Is Irelia still a viable choice for top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CloseToTheEdge

31-05-2012

Hi there

I am wondering whether I should purchase Irelia for top. I own Olaf, Ryze, Kennen, Gankplan, Warwick and Udyr already. My question is, is Irelia still viable after all these nerfs? Or are the other champions I called, a better choice now.

Juke Swagger

31-05-2012

Better nerf irelia

She has a hard time early game, but still the faceroll she used to be in lategame

The Berry

31-05-2012

if u get a bad early game u will pretty much be dominated in lane..however if u get a good early u will faceroll the lane...just remember. her scaleings where not nerft..only her sustain

Zeropathic

31-05-2012

Her stat buff recently helped her a lot. I'd argue she's more difficult to lane with than some other champs (Yorick, Phoenixdyr, etc) though it may just be my playstyle. But she still stands strong.

Gorodecki

31-05-2012

Right now Irelia is perfectly balanced. Champions that have very aggressive or strong early game counter her, but if she manages to survive the lane then in late game she pretty much dominates everyone. The trick is to survive first 9 levels. After that nobody should be able to force you out of the lane unless with a help of a jungler.

oRABo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

31-05-2012

Watched a stream recently where Wickd was playing as Renekton vs Irelia top lane.

Wickd won the lane in terms of kills and CS, and as such was ahead of Irelia on items. He managed to get a brutalizer and bloodthirster pretty fast as well as 2x dorans blades with his boots.

Irelia on the other hand was lagging behind.

However, I couldn't help but laugh at one stage mid-late game where Irelia managed to get her Trinity Force. All of a sudden, despite Renekton's supposedly clear item advantage, Irelia was more than capable of going toe to toe with him, even killing him in their first dual post trin force (OK Ren's ult wad down, but still).

I think Irelia is still viable. I've seen many similar examples to the above, once she gets that trinity force she hits like a truck. She's actually made me furious in several games because she does so well for having so little. I credit it to her combination of life steal and true damage. It's a wicked combo that pushes many scenarios in her favour.

And if that's not annoying enough, let's just imagine she gets the upper hand in lane. She quickly snowballs out of control and becomes unstoppable.

More than viable.

RacistBarn1234

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

31-05-2012

I think other than back when she wasn't as "nerfed" as now she's more situational, but still a strongand viable pick, especially against Ashe. Tank ALL the ults

Brilliantly

31-05-2012

she's not viable anymore if u see her pick jax and it's gg

oRABo

31-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliantly View Post
she's not viable anymore if u see her pick jax and it's gg
There's a difference between being viable or not, and being counterpicked.

Jax is a counterpick to Irelia (like he is for many melee champs). Doesn't mean Irelia herself isn't viable.

That being said, I'd argue Renekton is also a counterpick to her. Still - get that Trinity Force...

I might add btw that Wickd's team won the stream I watched. My point was that Irelia does exceptionally well after picking up that one key item. Earlier she gets it, the more trouble you are in.

Kicksy

31-05-2012

Purchase her.

She is completely viable. Anyone who tells you otherwise is bad at her.