New to EUW, any major differences from NA?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blinkingsky

20-05-2012

^Title. I'm level 30 on NA, but I got a little bored so I made an account on EUW and prayed my ping was decent. To my surprise, it was only 170, which is easily manageable by me. Now I'm wondering if there's any major difference in the metagame over here compared to NA, and if there's any miscellanious things I need to know(like the frequency of languages that are not English).

Thanks!

zigomorfico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

20-05-2012

metagame its not that different, but the OP champs can change a bit. you'll notice it the bans of ranked games, its just not the same compared to NA.

you will get a lot of people not speaking english and speaking anything from french to portuguese to german to spanish for example.

Blinkingsky

20-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigomorfico View Post
metagame its not that different, but the OP champs can change a bit. you'll notice it the bans of ranked games, its just not the same compared to NA.

you will get a lot of people not speaking english and speaking anything from french to portuguese to german to spanish for example.
Hmm. Thanks for the info on the meta/OP champs(although I would like some examples of OP champs over here, if nobody minds)

Also, dang. I'll be honest when I say I don't know any language besides English with any proficiency at all, so I'm just wondering how much of a detriment that will be to playing with people over here on average. I would rather not burden my teammates with somebody that can't understand them.

KEJSi

20-05-2012

just keep everything you write short and understandable, most people in europe can read and understand english waaay better than speaking the language.

midnight illusio

20-05-2012

Like zigo said, the meta for europe and america is pretty much the same, even more so now that most NA teams are playing on EU as well as NA servers. However, you will find that NA is a little ahead of EU when it comes to meta and champ changes, since they get the patches 1 day earlier than we do. The only real difference between EU and NA these days is that NA still says "mia" whereas EU still says "ss".

Father Tunde

20-05-2012

In addition to ss, there are some differences here on EUW:

- People here don't say ' he sucks ****', they just say 'he sucks'.
- In ranked games between 1000 and 1300 elo you always refer to someone with their kill/death scores, for example: if you speak to a Nocturne with 7 deaths and no kills, you would say: 0-7 Nocturne never ganks. Unless of course they have positive scores, then you would address them with ks. For example: ks Akali thinks she's good.

- In any other game you always address someone with the prefix noob or tard, depending on which one you prefer.

As not everyone's native language here is English, in desperate times people might prefer to swear in their own language. In this scenario, the following actions should be taken depending on the language:

- If more than half their words end in o or a, then they are either Spanish, Italian or potuguese. These three are usually quite harmless, so you can just put them on ignore until you think they have calmed down.

- If it looks like your chat is bugged and you are only seeing half letters then you have russians on your team. Here you must assume they will always go solo (though together) and never join the rest of the non-English team. The best strategy here is to simply follow them and make it a 5v5.

- If almost the entire text consists of boxes, like this: [][][][]][] then these are Koreans and there is no chance whatsover that they will ever utter a word of English in the near future (I think their keyboard can't even do it) and so you should simply put them on ignore permanently.

- If Hurensohn is the first word uttered that is not English, then this is a German and you will most probably lose, unless there are French on the enemy team, as these always immediately surrender to Germans.

- If the abbreviations tg, ptn or fdp are mentioned, then you are dealing with French. In this case you have absolutely no chance of winning, should start a surrender vote immediately using the appropriate /ff (****ign french), switch off your computer, take a cold shower and listen to fais comme l'oiseau 7 times.

Also, here HotshotGG is not a God and CLG is not considered good. Fnatic Shushei is the local deity and CLG.EU the best team, with M5 as their evil nemesis.

Whenever on EUW, you can at least comfort yourself that you are not on EUNE.

Metzelmax

20-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Tunde View Post

- In any other game you always address someone with the prefix noob or tard, depending on which one you prefer.
Well, I dont think that's any different to NA.

Quote:
- If Hurensohn is the first word uttered that is not English, then this is a German and you will most probably lose, unless there are French on the enemy team, as these always immediately surrender to Germans.
Not only Hurensohn, but also Schwein and Behindertes Arschloch. Or he accuses you of being a "Jude" (= Jew) and promises to start invading your country after 5:55.

Also I laughed hard

Grizzfang

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

20-05-2012

instead of brazillians we got french and spanish (and a lot of others)

Lespejo

21-05-2012

Oh,

you do have brazilians =)
i am one of them LOL

riot games is opening a LATAM server soon, so most brazilians in NA or EUW might leave the servers

since i live in ireland, i will stay in the euw server

zigomorfico

21-05-2012

Quote:
not always... :/ but meh

Quote:
As not everyone's native language here is English, in desperate times people might prefer to swear in their own language. In this scenario, the following actions should be taken depending on the language:

- If more than half their words end in o or a, then they are either Spanish, Italian or potuguese. These three are usually quite harmless, so you can just put them on ignore until you think they have calmed down.

- If it looks like your chat is bugged and you are only seeing half letters then you have russians on your team. Here you must assume they will always go solo (though together) and never join the rest of the non-English team. The best strategy here is to simply follow them and make it a 5v5.

- If almost the entire text consists of boxes, like this: [][][][]][] then these are Koreans and there is no chance whatsover that they will ever utter a word of English in the near future (I think their keyboard can't even do it) and so you should simply put them on ignore permanently.

- If the abbreviations tg, ptn or fdp are mentioned, then you are dealing with French. In this case you have absolutely no chance of winning, should start a surrender vote immediately using the appropriate /ff (****ign french), switch off your computer, take a cold shower and listen to fais comme l'oiseau 7 times.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL you english speakers are so funny XD (i'm portuguese btw)
Quote:
Also, here HotshotGG is not a God and CLG is not considered good. Fnatic Shushei is the local deity and CLG.EU the best team, with M5 as their evil nemesis.
yup, here CLG.NA is not godlike. CLG.eu,M5 and a few more teams are awesome, and then you have some soloqueue guys like guardsmanbob for example.