Magic Penetration Cap?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThePoOoH23

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

20-04-2012

So, if i buy haunting guise, abyssal scepter, void staff, sorcerer's shoes, and have mpen from masteries and runes will i have all bonuses?

I mean, is there any magic penetration cap so you won't have use of all 4 mpen items?

Report Teemo ty

20-04-2012

Well if the enemy only has 30 MR you will reach true damage point with only 30 mpen.

BIGMADBERSERKER

20-04-2012

There's no cap. But the different forms of penetration are calculated differently.

First you'll have flat magic reduction (Abyssal Scepter, for instance, where you literally reduce the value of someone's magic resist - the main difference between reduction and penetration is that reduction can bring values into the negative.) After that you have flat magic penetration, and finally percentage magic penetration.

EDIT: To clarify, if you have Sorcerer's Boots, Abyssal Scepter and Void Staff (disregarding masteries/runes for simplicity's sake), and you're fighting someone with 100 magic resist. First, your Abyssal Scepter will reduce his magic resist to 80 (not just for you, but teammates.) Then, your spell will penetrate 20 more of his magic resist, so he'll effectively have 60 for you. Then, your Void Staff will help you penetrate 40% of that.

There's no cap other than the 'innate' cap that comes from limited itemization and item slots.

Skelight

20-04-2012

You can only penetrate as deep as the magic resistance goes (40 magic penetration against 30 magic resistance will only reduce it to 0).

Resistance Reduction (Abyss Scepter) can reduce things below 0 (20 reduction against 10 resistance will reduce to -10)

Order - Flat Reduction > Percentage Reduction > Flat Penetration > Percentage Penetration.

Percentage penetration and reduction use diminishing returns, so if you have 40% from a void staff and 10% from masteries you will only get 46% instead of 50%, which is, I guess, in place to prevent you from penetrating too deeply and causing too much damage.

Flat penetration and flat reduction stack additively, so if you have 20 from Sorcerer's Shoe's and 20 from Haunting Guise, you will get 40 total.

Razor118171

20-04-2012

"Magic penetration cap"? Get a condom.

....I'm sorry, but the title sounded a tad wrong.

Haradeas

20-04-2012

very simple, magic reduction can go negative and magic penetration " caps " at 0.

Petekes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

20-04-2012

You can get 6 sorcboots and get 6x 20 mpen.