tips on lane vs xerath?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

incleficker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

16-03-2012

hey, some of you are gonna laugh extremely loud, but i CAN'T lane vs a xerath. i failed with veigar and i failed with malzahar. (and i can handle kassa with both so i'm no newbie)

before lvl 6, with lvl 1 boots you can't get out of the Q if you were performing an auto atk or casting a spell (it needs to finish the movement before it can walk), so he waits for you to try to last hit, and BAM.
after lvl 6 he double taps W, moves close enough for E with high movement speed, stuns you with ulti, lands other ultis and Q. even if you're under tower he can still outrange it.

i don't see how this can be evaded except with champs like kassadin or LB who can jump out of the area field or his range alltogether.

any tips on how to play with a dashless champ?

DivineEvil

16-03-2012

Dunno, never had that problem. Perhaps the deal is, Xerath is my main. I know him like my ten. If boots does not help, take NMM (400 gold rsist) and red pots only with it he will drain all his mana trying to harass you . Also he's quite easy to be ganked, just tell your jungler to wait while he uses W, then charge. Let him push first of course, stay in line with your minions. It's very hard to not push and harass as him with this AoE. And you really should arrange ganks on him, he's beast in late-game. Many people building him really wrong though, with that, ugh... rod of ages...

Any further details only if you specify champion you play.

Sgt Scrub

16-03-2012

maybe choose to run cleanse just to get out of his ultimate
maybe build a QSS later if you feel like it

I would be against playing Veigar because Veigar depends on nuking the enemy AP or AD carry
Xerath can sit faaaaaar back

If he harrasses you he will push the lane

If he tries to run up to you and stun he is predictable
use this to your advantage

All his attacks are delayed except for his e so juking is a good tactic

If you can't harrass him safely call for ganks and play defensively, CC him when he uses W because as I remember it has a short channel time

I bought him right at release
unlike Viktor I abandoned ship after 1 game
maybe will pick him up again

Mugshot

16-03-2012

Xerath can be a pain cause of his insane range...
but sofar all Xerath players I encountered as morgana had te
watch how I ate their health and minions

My tip for laning against Xerath would be:
dont stand in/behind you minions,
his Q spell (I think its his Q, the lightning line) wont be used on you but on your minions instead.
else it would be a waste if he would use it on you, because its rahter easy to avoid

- Gum

Gorodecki

17-03-2012

I used to main Xerath so I think I can help out a little bit. Xerath is hardly countered by any champions with gap closer like Kassadin, Leblanc and Ahri. Out of these three champs I would say Leblanc is weakest. She will probably shut down Xerath, but her late game is weak and is even worse, when she's not fed. Ahri is very mobile but it's all dependent on proper use of ultimate. Both, Xerath and Ahri, have the potential to kill each other nearly by one combo after reaching 6th level. Ahri stands a greater chance than Xerath, because her ultimate makes her insanely mobile and it's hard to land skillshots. However, if Xerath somehow survives Ahri's ulti he will probably burst her down before she backs out. So Kassa would probably be the best pick for such lane, but he is often banned.

I recently bought Fizz and although I did not play any Fizz vs Xerath (or Xerath vs Fizz) lane I would think that aggressive Fizz can shut down Xerath easily due to mobility.

General tips could be something like standing behind your creeps for most of the time. Even if he successfully lands Q on you it will make him push the lane and he is getting ganked easily. Practising dodging skillshots will also be very important, especially before Xerath gets two or three doran rings. He will get oom very quickly and then he can only let you free farm. This is also something you should watch out for too - you can't let Xerath free farm. In late game Xerath is one of the strongest AP carries, which not only does insane damage, but helps team to destroy turrets by spamming his spells from far range. Bearing that in mind you should aim to finish the game quickly, before Xerath achieves his full potential.

incleficker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

17-03-2012

i found his Q being destructive enough early game actually. he forces free farm and due to slow & weak auto atk mid lane the tower takes some minions every wave he pushes while he's hanging out just in range for xp, which is far enough to deny lots of junglers when ganking (we had mundo)

the AOE of his ulti is also too big to get out of if he lands it properly. all he has to do is, when you want to last hit a single minion: E, ulti, Q, ulti, ulti. perhaps a W somewhere in between so he can run faster after, but it's a certain death.

what i learned so far is: CLEANSE

which is something obvious i forget too much when going mid against stunners

McWhale

18-03-2012

How to counter Xerath?

Play Twisted Fate Ap Mid!

i am, though, an experienced player, and i am really good at hitting skillshots, and dodging them.

If you wanna dodge skillshots, do something unpredictable that will make your enemy stand left as a question mark.
Don't understand? ill give some examples:

A friend of mine played Annie vs Lux, and whenever lux throwed the orb, Annie went FORWARDS to Lux, making that orb stay far in the back, and annie could easily stun. Who would predicted that?

or, when i play ryze vs Brand, i simply just run to him, and around him really close, making brand confused and stressed about hitting me with his skillshots.

I used twisted fate as this, and you simply throw wild cards when you see xerath beams.

Good luck!

Regards - Perf3ct Sl4sh

Gorodecki

18-03-2012

I would not say that TF is a counter to Xerath. In fact he is very squishy and landing two or three skillshots on TF already forces him to play extremely passive or go back and heal. I know you can dodge, but experienced Xerath player will be able to land these two skillshots without much of a problem. Using wild cards, when Xerath beams is a nice strategy, but more experienced Xerath players will quickly realise, what you are doing and beam only after seeing your Wild Cards are on CD.

However, TF is not a bad choice. He has one best best skillsets in the game, when it comes to farm. AoE Q and Red card quickly clear whole waves of minions. That means that Xerath will not successfully zone you or reduce your farm. Also TF has very strong late game, when he builds lich bane. It's a solid advantage bearing in mind Xerath is strong late game too - you ensure your team still has strong composition. Whereas if you pick Leblanc even two early kills on Xerath will not make you useful in late game.