Havoc - why do players use it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SillyLily

18-07-2012

It's useless early game as you don't do enough damage to make that 1.5% make any difference and it's useless late game for the same reason.

Lets do the maths
Your attack (be it a spell or AA) does precisely 100 damage without Havoc. With havoc's 1.5% you would deal 101.5 damage, whoa, scary, a bonus of 1.5 damage.

What about 250 damage? Surely it would deal something worthwhile...
Nope! If you deal precisely 250 damage, Havoc would grant you and extra 3.75 damage. I'm starting to quake in my boots here fellow LoL players, so much extra damage.

Lets get silly, it's early in the morning, I haven't had a cup of tea yet, I feel silly. Lets says you deal precisely 1000 damage, surely Havoc must now deal a reasonable amount of damage.
Lol, nope. If you deal 1000 damage, Havoc adds precisely 15 extra damage to your damage. when you are hitting for 1000 damage, you really aren't going to notice an extra 15 and by the time you get to that point in a game it won't matter either way.

Now lets look at where it would be better to put those 3 points. You could put them into the AP instead, but then AP mids who get Havoc end up stacking AP anyway, a bonus 3 AP is just as pointless. So, put 2 points into butcher for easy-peasy last hitting minions, your early game gets a boost, makes it easier to snowball and thus is actually of worth to you, even if you are the best pro lasthitter ever, an extra 4 damage to minions from the very beginning just makes your game a little simpler and who doesn't want their game to be easier? For Havoc to deal that same extra 4 damage to minions, you would have to be dealing 275 damage per hit. By the time you are doing that, you can nuke a whole line of minions with 1 or 2 spells.

This leaves 1 point left over, so what else are AP mids bad at doing by themselves? Knocking down towers. Stick that last point in Demolitionist and you instantly do an extra 10 damage to turrents, which doesn't seem like much, but it's an extra 100 damage per 10 hits, by the time 3 points in Havoc deals an extra 10 damage you're running about in a group and don't need it.

Am I missing something that basic maths doesn't show? So yes, after that long wall of (nicely formatted) text, I tie this nicely into the original question, why, if it does so little extra damage, do players/guides/pros recommend Havoc?

YamatoHD

18-07-2012

I dont use it, i take +4 dmg to minions from autoattack instead
it is worthless

Azeirah

18-07-2012

Nope, there's been a lot of criticism on how bad this mastery is.
I usually take it for my ap carries, because hey..
I think I'll consider putting the points into easier lasthitting from now on.

tjallebong

18-07-2012

Don't you just hate lategame when your enemy escapes with less than 50 hp? Always happens a few times during a game and if you don't have this mastery, it could easily solve the problem.. Get that point instead of spamming "LUCKY *******" etc in /all chat..

You Are Lovely

18-07-2012

50hp? Try 1hp. Had to buy a new mouse

Freek2

18-07-2012

I don`t ever use it. But at a small fight on the lane when my opponent leaves with 2 hp, i`m thinking about taking it next match. And still i put those points in other things.

Sut3kh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-07-2012

Is Brute Force, Alacrity or Lethality that much better?
I guess the point is only to give you a small boost, if you think about it, even 5% damage could quickly become OP.

sirDarts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-07-2012

I only use it on AP champs, since there is nowhere else to put the 3 points to get to higher brackets. Although getting 2 points in Butcher doesn't sound bad.

Edum Bot

18-07-2012

I rather put these 3 points in Brute Force.

FatalException

18-07-2012

I actually go with brute force and butcher on aps. those 4 Ap don't cut it in terms of damage, while easier farming early on will make a difference.