Gragas or Blitzcrank? o.O

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iTz ToasZted

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

im currently wanting to get a champion with kinda different gameplay than most offtanks i play
these 2 caught my attention but i cant really decide
so i would like some feedback to the champs to help me
its mostly about the fun factor btw but knowing i have no chance 2 win due to too much team reliance etc is sorta meh =/ as i have bad luck with soloQ
thx in advance for any feedback u can give me ^^

dcpdev

12-03-2012

blitzcrank is Sport much fun, but he falls offen the meta.. but u can play him as a support...
or u just play him in blindpick, where nobody has ever heard of meta and roflstomp a bit :D

J0rGe

12-03-2012

Don't play Blitz Support, for the love of god...
Try AP Blitzcrank mid <3

Impactxz

12-03-2012

Gragas is pretty **** good.

Really underplayed because not easy to have success with but when well played it is a strong pick who can handle most common AP mids. Cassiopeia would be one of the few mages that is really annoying for Gragas (just like any other melee auto attacker)

Rawrplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

I like Grag, I mained him for around 2 months just because he never gets old, and he is pure skillshot based and requieres skill to play (that's also why he's so underplayed).

Blitz is sort of boring after time and falls of late game.

Grag can do nice damage and poke throughout the whole game and is really fun to jump around with E, hit those barells with Q and then a turn around ultimate that requieres good hitting and logic.
He also is looking funny and feels fun to play, unlike blitzcrank with your only objective Q R E W hope your teammates kill.

iTz ToasZted

12-03-2012

thx for the feedback untill now
didnt know that blitz mid ap would work =o can someone explain how to play that?
actually i would play blitz either mid,top (if enemy has a weak top pick), or jungle
or in 3v3 at bottom lane
gragas as far as i know is good pick solotop and mid as he has long range and can zone melees with his Q
dunno tho how fine i would do in late or against high mobility champs...
can anyone tell something about gragas late? especially what items u would use (on ap gragas if i play tanky it depends on enemy team anyway)

I am DOOM

12-03-2012

Blitz is lots of fun at times. It's sometimes frustrating because his Q is kinda bugged (where skarner ult always pulls flashes/dashes with delay can negate the pull effect if timed properly).

Blitz is fun if you like to:
Punish people for being out of position.
Bait people.
Be important enough not to be ignored.
Annoy people with CC.
Sometimes safe people.
Making people fear you.

AP mid blitz is kinda stupid to be honest, at 100 AP (a lot for blitz because you can't just build straight ap), your QR(passive)R(active) will deal about 200 extra damage. And since blitz isn't a bursty champ (low AP ratios) you'll do better trying to harras (W to get close/dodge and E to deal damage), which usually works better top, if you want a solo lane.

If you go AP blitz, your main damage will be from Q and R. Since I assume you will want to get mana you'll have to get (muliple) AAS and rabadons, because you need all the ap you can get and lichbane, or else you can't burst anyone down. Blitz has a base AP ratio not considering R passive of 1.8, so at 1000 AP your bonus damage will be 1800, which is not so much.

If you go AD blitz, top (or mid if they don't have instant snares/stuns and you're good at dodging skillshots) W will be your gapcloser, E will be your harras damage.
When harrassing, there are 2 things you have to consider, do you want your first autoattack to be with or without E, because you can use E to reset your autoattack you can chain 2 attacks if they don't move away and you have time. Q is then mostly used as a gapcloser when they try to run away from you.

My sololane skill order E (if they don't have ranged harras at level 1)>W or Q depending on what you need more. W to harras and Q to counter being harrassed. Then start maxing R>W>E>Q in that order. W, will give you an advantage in speed which makes it easier for you to stick to and cut off targets and deal more damage. E will make sure you can E more often increasing your damageoutput and sticking power more. Q will increase some damage but due to long CD you're not likely to use it more than once during laning phase in a fight. Also when having 20% CDR it'll be 16s vs 12.8s level 1 vs level 5.

Item choices, Tear of the goddess, building it into either manamune or AAS. Boots... CDR if you're not getting near max CDR otherwise, if you will, then merc if you're planning on initiating/meleeing. Frozenheart against AD heavy teams, and the pre item is kinda a must for the 15% CDR and extra mana/armor.

If you have questions you can add me ingame and ask if you want.

I never played gragas, so I can't tell you much about him.

Also, blitz doesn't fall off, lategame unless people start buying BV. His 1s knock up +300 damage every 3 will still be great. His Q will still pull like it always has.
When going ad, you can start with R in fight to get rid of BVs for your team mates if needed.

Yarzahn

12-03-2012

Quote:
he is pure skillshot based and requieres skill to play (that's also why he's so underplayed).
Hes underplayed cause he's too much of an all or nothing. Viktor, ziggs, orianna, lux and a sh*tload of other mages rely on skillshots as much as gragas. But unlike him they have more than 2 ranged abilities they can use. If gragas misses a skillshot or has bad luck, his damage goes down the drain because its all concentrated on 2 abilities.

Impactxz

12-03-2012

Gragas CAN be played top, I do not like it, however i've heard it's viable.

Late game Gragas's goal is to deal as much damage as possible with his Barrel Roll (Q) and then bump people out of position with his Explosive Cask (R). You can easily be punished for using Body Slam (E) to burst someone in melee, don't do that unless the target is more or less alone and you think you'll be safe if you do so.

Items wise.. Gragas benefits a lot from Doran's ring, stacking up to three of these is incredibly effective when playing him. Then I usually go for RoA > Rabadon > Void Staff > Lichbane > w/e, Zhonya can be good.

I am considering taking Rabadon first, though. Gragas's impact on the game depends on how well he does early-mid game.

Impactxz

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarzahn View Post
Hes underplayed cause he's too much of an all or nothing. Viktor, ziggs, orianna, lux and a sh*tload of other mages rely on skillshots as much as gragas. But unlike him they have more than 2 ranged abilities they can use. If gragas misses a skillshot or has bad luck, his damage goes down the drain because its all concentrated on 2 abilities.
I've talked to a few friends that like playing AP champs such as Ahri, Cassiopeia, Twisted Fate (etc) why they don't play Gragas, they told me they hate his melee auto attacks.

Guess that's why Galio's not that popular either even though he got a huge increase in popularity lately (when I leveled my account I never saw a Galio before reaching 30) due to M5 Alex Ich's great success with him in tournament play.