How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 33 1.81%
11-40 Games 110 6.03%
41-80 Games 155 8.50%
81-120 Games 233 12.78%
121-160 Games 115 6.31%
161-200 Games 146 8.01%
200+ Games 297 16.29%
400+ Games 225 12.34%
600+ Games 89 4.88%
800+ Games 54 2.96%
1000+ Games 366 20.08%
Voters: 1823. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucian 32cm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-02-2012

@Riot Lyte What do you think about changing the starting ELO for a new Ranked player and setting it the same as his NORMAL hidden elo?
IMO that would prevent new players who are actually better/worse than 1200 from playing real 1200 ppl

Riot Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

18-02-2012
8 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcore Bot View Post
@Riot Lyte What do you think about changing the starting ELO for a new Ranked player and setting it the same as his NORMAL hidden elo?
IMO that would prevent new players who are actually better/worse than 1200 from playing real 1200 ppl
My main concern is that a lot of players enjoy playing for fun, playing with low level friends, and trying out new item builds/champions in Normal Mode. I do not want players to feel pressure that even in Normal, they should try their best because it will affect their Ranked placements if they ever wish to do Ranked in the future.

A better goal would be to improve the placement matches in Ranked to be more accurate.

ArdamN

18-02-2012

It's always good to know that you're investigating the problems on ranked queue and the matchmaking system. I thought the system works as intended, and you guys like the way it is.

Anyway, i'm not quite sure if it would work out, but i would like to see a specialized elo. I know it is a team game and you need to communicate with your team to achieve victory. It's just not fair that a player did everything in a game but still couldn't carry and lost the game because of his teammates. What if it's possible to let that player lose less elo than his teammates?

Lucian 32cm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Lyte View Post
My main concern is that a lot of players enjoy playing for fun, playing with low level friends, and trying out new item builds/champions in Normal Mode. I do not want players to feel pressure that even in Normal, they should try their best because it will affect their Ranked placements if they ever wish to do Ranked in the future.

A better goal would be to improve the placement matches in Ranked to be more accurate.
Is there anything bad at all at trying your best EVERY game? I do, just because i'm lvl 30 and i can go ranked it doesn't mean i have to sit back and relax while there might be people in my Normal Game Team who can't/don't want to play Ranked, and they deserve that i give my best in order to win.

There is a lot of people out there who actually enjoy playing Normal Games, and they get trolled A LOT by people who play mainly Ranked, and their only response would be like "hey, if you want to play srsly go ranked". And that is too an issue, IMHO

EDIT: btw, anyway i'd like to thank you for making this thread, at last Riot shows us they are worried
(and i mean they SHOW us, didn't mean you didn't care :P )

Subz

18-02-2012

elo is just a bad system to find the skill level of players in a team game.
brainstorming some ideas, might be **** or good. probably **** but w/e
befor you que up you gota chose your desired position, top mid jungle adbot or support.
you have seperate elo on each role.
depending on how you do as your desired role for your team you gain or lose "role elo".
uff dunno maybe someone has other ideas but i think a general change is needed

Fatális Véletlen

18-02-2012

Yesterday i played a ranked game, and my team had no cv, no smite on jungler, while the enemy did and they counterjungled all game so they stomped us and there was absolutely nothing more i could have done

Guess theres not much you can do about it with matchmaking, it's just really annoying when I have a game where I feel enemy is high above my level and my team is far below

Deneviel

18-02-2012

I think there must be a number of base match plaied in order to acces ELO. That base match had to take count of leave and afk report and the number had to increase espontially when u have a bad history.

Example:
500 mininum match to play elo ( Win+Lose )
The "X" champ has been reported "X" time and the tribunal condam him, so the number of minimun match increase to 550
The "X" champ continue to be reported ...... Number of match increased to 650
Then 800 and so on.

I have over 600 Normal/Draft and over 300 Vs Ai and i never plaied an ELO macth simply cause i think i'm not prepared to do it.

Then i look at people ( sad but true, mostly are Kid ) that asa they reach level 30 start elo and make teamates lose. The most funny think is seening a 1121 Elo on normal draft that don't even know how to ban.... and ban the champ he want to play ( annie )

This sistem will not penalize new player? Actually on the tribunal we are joking with account ban, forcing a player to play some normal match is a realy few penality if compared to a perma ban.

Note: the sistem does not apply for full pramade team... since if u are part of a team that mean they know how u play.

Riot Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

18-02-2012
9 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcore Bot View Post
Is there anything bad at all at trying your best EVERY game? I do, just because i'm lvl 30 and i can go ranked it doesn't mean i have to sit back and relax while there might be people in my Normal Game Team who can't/don't want to play Ranked, and they deserve that i give my best in order to win.

There is a lot of people out there who actually enjoy playing Normal Games, and they get trolled A LOT by people who play mainly Ranked, and their only response would be like "hey, if you want to play srsly go ranked". And that is too an issue, IMHO

EDIT: btw, anyway i'd like to thank you for making this thread, at last Riot shows us they are worried
(and i mean they SHOW us, didn't mean you didn't care :P )
There is definitely nothing bad about trying your best every game; however, one of the beautiful things about League of Legends is that we have such a diverse population and everyone enjoys League in a different way.

I hear your concerns and I agree, it would be nice if we could calculate the 'intention' of a player when they queue up for a match. Sometimes you play Normal mode, but you still want to play to win. Sometimes you play Normal mode, and you want to test a new Champion. Knowing a players' intention can help us matchmake better and is something we are actively discussing.

finishingmove

18-02-2012

I've noticed the matchmaking is very streaky.

And by that I mean very. -300 + 500 ELO gains seem normal. 40-50 games where you stomp your opponents followed by just as many games where you haven't a remote chance of winning, and you know it already in champion select.

The system should not 'force' you to lose OR win to this extent. It should just mildly push you into one direction.

Skelight

18-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Lyte View Post
Knowing a players' intention can help us matchmake better and is something we are actively discussing.
I like. +1