Ryze vs Veigar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gilmaru

01-05-2012

Hi, I am recently trying to get used to playing with Ryze and i have seen people saying that he could counter Veigar.

Well, I am still practically noob at playing him, but every time I have faced a veigar that isn't a noob that seems to me impossible. In fact, quite the oposite happens. "Stack mr" they say, but veigar can harass me in early lvls to the point of outfarming me so much that when I get extra mr that just wont be enough.

So, if any of you is an experienced Ryze player, I would like to ask you how you hadle Veigar when he is your mid opponent.

dotPeddy

02-05-2012

he's not really a counter despite what people think. veigar can still burst him down even though ryze doesn't build ap,and you won't be able to harass him out in my experience. just passively farm and/or wait for jungler gank i think. he will oneshot people lategame while being squishy, with 'high' cooldowns, you'll be tanky and do constant high dmg. kinda a tradeoff.

there are plenty of better counters to veigar imo >.<' pretty sure pantheon fx would stomp the living **** out of veigar. gp too. if you want a standard ap you could probaly go leblanc/ahri/kassadin (stuff that bursts him down while being able to jump out of e), maybe even akali. think some of those matchups might be 'who snowballs first' dependant though.

Boatmurder

03-05-2012

Ryze is a good pick against veigar, the only thing hes missing is pushing power to force him under tower. Can survive a full combo including dfg easily with mercs and banshees. Wont get hit by dark matter if you use a QSS instead, but at the cost of some hp and mp (=dmg)

There's no "tricks", really, ryze is a very simple champion.
Maybe that you can start your combo with q before w e and have another q ready by the end.

Aptest

03-05-2012

Ryze, i feel, is not a counter to Veigar in the sense that he can push Veigar out of lane / kill him / completely outfarm him et cetera.

However, Ryze may be a good pick against Veigar in a team-composition view (I.E. good against Veigar in team fights as opposed to in lane).

Veigar is primarily a single-target nuke champion. I.E. His main purpose is to remove a single opposing champion from the field as his opening act, and provide support and "auxiliary damage" further on. Nuke types do better against teams with squishy champions because these champions are more easily "nuked". A team who'se champions are more durable can survive the initial burst and proceed to output superior over-time damage. Having a bulkier build than Veigar (can build ROA and BV to make decent nuke protection), Ryze can employ this strategy.