Armor Penetration or Attack Damage runes ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Legit Korean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-04-2012

Can someone tell me what runes I should get? I bought 7 Armor Penetration runes and I think I wasted my IP since almost every guide I see on websites like lolpro/solomid all champs seem to be using Attack Damage runes >_<

d1abl0o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-04-2012

it depends on the champion u take and what build u want to do... but Armor Penetration is very good imo :L

CrazyDongpal

16-04-2012

ad for scaling and better farm
armorpen for more dmg on champions
decide

Out Of N00bs

16-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDongpal View Post
ad for scaling and better farm
armorpen for more dmg on champions
decide
this and also AD is better for riven and champs with abilities that deal magic dmg but scale with AD like Udyr's Q, Shyvana's W, Yorick's E etc

the only champs that I play and would use ARpen over AD on are Garen and Renekton

urkdum

16-04-2012

Arpen are good for late game so im using them on carry ad mostly.
For solotop i prefer ad runes : when u begin with an early 80ad u can easily win vs not well runed people.

ShakeNBakeUK

16-04-2012

Flat AD = easier time last hitting early game (especially under tower), and more dmg dealt to champions if you have just Doran's Blade.

ArP = more difficult last hitting, better dmg vs. champions after first AD item bought after 1st Doran's Blade.

Smurfioso

16-04-2012

Both arm. pen and AD are good, depending on:
- champions: eg. fiora, master yi, trundle... have a skill which passively increase attack damage -> armor pen is a better choice
- builds: if you plan to build Last Whisper, consider to use full damage runes ( any ranged ad basically ); if you are gonna build trinity force consider full armor pen ( triforce passive amplify your base damage dealing phisical damage )
- you will last hit much much better with Ad runes ( early farm can be crucial for your mid/late game )
- for jungling, you want to clear jungle creeps faster -> Ad is the better choice ( or atk speed )
Your IP are not wasted, just do a mix and you will complete different pages later

rovakz

17-04-2012

I noticed on olaf, that without armor pen runes, his Q does ridiculously decreased damage in jungle, and remember abilities have bigger and bigger base damage witch 10~ ad wouldn't add as much as arpen, so if you are in jungle grab at least 12 armor pen + some ad, so you can still have good autoattacks, but for clearing power armor pen with physical dmg abilities go well on jungle creeps as well as with champs. If you have pure autoattacker without AS buff abilities like rammus you must go AS runes.

Also as smurfioso says there are champs with AD buffs, armor pen is never useless. I only have 2 rune pages, but i could think of useful combos that would fill about 6 rune pages, that doesn't mean all the runes i have and don't use are useless.

tomtom34b

19-04-2012

when looking at charts, arp owns extra ad hard when both your ad is high (say from items or other) and the target has good armor. However AD helps at early lvls with lasthitting much more than arp.

Sidhe deMorrigan

05-09-2012

This page
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2397526
has all the equations and is horribly complicated but in essence it says armour pen scales much better with ad items than ad runes do unless you are attacking targets with really high armour.

So as I see it unless you want to spend a lot of time beating up tanks, towers and other high armour targets armour pen is better apart from at really low level when it makes last hitting a bit easier unless you are using a champ where your ad is applied to an ability that does not do physical damage when ad may be better depending on how much use you make of that (or those) ability(s)

However that said when using a champion with an inbuilt damage boost like Sion attack speed runes give you much better bang for your buck in protracted fights but are mostly useless for poking, so in the jungle I recommend neither armour pen or attack damage but attack speed instead unless the champion has an inbuilt attack speed booster.