Best champions to buy for starting Ranked.

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maylorable

Junior Member

21-07-2012

So I'm about 1000xp away from level 30, and I'm looking to get into ranked as soon as I can. Now I don't have enough champions yet as I've focused on spending my IP on runes. The roles I play most are Jungle and Support, with my favourite champions in this being Alistar, Soraka, Sona, and sometimes Tryndamere.

Now I'm looking to bolster my champion choices so I can get into ranked, but I'm not really willing to purchase RP for the champion bundle. Which champions would be recommended? I'm looking for popular champions that don't all cost 6300 IP, as this will take a very long time to farm.

Any suggestions would be great.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

y3nda

Member

21-07-2012

Well I wouldn't recommend you to start ranked as soon as you reach 30 unless you want to dive deep into elo hell. Play a few hundred games of draft pick first, so you can master a few champs for each roles and get use to the meta. Keep in mind tjat if you wabt to win more elo than you lose you have to be above the average player and since you start at 1200 you'll meet some players with quite a good lvl already and considering the amount of trolls, afk and beginners it's pretty risky too
go in so soon if you cant carry hard.
Anyway as strong junglers i would recommend malphite lee sin or mumu. Lee sin allows you to win games fast but fall off late game, mumu and malph are strong tanks with crazy damage. Most of the time I deal more damage than my carries with them


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MaxiBeça

Senior Member

21-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holashnikov View Post
So I'm about 1000xp away from level 30, and I'm looking to get into ranked as soon as I can.
Really big mistake.

Wait until you have 2/3 complete runepages, and 3/4 champs you can play decently for every role.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maylorable

Junior Member

23-07-2012

I have like 195 wins and 130 losses in Summoner's Rift, which is pretty much all I play. So far as Runes go, I have 6 level 3 quints, 9 level 3 glyphs, 18 level 3 marks and 18 level 3 seals. I spent the RP gift we got last Christmas all on IP boosts which may explain why I have quite a lot for my level lol. Maybe I should have spent more on champs. Is 195 not enough experience? I am a pretty fast learner lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by y3nda View Post
as strong junglers i would recommend malphite lee sin or mumu. Lee sin allows you to win games fast but fall off late game, mumu and malph are strong tanks with crazy damage. Most of the time I deal more damage than my carries with them
Ty for this, I see Lee Sin and Malph quite a lot in the spectator mode thingy now you mention it, one of those will be the next I buy, whichever is cheaper lol.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

owner of lol

Senior Member

24-07-2012

195 is NOT enough experience. go atleast 300 games there. some draft pick and streams does help some players. also, I suggest you can play all roles and have 3 champions for all of the roles.

a few champions per role are:
top: jax, yorick, lee sin, malphite
mid: ahri, morde, karthus, kennen
carry: vayne, graves, tristana, urgot
support: blitz, taric, leona, ali
jungle: lee sin, malphite, amumu

these are just my favorite champions to play in these roles. but surely, GET MORE EXPERIENCE. i made that mistake a year ago, and still stuck there after 100 games. still below 1000 ELO because of feeders, trollers, and just real noob players


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mugshot

Senior Member

24-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by owner of lol View Post
195 is NOT enough experience. go atleast 300 games there. some draft pick and streams does help some players. also, I suggest you can play all roles and have 3 champions for all of the roles.
basicly what he said in the first line. get more wins in normal/draft pick. learn to counter pick, learn to farm etc etc.

anyway, to answer your question:

its not the champion you need to buy, its the experience you need to gain. Ranked games are filled with feeders trolls etc etc. if you enter right after you ding 30, you will fall down hard... (as has been said above) `
so for buying a champion I can only recommend that you start farming that IP in normal games ofc. then buy all the champions you might like to play (you can ask yourself this: Does his/her kit interrest me enough to buy him/her??). once you find out what champions you are good at you can start doing a ranked games every now and then. dont just dive straight into it, just take a quick peek and then leave it. dont test your luck of you win 1.
That is all I can say, hope it helped..


- Gum


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nornamor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

24-07-2012

If you rush ranked play.... you are going to have a bad time :P
Ill post a checklist your really should look at before you start ranked.. even though its more of a guide to get out of elo hell ^^ But here I have the answer to your question about what other champs you should pick up (that it seems you don't have alredy):

@ Free: You can get Tristana witch can be played properly as AD or AP for free if you follow League of Legends on Facebook !!! This is a must have :P Dont ever waste IP/RP on her :P
@ 450IP Ashe and Sivir are good AD carries, while Sion is a fine AP carrie..
@ 1350IP Amumu is one of the eiseist jungle tanks in the game, while still very effective, Mundo is a fine jungler (Requires a full runepage specially for him though )
Janna is one of the best supports, Malphite is good jungle and top laner, Morgana is just GODLIKE in ranked so if she is not banned she is a "must-pick", Singed is a great top-laner.

@3150IP Warwick, Olaf, Gangplank and Udyr, all of them really strong junglers and top laners. Anivia, Karthus, Gragas, Kassadin and Mordekaiser are good APs. Corki is a fine AD.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nornamor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

24-07-2012

Here are general tips for Ranked:

1. Motorical champion skill - Try to narrow down the amount of champions you main... 3-7 is sufficient for solo que, depending on how likely the are to get picked/banned. Learn proper builds for these champions.. I recommend the futured and approved guides on http://www.solomid.net/guides.php . Make sure you have at least 40 games with each of these champions and about 80 games with the roles you play (like say, AP mid). Ideally you should be able to fit all roles, but in general focusing on 2-4 is more than enough... Just make sure one of them is support and another is jungle. Make sure that your team gets to know what roles you play in champion select, try to communicate even though some people decide to troll or be dicks alredy there.

2. Lasthitting - In order to get an advantage in a game you have to farm better than your average opponent with the solo laners or ad bot... a good milestone is to practice in custom games without any opponents at all and see if you can hit 80 lasthits within 10min with the champions you main. This shouldnt be so hard, still a lot of ppl i know, below 1500 elo, struggle with this. Know this: 15 minion kills is about a champion kill in gold and xp.

3. Laning - Learn the matchups for your champions and how you think they should be played... For instance if you play Nasus vs. Garen you know that all you need to do in that lane is to stay in lane and not get denied, while for instance playing Talon vs. Kassadin requires you to be agressive and kill/force your opponent out of lane.

4. Map awareness - Buy wards, they are basically a cheap 3min vision hack, don't rely on your jungle and support to do this (most junglers are just bad and never do this, while once in a while there are supports that dont do it either). Watch the minimap to get a general idea of what is happening and get control over team objectives and other lanes than your own to reveal strengths/weaknesses that you may use to gank or take map objectives.

5. Leadership/End game - Get a good understanding of tactics that can help you actually win the game and when to use them, try to communicate this to your team.... Force/Sneak Dragon/Baron, split-push, heal/poke.

6. Hardware/Internet - You have to understand this is a highly competitive game and there will be ppl better and worse than you so chances are you are going to loose some games no matter what, but if you are good the amount of losses should be less than wins... A bad internet connection or FPS lag can actually diminish this equitation and make it way harder to gain elo, just because some games are lost because of this.

7. Your general Health - This is actually no joke, but enough sleep while being healthy does improve your general performance in games. Don't play ranked when you are already angry or tired, because chances are you are just going to flame instead of playing at your best.

8. Good manner - Don't flame your team to much as nothing good comes of it and don't surrender to easy.. In fact I have won a couple games where my team lost all the 3 outer towers, 1-3 dragons and in general feeding the enemy team, by simply playing defensive and letting the enemies throw the game away. In about 2000 games i have also experienced 3 or 4 games where I have won 4v5, while its rare it still does happen.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

longteeth

Senior Member

25-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nornamor View Post
Here are general tips for Ranked:

1. Motorical champion skill - Try to narrow down the amount of champions you main... 3-7 is sufficient for solo que, depending on how likely the are to get picked/banned. Learn proper builds for these champions.. I recommend the futured and approved guides on http://www.solomid.net/guides.php . Make sure you have at least 40 games with each of these champions and about 80 games with the roles you play (like say, AP mid). Ideally you should be able to fit all roles, but in general focusing on 2-4 is more than enough... Just make sure one of them is support and another is jungle. Make sure that your team gets to know what roles you play in champion select, try to communicate even though some people decide to troll or be dicks alredy there.

2. Lasthitting - In order to get an advantage in a game you have to farm better than your average opponent with the solo laners or ad bot... a good milestone is to practice in custom games without any opponents at all and see if you can hit 80 lasthits within 10min with the champions you main. This shouldnt be so hard, still a lot of ppl i know, below 1500 elo, struggle with this. Know this: 15 minion kills is about a champion kill in gold and xp.

3. Laning - Learn the matchups for your champions and how you think they should be played... For instance if you play Nasus vs. Garen you know that all you need to do in that lane is to stay in lane and not get denied, while for instance playing Talon vs. Kassadin requires you to be agressive and kill/force your opponent out of lane.

4. Map awareness - Buy wards, they are basically a cheap 3min vision hack, don't rely on your jungle and support to do this (most junglers are just bad and never do this, while once in a while there are supports that dont do it either). Watch the minimap to get a general idea of what is happening and get control over team objectives and other lanes than your own to reveal strengths/weaknesses that you may use to gank or take map objectives.

5. Leadership/End game - Get a good understanding of tactics that can help you actually win the game and when to use them, try to communicate this to your team.... Force/Sneak Dragon/Baron, split-push, heal/poke.

6. Hardware/Internet - You have to understand this is a highly competitive game and there will be ppl better and worse than you so chances are you are going to loose some games no matter what, but if you are good the amount of losses should be less than wins... A bad internet connection or FPS lag can actually diminish this equitation and make it way harder to gain elo, just because some games are lost because of this.

7. Your general Health - This is actually no joke, but enough sleep while being healthy does improve your general performance in games. Don't play ranked when you are already angry or tired, because chances are you are just going to flame instead of playing at your best.

8. Good manner - Don't flame your team to much as nothing good comes of it and don't surrender to easy.. In fact I have won a couple games where my team lost all the 3 outer towers, 1-3 dragons and in general feeding the enemy team, by simply playing defensive and letting the enemies throw the game away. In about 2000 games i have also experienced 3 or 4 games where I have won 4v5, while its rare it still does happen.
This should be put as sticky for all the people who want to do ranked

The bad trick is that they need to read the forum to learn it.

And yes i agree the point 7 is not a joke it s a rules of everything in your life and playing competitive games or doing competitive sport too. If you are tired you ll just doo some **** and throw a game that could be win.

There is always a troll in ranked below 1500 elo dont expect too much teamplay from your team because in elo hell you ll need to carry your team and to be better than if you are playing in normal draft with a win ratio of 60%. Because the others dont know how you play or will not make the try to understand it.

All these players gave you good informations to avoid a hard crash in the elo hell where i am actually.

The first step to learn wisdom is to accept you know nothing

Have a good learn


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ostrados

Junior Member

24-10-2012

Best ranked champ in my opinion is WUKONG, for these reasons i chose wukong:
1- its awesome top laner, I defeated Darius, jayce, yorik all great top laners.
2- amazing team member for gangs.. literally amazing, I through my self in gang with E then press W and u will c all the enemies wasting there ultis on my shadow then me and my team just rush on them and crush them.
3- His ulty is just perfect.. in gangs its very useful.
4- can run easy from anyone just take ghost spell and whenever u r chased use w then ghost.. and WAALLAA u r away from any danger.
5- can be a great ad and a tank at the same time.. just use magic resist and armor runes + buy warmog in game, add to that Implars to transform HP to damage.. and u become invincible.
dude i played 10 ranked games in a row with Wukong, and literally i won 8 out 10.. and even my worst games i made 10 kills at least.. try it and u wont regret it


123