High Elo tops: Jax vs. Irelia matchup gone wrong.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sandcoat

21-05-2012

I go Jax vs. Irelia top, boots 4 pots, she opens boots as well. I win trades from level 1 to 4 and avoid a Maokai gank burning all their summoners. It all looked very promising and I was outcsing her too.

Then our mid / jungle invaded and Irelia went to help, she got 1 kill or 1 kill + assist and the lane snowballed out of control.

I came back to lane with Tabi while she had Mantle + Long Sword and she started winning trades by a little.
At some point I had Tabi + 2 Blades while she had Mercs + Phage.

We ****ed up a gank (we had Skarner) and I tried to fight her at some point but she survived with ~100 HP.
I was like 0/2/1 and I had to leave the lane and roam, I got a few assists this way but it wasn't enough.

Was Tabi a bad buy? Should I have come back to lane with a Doran's Blade?
Was 2 Blades bad? Should I have gone for Crystal into Phage?
Shoudl I have bought Scepter to sustain against her?

I felt like I played the trades decently enough (I dodged her W procs, etc.) but she had clearly the upper hand so something was wrong with my build or decisions. I should have just farmed back at tower but I felt like she could easily dive me so I felt like I had to commit.

I was running flat HP Quints, Armor Seals, MR/lvl glyphs (I'm kinda testing HP Quints against True Damage matchups). Would you say they're bad? 9/21/0 Masteries.

She was running AD Quints / Marks, Armor Seals, flat MR. Her Masteries were 21/8/1

Equivocal Pony

21-05-2012

She clearly was more offense oriented and had a more offensive stuff, it's quite logical that she was able to outtrade you.

I'd play jax 21/9 with ad quints, since his job is more to assassinate carries and since he's got free armor/mr from ult building offense, I'll build health anyway. Plus 76 HP is really few past the really first levels and if you are not to dive her at level 2 it generally ain't worth it. If you're really affraid of getting your health chunked out you might look forward to use HP regen quints, but they won't make you win trades and might even gimp you at some point. AD quints, on the other hand, scale throughout the game considering jax usually gets crit and auto attacks quite a bit.

I just think your setup wasn't up to the task and that the just outsmarted you on this. Especially considering that 21/X/X irelias usually are really squishy.

Aapee

21-05-2012

I don't think your items were bad. Hers were just better. Myself i tend to buy boots + phage + sheen (if you are well farmed you can get them all quite early) and then i start building gunblade.

TTC IvDiv

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

21-05-2012

What counters true damage? HP.

Get a phage + blades instead of getting Tabi, cause she will most likely rape your --- anyways even if you buy them.

Sandcoat

21-05-2012

Quote:
Ouch, you don't want to verse a Jax or Irelia that has an early advantage on you. At that point you farm at turret and wait for a gank for yourself, or bait the dive and kill under turret which I have done very often. Build as normal, though sometimes I build vampiric scepter a bit earlier to stay in lane longer.
2.2k Elo answer! (Thought it was worth sharing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapee View Post
I don't think your items were bad. Hers were just better. Myself i tend to buy boots + phage + sheen (if you are well farmed you can get them all quite early) and then i start building gunblade.
If you read the thread you'd know that in this particular situation Irelia had a 300+ gold advantage on me because she picked up a kill on our jungler / mid :P

I normally go cutlass into triforce or gunblade, in this case I would have probably gone Phage if I had the money