Save Finales Funkeln

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dravoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

28-07-2012

BREAKING NEWS

RIOT BACKED DOWN! Riot have admitted their mistake and offered us a compromise. It's not what we wanted but it's better than ignoring us entirely. I strongly encourage people to vote in favour of Final Spark instead of Infinite Light.

I am aware that I said some very harsh things about Riot and I am extremely pleased to say that Riot have decided they don't want to be that company and do still value their customers! I've never been more pleased to be proved wrong about something.

Thanks, Riot Games, for restoring my faith in you!

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=797845 - Go vote now!

What's below here? Below here is old stuff that you don't want to read anymore!

Riot have cowardly pushed the change through - they even removed it from the patch notes to avoid the negative backlash - on the NA platform. As it appears we've lost the battle, I'll be leaving this thread and issuing my statement.

Riot have disregarded the overwhelming negative feedback from the community and have chosen to arrogantly make their unpopular change with their "Riot knows what's good for you" attitude. Personally, I am disgusted with Riot games and frankly, this change has really made me question A. How much our feedback is valued, despite their insistance and B. Whether they really care about anything other than getting our money. This change, as Riot have stated in not as many words, is entirely about lowest common denominator and you should be insulted that Riot thinks you are too stupid to handle the ability name.

Thanks for all the support and attention, I will not be updating this thread any further as Riot have made it very clear that our Feedback is no longer welcome in their game or their forum. It's been fun, guys - I encourage people to continue to protest and complain. The next time a stupid change like this is proposed, I might start another protest thread - who knows?

Riot, if you ever feel like being who you used to be, let me know

The following is what Petkorazzi on the NA forums had to say on the subject - I echo his sentiments and strongly encourage Riot to apologise for their mistake and work with us, not agianst us.

Quote:
So, after waking up this morning I see that Riot has decided to go through with the "Infinite Light" name change for Finales Funkeln. Needless to say I'm disappointed...those following know that I've worked pretty hard both here and on the EU forums to try to convince Riot not to do so.

The way this was done shows some pretty disturbing insight into how Riot has decided to handle the community. I think that's something even non-Finales Funkeln supporters can agree on. Sure, this time around it's a relatively insignificant change (just a little bit of flavor text)...but what precedent does this set in the future, when it's something serious?

1. Riot doesn't care what you think.
Riot claims that they "want community feedback" and that they "listen", but actions speak louder than words. The EU Save Finales Funkeln thread is one of the top 10 biggest threads ever created on the EU west forum. The NA poll and the Petition have thousands of votes in favor of the old name. Not to mention the countless other threads in support of Finales Funkeln.

2. Riot isn't interested in communicating with you.
The only responses to this entire controversy have been on the EU west forum, and they were "unofficial" (in other words, a red was simply trying to relay what information he was aware of from other behind-the-scenes people). The only real "official" response was made on the German forum. Nothing has ever been said here. Apparently the 5,000+ votes in favor of the old name here are not worthy of a response to the issue. Do they simply feel that if they remain quiet, we'll just "go away"?

3. Riot are hypocrites.
Let's even forget that the German client contains an English-language ability name for a second. Here's a list of 57 other "inside joke" references in the game that you're not changing. Logic flawed much?

4. Riot knows they made a mistake, and cowardly tried to hide it.
Many of us last night held hope that Riot had listened to us, because the name change was no longer in the patch notes. Instead, Lux was just mentioned in a number of "tooltip changes" being made, along with several other champions. They tried to sneak this change in under our notice. They went out of their way to change the PBE patch notes to do this. They know we didn't want this change, and the only logical reason I can discern for this is that they wanted to try to hide it.

You know where us online gamers have seen this kind of attitude before? Blizzard. Have you forgotten where you came from? Why are you acting like InsensitiveGamerMegaCorp instead of remembering the roots this game had as basically a fan-created mod? You act as if you're just shrugging off the very fan community that led to you having a company to begin with under the logic that "well, it's not going to cost us any money in the long run."

Riot, don't be this guy. It's not too late to finally come out and talk to us, own up to your mistake, and change it back. Regain the confidence you're losing in this community.

I am disappoint, and literally thousands of other fans are as well. Time to fix it.

This is the original (Now discarded) post

Save Finales Funkeln Stream is ONLINE - http://www.twitch.tv/jimblarny/ - Me and FecklessRogue making fools of ourselves as Garen and Lux and generally failing. Come and watch us suck in the name of saving Finales Funkeln!

Join us on August the first for the first day of the official Save Finales Funkeln campaign!

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?p=8238358 - This thread is just for fun, try and keep it light, folks!

Riot's response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir View Post
Hey Guys,

I've got some more information to share with you after talking this over with our guys. In a vacuum, this change seems confusing and perhaps alarming – “why the f*** does Riot care about the name of one random ability?”

Let’s shed some light on that.

League of Legends is an evolving service – it’s not a finished product. It’s never going to be ‘done.’ This constant evolution means we also need to revisit older content on an ongoing basis – take the Ashe visual remake, for example.

The creative design team is in the midst of making some quality of life improvements to the story and characters of League of Legends. With over a hundred champions, the various factions they belong to, and plenty of other backstory to dive into, this is actually a pretty massive undertaking. More on that in the future, but for now, please understand this small change is in the context of a bigger project.

If we were making Lux today, we’d never her ult ‘Finales Funkeln’ today. Here’s why:

It’s an incomprehensible in-joke that’s an obscure reference.
It’s a tip of the hat to another character’s ability from another game that’s been translated into German. This is unintelligible to most people, because they don’t get the joke. This is not pandering to the lowest common denominator – we’re talking about the vast majority of our players around the world here.

It’s hard to pronounce.
No, not just because it’s German. Once again, this isn’t about the lowest common denominator.

It doesn’t even come close to conveying what the ability does.
And Infinite Light does. Yeah, yeah, it’s not a global ability, but it's a pretty big ******* laser. A little hyperbole is just fine by us. We considered translating the name directly from German to English as “Final Spark,” but felt reference to electricity didn’t feel like Lux.

Is ‘Finales Funkeln’ original? Sure. But that doesn’t make it good for every player. This isn’t coming from a place of xenophobia. It’s a combination of the above problems that contribute to making the original name clunky and confusing.

We’re not going to change Udyr’s name just because it means “beast” in Norwegian. Udyr is four letters, fairly pronounceable in many languages, and the reference isn’t made at the expense of the majority of our players.

We know you guys care about lore in League of Legends, and that’s awesome. Don’t stop telling us what you think. Jayce was a great example of where we slipped up, and your feedback straight up made the game better. This situation is different: the name of Lux’s ultimate was something that we needed to change for the sake of readability and overall player experience and we feel the new name is appropriate.
Now, as far as I can tell, this is Riot saying "Thanks for the feedback but we know better."

This is not good enough! Keep posting and bumping this thread - let's show Riot that they don't know what we want better than we do!

Also, please, show some respect to Ymir - he's the only Rioter who's had the balls to post here, don't be disrespectful to him, he's tried really hard to work with us! A big cheer for Ymir, please, everyone! The people you should be angry with are the Riot staff who made this decision and yet don't believe in it strongly enough to face the music and post here to tell us themselves!

Here's why Riot's reasons are a logical fallacy!

Quote:
It’s an incomprehensible in-joke that’s an obscure reference.
It’s a tip of the hat to another character’s ability from another game that’s been translated into German. This is unintelligible to most people, because they don’t get the joke. This is not pandering to the lowest common denominator – we’re talking about the vast majority of our players around the world here.
Almost everything in this game is a reference to something else from another IP, some of which borders on plagiarism. Are you going to fundamentally change all of these things and remove all of these references? I highly doubt it - there'd be nothing left of the game as it is now!

Quote:
It’s hard to pronounce.
No, not just because it’s German. Once again, this isn’t about the lowest common denominator.
There are lots of other abilities, champion names and items in this game that are equally hard to pronounce, are you going to change those too? Also, saying "This isn't about the lowest common denominator" does not make it not about the lowest common denominator. If it isn't about lowest common denominator, prove it, otherwise, I'm afraid simply denying it does not change our suspicions.

Quote:
It doesn’t even come close to conveying what the ability does.
And Infinite Light does. Yeah, yeah, it’s not a global ability, but it's a pretty big ******* laser. A little hyperbole is just fine by us. We considered translating the name directly from German to English as “Final Spark,” but felt reference to electricity didn’t feel like Lux.
No one in this or any other thread that I have seen have supported the rename. If Riot really, desperately want to change the name, why change it to something that they know the majority of the playerbase hates? The name change is almost universally unpopular but the specific name selected is unpopular, even with people who support the change. If Riot still changes the name to Infinite Spark, they are consciously defying and spitting in the face of the community! This is not acceptable.

Keep fighting, people! Do not accept Riot's weak, cop-out of an excuse! If they still change the name to Infinite Spark after this thread, they are actively choosing to make the game less enjoyable to a majority of their playerbase. This has become about more than just an ability name being changed to something we dislike - Riot has now made this personal!

The original post:

We got some red posts - if anyone wants to view them, press the "First Riot Post" button and cycle through them. I'm posting my reply to Ymir here in case no one wants to rummage around to find it

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Ymir, it's nice to have some Riot representative here to maybe explain things to us a little bit and in response to what you've said, I'll say the following:

This thread proves that, regardless of the difficulty some people are faced with pronouncing the ability name, a lot of people do not want it changed. If Riot's reasons for changing the name are purely based on the ease it has to be said, this should be an issue the community is consulted about. We just want to know why it's being changed and to make sure Riot understands how many people do not want the name changed.

Also, I appreciate that you might feel attacked - I, at least, don't want it to feel like it's "Riot vs The Community" as so often these threads end up being (Though, I can't speak for everyone - sorry you got downvoted so heavily, I think people are just keen to get Riot's attention and express their dissatisfaction) - but we really want to work with Riot on this issue to try and come to some sort of understanding about the name change as to why Riot are proposing it and maybe convince them that it's an unpopular idea. Perhaps Riot proposed this without realising the reaction? I have considered this and hence, I'm trying to work with Riot (If you read my posts, I have tried my best to be positive about Riot rather than negative) here, not against them!

In regards to the xenophobic issue, whilst it may not be Riot's intent, you have to understand how it appears from our perspective - there are not many foreign sounding names in the game and now one is being changed. Whether intentional or not, we Europeans already feel very alienated by Riot due to the fact that our forums get very little attention, we don't get as much free stuff, we get patches later and we've had a lot of very intense game-breaking server issues that resulted in our community being split in two. You must understand that this is just another thing that makes our community feel slightly ignored and we want Riot to know that. Deliberate or not, this is how we feel about Riot's proposed change.

Keep upvoting and posting your support and opinions, folks! Let's make sure Riot knows how we feel - if they won't keep the name, let's at least find out why they want to change it!

So, for those of you who don't know, Riot is planning on changing the best named ability in game (It's currently on the PBE) - Finales Funkeln (Which, for those not in the know, is Lux's ultimate) - in the next patch. Rather than keep it's funny, tongue-in-cheek name, Riot has decided to call it "Infinite Light" - the most generic, clichť name it could possibly have. To clarify: It hasn't actually been changed yet. It's a planned change and is on the public beta - Riot have made no official statement announcing or explaining the change.

Personally, I think this sucks - I love Finales Funkeln and that awesomely named laz0r is the only reason I ever bother to play Lux. Don't change that awesome ability! Stand with me, brothers, and fight Riot's decision to change the name of the best spell in the game! This thread isn't about QQing over patch notes and balance issues or anything else - it's about sharing the love for an awesome ability with a kick ass name!

If this is a copyright issue with Touhou, I want Riot to comment on this. I don't believe this is a copyright issue with Touhou - you can't claim ownership of words - but if it is, I don't see why the community wasn't consulted at the very least.

Post your support below and let's try and attract someone's attention and stop this change!

(Originally, there were some quotes here but the post has now become far too long so for the sake of the eyes of any newcomers, I've had to remove them)

Xenophobic issue?
Am I alone in feeling, as a European, that this change is possibly related to the fact that Americans supposedly have difficulty with foreign-sounding words? I would like this not to be true but personally, I can't see any other reason for the change outside of the supposition of Americans not liking the German word. I'm a European (Though, not German) and I like that there's something European like this in the game, especially considering the large number of German subscribers. I feel this change is perhaps xenophobic and massively underestimates the intelligence of Riot's playerbase (Both in Europe and North America) - Riot should either explain this decision or reverse it because I can't help but feel there's a potentially racist undertone to it. Regardless of whether this is true or not, we Europeans certainly feel quite insulted by this change and I think Riot should not ignore that.

A lot of people are accusing me of attacking the NA playerbase so I want to clarify something: I think that Riot thinks that Americans (And other nationalities too, I'm sure) can't handle the German word - I do not agree with them and the number of threads similar to this one on the US forums agree with me. I am accusing Riot of changing this because they underestimate their audience, I do not think that Americans are in any way stupid and, due to some comments I have seen about this thread, feel the need to clarify this! If my comments have offended anyone, anywhere, I apologise sincerely and hope this clarification goes some way to explaining what was actually meant!

Update: As an addition, I've editted my post somewhat to try and make this point more clear because I am more than happy to admit that it wasn't totally clear!

H4ckJack

28-07-2012

I don't even play Lux but even I see how much cooler that name is compared to "Infinite Light" :\

Al√°n Shore

28-07-2012

Where did you get this information? Doesn't sound plausible at all.
edit: alright, I see this info is from the PBE and I agree that the name change is not good at all.

Dravoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

28-07-2012

The information comes from PBE - Editted my original post to add this information.

Urgot x BDSM

28-07-2012

Both names suck, IMA FIRING MA LAZ0R ftw

D√ľnkmaster

28-07-2012

>has limited range
>name it INFINITE light

riot logic strikes again

Donye

28-07-2012

Nooooo my finales fudunkle wunkle :C

Bierathlet

28-07-2012

Ofc it's awesome cuz it's german and why they want to delete one of their Dragonball Z references? It is the german name for Vegeta's trademark move.

Dravoth

28-07-2012

I just don't understand why they're changing it all, nor why they think Infinite Light is a better name.

Finales Funkeln is cool, Infinite Light is generic and could be literally any ability in the entire game. When I see Lux use her ultimate, I think "Holy ****ing ****! That's a Finales Funkeln!" I don't think "ZOMG look at that Infinite Light!"

Nikiosko

28-07-2012

Keep it like that. That name "Finales Funkeln" is awesome.