Orianna Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

weht

27-03-2012

The not-so-recent nerfs to sustain support champs show that non-heal, CC focused supports are becoming more viable in competitive play. Recently I've been playing Janna, Lulu, and Orianna almost exclusively (Alistar and Taric are strong, but in my opinion they have less teamfight potential).

So if I pick Janna or Lulu in ranked, it's fine. But if I pick Orianna, I'm guaranteed some flame and maybe a report, depending on how the game plays out. I believe Orianna is a good support pick, primarily because of her E (which I consider to be better than Soraka's passive, and Sona/Taric buffs) and synergy with AoE comps with her ultimate. She also has CC and free ward/bush control/zoning.

Furthermore, Orianna doesn't have the best AP ratios, and is outclassed by other AP carries. Most pros agree that she needs a lot of farm/AP to have damage.

I want the AD carries out there to have an idea what to do with Ori support, so here's a mini-guide:

For laning max E first and W second with a point in Q at level 3 or 4. Put the shield on your carry and never take it off unless to control bushes with Q. While in range of the carry/ball, the carry gets armor and MR, greatly reducing the damage received in trades. Try to use E on top of the passive buff, making those trades even more profitable. Harrass with auto attacks without removing the ball from the carry and keep the shield ready for trades.

When ganked, use your speed buff since the ball is already on the carry, and try to run through the buff as well. The movement speed is usually enough to get away, but if they catch up, shield the carry or switch the ball to yourself depending on who is focused. If they dive, never remove the ball from your carry, and time your ultimate for when they are too close. Don't use Q, just spam your shield/haste/slow and auto-attack.

When a gank comes from jungle, decide whether to use the speed buff first, then switch the ball to the jungler with shield (unless the carry taking damage for some reason), or switch the ball to the jungler first with shield then speed him up to help with gap closing. Use ultimate if the jungler is able to close the gap. I rarely use Q, auto-attacks do more damage.

Mid-late game:
Use shield + speed/slow on melee tanks, use the ultimate to position enemies for AoE from your team. Only use Q to position your ultimate when you have shield ready to bring it back quickly to a tank or carry. Stay close to your carries and use shield/speed/slow and ult if they get focused.

Build:
Boots + Ward + Health Pot, Philo Stone, Heart of Gold, then depending on the opposing team you can decide between finishing Shurelya's/Locket, Aegis of the Legion, Will of the Ancients, Zeke's Herald. Take Aegis if your jungler doesn't get one, otherwise finish either Shurelya's or Locket (game usually ends by this time). Zeke's Herald is a great item for your AD carry, consider buying it at any stage of the game if you have enough gold. Buy WotA if your team is double AP.

Runes:
All supports need gold, so gp/10 quints. Flat armor marks and seals, MR per level glyphs.

Masteries:
The only real need is gp/10 so at least 14 points in utility, taking the ward range mastery. The rest is up to you. In the offensive tree, you can spend 9 points to the 10% Magic Pen mastery. The defensive tree can be useful with regen, health, resistances and cooldowns.

Experia178

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

27-03-2012

Sounds good, not much more to add
I hate it when people flame / afk / report for others not following the "PRO METARR WITH HEALZAR OR NUNUUUU"

Good on your for playing Ori support

Kente81

27-03-2012

i played orianna as a support, she is viable if played correctly (and it seems you are doing good).
But this community sucks, you can't do anything about that, just keep in mind you can be banned to play any champ, my tip ignore all and play your game

hoizi35

27-03-2012

Well, the last game I played Orianna, my team won strictly because of my perfect ultis, damage had absolutely nothing to do there.
I then believed that her massive utility does in fact make her a good support. Still, her kit is kinda outclassed by Janna's, Lulu's or Nunu's.

But oh well, play what you want (as long as you are confident you won't just fail at it, I seen too many 0/10 Shaco's or Twitch's, for example) and /ignore if you have trouble with flamers.

weht

28-03-2012

The important thing is that it's actually possible to compare Orianna's kit with other supports, which strengthens my conviction that she is effectively a support champ.

Orianna vs Janna:
Q - Janna's is CC, Orianna has a ward. Janna wins
W - Janna's slow is a little bit better, not a skillshot and adds a passive movement speed bonus. Janna wins.
E - Janna's shield no longer gives AD if it is broken. Orianna' shield has passive Arm and MR bonus as long as it stays on a champ, on top of the active shield. Orianna wins.
R - Both are displacement, Janna's Ult heals, Orianna's does damage. They are tied imo.

Orianna vs Lulu
Q - Lulu has a strong CC. Lulu wins.
W - Movement speed buff for both, but Lulu also has an offensive silence/slow. while Orianna only has a slow. Lulu wins.
E - Orianna wins because of the passive buff.
R - Orianna has more displacement but Lulu's can be just as game-changing so they are tied.

Orianna vs Nunu
Q - Orianna wins, because at least it can be used as a ward.
W - Nunu's "permanent" attack speed buff is better compared to Orianna's shield. I think an AD carry prefer's the movement speed and attack speed, so Nunu wins.
E - Nunu's slow is better compared to Orianna's slow. Nunu wins.
R - Orianna's does less damage but is easier to pull off in a teamfight. Orianna wins.

Orianna is definitely not as good as Janna. But her kit is comparable to other non-heal supports, and doesn't fall too short in terms of utility. Some argue that if Orianna is support, so is Lux. I have yet to try Lux as support, but I disagree because Lux's ultimate won't be very impactful in teamfights (as she won't have farm/AP).

L4nceeEE

28-03-2012

tried her few times
works great if u have AD carry who knows power of laning with Ori support

weht

28-03-2012

^this^

The AD carry needs to know how powerful her shield passive is. The AD carry can win most trades once the Orianna has a few levels in E. I wrote the mini-guide to see if anyone picks up on this.

Orianna works very well with passive farming carries like Kog and Ashe, because they become impossible to harrass out of lane. But the best case scenario is to play aggressive (and combine ultimates) with Kennen, Graves, Miss Fortune and Ezreal.

Orianna's kit doesn't synergize well with Tristana, Sivir or Caitlyn. Tristana's rocket jump can remove the ball because of the 1125 range, and Orianna can't help Sivir or Caitlyn land their Q harrass.

Shadowcause

28-03-2012

I've been playing Lux support, which I don't think is as uncommon as Orianna support. But the sustain-lane meta **** is over, I prefer to roll a semi kill and farm lane, to get the most out of our bot lane. I'd like to do something similar to mmorell

Taric

Stun, heal, AoE Armor buff and AoE damage buff + minor heal per second.

Taric is a well rounded support, he has a hard CC, a minor-at-best heal, +amr buff which is usually ideal for bot lane and his ult gives a nice statistical boost. Theoretically, he's an ideal pick for support, however, in practice he's is expected to do more than what's capable. His success is refleacted on his carries success.

Alistar

Knock-up + Stun, Knockback with a landing delay, AoE heal and Self buff to damage + Large damage resistance.

Alistar is more suited to a kill lane, imho. His ultimate can give him a distinct boost to his survivability in a teamfight, allowing him to keep his aura items flowing and his disruption of the enemy team with Pulverise and Headbutt. To be fair, to the Alistar supports out there, he isn't an easy champ to play.

There will, perhaps, be people who read this and say to themselves or type (If they don't bother to read.) that alistar is easy to play and learn. Yes, he's easy to learn to the point where you can use his abilities in obvious situations, but for those that truely master Alistar, he is a massive asset to his team, no matter his role. Disruption, gank assists and a general steel wall of awesomeness is what you can make out of Alistar.

Orianna

Free unbreakable ward (Should you stay in range), Exceptional slow/speed boost skillshot with a small AoE, Lovely shield with a lovely passive effect (Should you stay in range) and an ultimate that throws enemies around (Realitive to their position)

I suppose the title "Underdog" would be better suited to Orianna. Theoretically, she doesn't seem ideal to the support role, but in practice she really does hold her own. Her ultimate, if placed right, can switch a tank and a DPS position instantly, putting them into the firing line and hopefully into the win. Her shield has a nice positive, though the shielding element to it is lackluster without AP to scale the amount, but the MR and AMR boost is a great thing.

Her Q and Speed red./boost are pretty nice too. No need to waste your money on warding the bottom bushes, like some support do, and you get to keep river warded. Speed boost and reduction, though a skillshot, can reap great rewards, as well as terrible consequences, should you hit or miss.

Every support has a + or -. I suppose, really, this could be summed up in a TL;DR as:

TL;DR If you can play well with what you use and you enjoy using it, more power to you.

only LAG kill me

28-03-2012

This must be read by support players.

sG Badlife

05-11-2013

I main support currently in silver.

I would say, it can be pulled off to get some good plays....
I know this Thread is outdated but at the current state of patchs, i would NOT play oriana as a support and here comes why:

1. I think its a waste of potential to put her on a support position cuz she counts to the best mid laners at the moment.
2. there are simply better ones.. why should i play orianna when i can play a zyra or a janna or nami or sona?
3. in high elo i would be very careful.