A high resolution monitor gives you a unfair advantage

1234511 ... 25
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

14-06-2012

No one belived me, so i made a video and changed my setup to demonstrate how unfair it can be .
Please, donīt spam my skype account. This video is a recording so jump to (0:45)
http://sv.twitch.tv/dxdriger/b/321425058

For those who do not understand my point, my point is that the Field of View(FoV) changes depending on resolution.
There are people out there who can increase the resolution further and keep their eyes on the lane instead of their minimap to avoid ganks.
A more extreme clip here, watch (0:20-0:40) and (1:00-1:20) , you can still get a higher resolution.

Vote here for a possible solution: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=732470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrtonius View Post
I wish we could zoom out more. When i'm playing in mid and i'm on the purple team the champion on the other side has a better view of the lane due to the fact that the UI is on the bottom of the screen, which is where my enemy is. If i'm against a long ranged champion like Ziggs then they can hit me from off screen where i can't even see them, let alone dodge or try to attack back, because they see me before i see them.

I've even met players who have exploited this exact problem to beat me, by always staying on the absolute bottom of the lane to ensure i can't see them. Against Veigar he just stays off the screen near the bushes at the bottom and if i leave my turret i'm instantly hit with his stun and then i'm screwed.

The only way i can imagine a problem like that getting fixed is by allowing us to zoom out more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig09 View Post
It is an unnecessary disadvantage to those playing at lower resolutions, one that can be fixed. Yeah you can move the camera and look at the mini map, which is usually done anyway. But the fact of the matter is playing on a lower resolution should not put you at a disadvantage because you are zoomed in more. In a competitive environment it should be even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomgar View Post
Instead of the fixed view they could implement a better zooming system. I would love a zoom similar to the one in supreme commander.
For those who don't know the game it's possible to zoom out so far you can see the entire map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon View Post
If fov doesnīt mather as much as some say, then allow people to increase it.
A improved zoom that allow you to zoom out more will give everyone the chance and ability to have the same conditions for their field of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoureFunny View Post
There are Zoom Hacks in lol u know, so its not like youre making something new.
They ban people for zoom hack , this is a high resolution without any modifications/tweaks/hacks/cheats to the client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DxDriger View Post
He is asking riot to prevent these huge diffrences in field of view that can be easly made.
Try changing a bit in the game.cfg and run in borderless window mode, even i can get 25-50% extra field of view on a single monitor by using costum aspect ratios.
http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012...k-und-desktop/
This german article is showing that the resolutions will increase a lot in the near years ,making this a bigger issue.
I attached the picture from that site so you can compare the numbers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadmap.jpg
Views:	5480
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	88912  

WTF Alien

14-06-2012

Start playing a game so we can see the difference.

Kaemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

14-06-2012

Quote:
Runing a high resolution in a competitive fps game like counter-strike ment that you had to sacriface your precious refresh-rate .
Every old crt monitor would do a 100hz if you had a low resolution .
The new lcd monitors who can reach the same amount suffers from a higher delay and ghosting.
I have a viewsonic 120hz 22 vx2265wm who performs worse in fps games then my old crt.

A higher refresh-rate means nothing in a rts, due to the viewing angle and the fact that more vision is more important then a 3-20ms faster mouseclick.
For example you can set a target for sions stun when he is out of range, just to have him walk into range and throw it asap.
In counter strike, reflexes and accuracy were your biggest concern, in rts itīs vision and positioning.
For competitive cs, a old crt monitor that you found on the junkyard would do the trick.
In league you will have to have a expensive setup to reach a higher field of view.
Quote:
http://sv.twitch.tv/dxdriger/b/321461576
I think i just made the most absurd one so far, i took my two 16inch monitors.
I put them next to eachother and used eyefinity, a total of 32inch(81~cm) on my desk.
That includs screen borders on the edges so the viewable field that require my focus is about 31inch.
My hd ready i1080p(32inch) Tv has a viewable field of 27.5inch, a diffrence about 11cm.
I can remove about 1-2cm further if i put one monitor slightly behind the other to hide the edge.

The result is 3960x1050, it looks wierd in the video but itīs playable and i would play with it if i get a riot respond saying that itīs fine to use and stream.
It does not look as wierd in real life, imagen yourself playing on your 30?inch tv , including the black borders as a part of your screen.
I canīt wait until the new monitors with a higher resolution comes out.
I can tweak my drivers to force that resolution on a single monitor and then make the height stretch to achieve fullscreen.
I would get the same field of view as the video but on a single monitor.

WTF Alien

14-06-2012

Facepalm, sorry.

Liascm

14-06-2012

True dat. But both resolutions are retarded and not 16:9(which most people play on)

evilmanc

14-06-2012

i have noticed a massive difference since i upgraded my monitor and went 1920x1080

however i played alot for my screen so i could have this vision.

i dont really see it as much of a problem tho. i played on my old square screen for 2 years

WTF Alien

14-06-2012

I've noticed this before. When playing on my PC with 1680*1050 my screen is WAY, WAY larger than when I'm playing on my TV (which is way larger but has a 1280*1024 resolution). Its kinda ridicilous actually, it zooms in like hell when making the resolution smaller.

LeBron

14-06-2012

Can see a gank coming from screen away. Lower resolution gives like 1/2 of that vision.

Cardiac Arrest

14-06-2012

They should let everyone zoom out that much, or simply not allow higher res people to have so much vision. Should be the same for everyone.

SANEakaIN

14-06-2012

So... what would you propose as a solution ?

Force all to a 800x600 res ?

There are all sorts of uneven factors in most MP PvP games, pings, FOV, FPS, Mouse latency ... and yes varying screen resolutions.

Riot cannot setup a resolution that is fair to all without compromising some of its player base, and considering LoL is not exactly Crysis class in demanding terms, its not a bad compromise... you can still play the game, just need to adjust to the circumstances.

1234511 ... 25