Jungling - What, how, when and why

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sephirotica

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2010

Ok, this is imagined as a small reference guide to jungling.
I will cover the basics of jungling, how to do it, what it is and how to deal with it.

Index
1 - What is jungling, pros and cons
2 - Who can jungle
3 - Summoner spells, runes
4 - Items
5 - A jungler on my team, WTF?
6 - 2v1 lane, who?
7 - Last note

1 - What is jungling
So, on with the basics. Presuming you never played this game, jungling is an act of not being in a lane but instead leveling trough killing neutral creep camps found scattered all around the map in areas known as jungle.
Why bother? Lets see -

Pros:
*Your team has an extra solo lane meaning that someone can level faster.
*You will also level faster than you would in a double lane.
*Gold income is definetely greater for you than it would have been in a double lane.
*Your position is unknown to enemy team giving you good opportunities to gank or assist a hard lane.
*Team gold income increases trough regularly doing dragon.

Cons:
*One of your team members is in a hard position of being in a 2v1 lane and not many heroes can handle this easily.
*If you are awaited somewhere you can be ganked easily.
*You might not be well leveled to kill players due to some heroes requiring different spells for jungling.

2 - Who can jungle?
Junglers are commonly differed by their ability to heal or survive some serious beating at early levels. CC is also a good thing.
- Most widely known jungler is definitely Warwick to whom this is enabled by his passive stacking lifesteal as well as abilities that can restore a considerable ammount of HP rather fast while still doing nice damage.
- Nunu is a good jungler due to his "eating" spell enabling him to do vast amounts of damage to minions as well as restore some HP.
- Amumu can jungle due to his passive damage reduction and "bulky" nature past level 3.
- Shaco is able to jungle rather easily due to his JitB giving him some nice CC over mobs as well as an aditional source of damage.
- Master Yi due to his Alpha strike being able to do aditional considerable damage to minions, self healing is also a good factor, past level 3.
- Tryndarmere gaining power while loosing HP is a good jungler also past level 3.
- Malphite due to his shield and attack-slowing spell is a very potent jungler past level 3.
- Fidlesticks is a very potent jungler due to his lifedrain spell, heavily reliant on golem buff for effectiveness tho.
- Olaf can also jungle without problems due to his W spell lifesteal component.
- Akali can jungle due to her passive giving her spellvamp on her potent (as it is) abilities.
- Udyr can be a potent jungler due to his shield/hp/mana restore in turtle stance and his high damage bonus and aoe in phoenix stance.
- Shen is allowed to jungle due to his healing-on-hit spell and his shield that can help absord nice ammounts of damage.

Please note that not all of them can jungle since level 1 (IWTHOUT SMITE) as stated in their "description". I cant think of many others atm but if you do please let me know and i wil update this.

3 - Summoner spells, runes
Smite is more or less a must have for jungler these days. It increases your gold gain in jungle, accelerates your jungling, gives you the ability to steal neutral buffs of other players (by warding/scouting them in some way) and possibly even steal dragon/baron when you get the chance. Please note that not all champions stated above can jungle without Smite so i do recomend trying it out in practice before going cocky in real game and geting owned by golem.
As far as runes go general recommendation is to get CDR in blue and armor or dodge in yellow, pick whatever u like in red, i also like keeping my quints socketed for +HP. You mana regeneration will mostly be "fixed" by maintaining golem buff.

4 - Items
Well, with most of them i would recomend a very simple build. Cloth armor, potion. Upgrade to Madreds Razor ASAP. Thats it. Where you go after that is totally up to you.
Ofc, some champions do not require this. Nunu just needs more AP, Malph more armor, Amumu more hp regen however what you chose is up to you. Madreds razors is rarely wrong.

5 - A jungler on my team, WTF?
Jungler on your team means someone is gonna have to hold a double lane solo. If thats you than good luck. Play passively, defensively and learn to love your tower. Hug it, rub it or whatever you wish but dont leave its (relative) safety. You will notice that you are gaining levels quite faster than your "lane opponents". DO NOT get cocky. You might be a level or 2 above them but they are 2. Not only does that mean twice as much HP to take down but also twice as much summoner spells to do you with. If you run into trouble with mana/hp call your jungler to take over while you go to base to shop/regen. Do pay attention tho, not many junglers can come immediately especially if they are in the middle of doing a buff monster, dragon or are simply on the other side of the map so try to plan it a bit ahead.
If you are not the one holding the double lane do note that your jungler is a good surprise factor in any lane fight and can contribute greatly to it. Try to work ganks with him.

6 - 2v1 lane, who?
What defines a good 2v1 champion? Few things.

• Ability to wipe out minion waves swiftly and collect the $$
    Ability to restore HP/MP yourself without need for often recalls
    Ability to prevent/disable towerdiving/disable attempts
    Ability to inflict enough damage to make the two think twice about attacking you

So, who would make a good 2v1 champ? First champ that comes to mind is Nasus being able to cover all of the above. Clean out minion waves with his E spell and collect the cash, massive passive lifesteal, further increased by his Q spell, Whiter to disable/prevent towerdiving.
I will list good/possible 2v1 champs, wont state specifics for every, tho. So, here goes.
Ashe, Cho'Gat, Fiddlesticks, Gragas, Heimerdinger, Janna, Kayle, Master Yi, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Nasus, Shen, Sivir, Udyr, Vladimir.
Please, do have in mind that not all of them are as rewarding nor as easy to play in a 2v1 lane. They may have their styles that differ one from another or their roles and mechanics that help them to defend the tower and remain competitive in lane trough offensive or defensive measures.
Ofc, as everything else, this list is not complete nor final in any way. There are other champions that can hold a 2v1 lane but with a greater amount of risk and much less gain

7 - Last note
This one goes out to all of you Warwicks out there who think its their god-given right to go jungling in an all-squishy team. Please do consider if anyone can hold a 2v1 lane before you go off since if your 2v1 is constantly killed and is feeding not only it wont help you but it will also be a huge disability to the team.

If you think something needs editing, changing or whatever, say it

Nootje

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2010

akali can jungle from start but needs smite
and luck that golems spawn first on the place you're starting

Gen3sis

11-06-2010

btw can someone explain to me what to do and how to jungle with ezreal. i know you need smite, but what else and in which order do you kill spawns?

i posted this here so i wont need to make new spam thread

Unixtreme

11-06-2010

Olaf with W skill can solo golem @ 1 an jungle from there, Q spaming with golem buff makes your life easier.

W Q W E W R W E...

Clothr Armor and 4 health pots are reccomended to do the whole level 4 Dragon cycle.

-Unixtreme

Sephirotica

11-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen3sis View Post
btw can someone explain to me what to do and how to jungle with ezreal. i know you need smite, but what else and in which order do you kill spawns?
Jungle with Ezreal? This is first time i even hear of this.
Im waiting for someone to answer.

Gen3sis

11-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirotica View Post
Jungle with Ezreal? This is first time i even hear of this.
Im waiting for someone to answer.
I soe some very high elo plyrs done it. Dunno how exactly. Thats why I'm asking ^^

Pingle

11-06-2010

Fiddlesticks is a good jungler due to his lifedrain, and he doesn't really need smite.

Porc Resplendent

12-06-2010

I go Jungle with nunu with smite, and I kille golem extremly fast. A lot faster than my Warwick (but my ww is without smiete obvuisly) Anyways, I think nunu kills golem faster than anybody with smite, he can smite and his q hits even harder than that. Only few hits left when you used q and smite. You should ad nunu as Jungler.

Sephirotica

12-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porc Resplendent View Post
You should ad nunu as Jungler.
Please do take your time to ACTUALLY READ the guide before posting needless comments.

Ty

Porc Resplendent

12-06-2010

I think you are fooling me and you edited it, but ok, I'll read better next time. I'm sure I did read it propery anyways. You have no need to be mean.

12345 ... 7