on league already to be benefited for their large purchases. (You could say Riot already encourages this with their "bonus RP" if you buy the larger RP bundles)

I understand your point of "One of the reasons I spend the most is because it's a free to play game." and I will agree, Lol is a game which is meant to be free and yet I have spent the most money on it out of all my games. It's these people like you and me this should benefit the most!

A final point and one which is more buisness centred is that I personally and many others I know are irregular with their RP purchases, I might feel I really want Diana but am saving up IP for runes and therefore buy RP, or I might say I want the new Cho'gath skin and buy that! This would just make that into a more regular system of payments, where you are rewarded for constant purchases by good deals. (I'm sure the amount of people buying RP anyway is pretty much constant for Riot until Champions are released so maybe this point is less important.)

As for the flash sales that was the idea I was least certain on, and it would really come down to how Riot would implement it but I’m sure considering their work it would be fair.

Thanks for your imput!