How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 33 1.81%
11-40 Games 110 6.03%
41-80 Games 155 8.50%
81-120 Games 233 12.78%
121-160 Games 115 6.31%
161-200 Games 146 8.01%
200+ Games 297 16.29%
400+ Games 225 12.34%
600+ Games 89 4.88%
800+ Games 54 2.96%
1000+ Games 366 20.08%
Voters: 1823. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChimaZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-02-2012

I would appreciate when u are duo Queing that there are basically two ways to be match maked, First: U are first one and duo mate last one or u are 4th and ur duo mate last one. Thatīs kinda ****, I was with my duo differented about 7 elo, but we never been first and second or first and third. Dunno why, may be unlucky, but we did about 20 games and always were in that setup that I already wrote.

Riot Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

18-02-2012
5 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobTHEsnob View Post
This is an illposed problem. The issue is the following: A player can be excellent at playing a particular champion in a certain role say mid as veigar, but be forced/chose to play his new champ Nautilus as support in a different game. Say his elo as veigar mid belongs at 2k. It i very possible that his true elo as Nautilus support is 1k. And so said player hovers around 1500 elo and absolutely owns half the games and feeds like a monkey the second half. Unless I am very mistaken by the time he has mastered nautilus as support he will have discovered and bought a new champ UnknownBadJungler which he decides to jungle. again suppressing his elo sub 1500 inspite of his veigar mid skill. Since the skillsets required for different champs and roles varies so much, it is very likely that the problem is only solvable by attaching individual elo to the champs which would be difficult as the game is set up...so...no easy solution here. Even amongst the very top players few(read: none) play all the roles even close to equally well...
You have fair points; however, underlying player skill does carry over across champions. For example, a 1800 player might be a 2100 Annie player, a 1500 Vayne player, so on and so forth, and the representation of his skills across champions is 1800. When this player plays a new champion for the first time, he might be equivalent to a 1500 player on the new champion.

Now, let's compare this it a second example. A 1500 player might be an 1800 Vayne player, a 1200 Volibear, so on and so forth. The representation of his skill is currently about ~1500. When this player plays a new champion for the first time, he might be the equivalent of a 1200 player on the new champion.

So yes, I agree that player skill varies across champions; but, I think some amount of player skill does transfer across champions since afterall, there are a lot of basic mechanics and skills you learn in League of Legends that stays with you, the player and not necessarily tied to the champion you play.

Tekno Link

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

18-02-2012

1) What is your Summoner name?
Tekno Link
2) What was the game mode? (Normal, Normal Draft, Ranked)
Ranked
3) What was the map? (Summoner’s Rift, Dominion, Twisted Treeline)
SR
4) Were you queuing with a friend?
a. If yes, how many friends? (1, 2, 3, 4?)
b. If yes, and ranked, what were you and your friends’ Elo(s)?
c. If yes, and normal mode or normal draft, what was the Level and win/loss of you and your friends?
no

5) If you are below Level 30, do you have a Level 30 account?
no

6) Any specific reason(s) you felt the game was unbalanced?
The reason was that our lowest pick was at least 50 ELO lower than the other's lowest pick, and our highest pick was 10 ELO lower than the other team's highest pick. This is after I added 24 ELO to all champs to negate the elo loss/gain.

7) A screenshot of the end-game score
Sorry, don't have.

Riot Lyte

18-02-2012
6 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxDAMONSTHA View Post
Finally, leavers and disconnects. The team that has those should lose less elo or not any elo at all. Itīs just not fair. Morello said somewhere that leavers where in a "fairly" low ratio, 1 to 10 if I recall correctly. Well, going to a game knowing that I have 10% chances of getting a leaver is not something Iīd be happy with.
I do understand however that this can be abused, but with the right measures itīs one of those things that will bring this game an healthier ranked competition.
One of the things I intend to re-visit is the punishment for leaving. I am looking into whether leaving Ranked games deserves a harsher punishment and if so, what it should be. I agree that even a 10% chance to get a leaver is too high.

TG LindRiver

18-02-2012

Leavers should lose the elo of the whole team and the teams elo should stay where it was, this prevents people more from leaving and if they do the people that stays won't get punished for it.
Saying that it will be "abused" by some people leaving because people rage at them so much to leave isn't a valid argument, There is both an ignore button and everyone knows that humankind will get mad over someone not doing what they should do etc.
Doing this would also result in those that leave just because someone tells them that it's better to get Banshee's veil then Randuin's omen because we got perma AoE slow and they don't have any AD champions (very uncommon but just an example) will maybe actually start to evolve their gameplay and listen to the other players and stay in the game to do that, instead of just plainly leaving and not really losing anything on it.

Sorry for the wall of text.

CyberRage

18-02-2012

Here is an example, me and my friend Wabo went into ranked and we got matched with three people that did not chat, teamwork or have skill beyond that of lv20 players. Very obviously a 'match-made lose'. Even though we totally dominated our lanes we couldn't do anything other than to watch our team-mates jump in and get themselves killed one by one every single time.

EDITED ::: Saved the screenshot, thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baron_Nashor.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	75902  

Creideiki

18-02-2012

THANK YOU for this! Fantastic to see actual work in progress and to be asked for input.

I'll start collecting data.

Generally, I would expect to have to play over a 1000 games in Normal before I reach my true hidden ELO (which for a casual player like myself is very high and rather offputting!). The community experience in Normals has scared me off even trying ranked yet.

Morhir

18-02-2012

I won't lie. The highest elo I have had is 1248. My experience with ranked games is probably all of 20 games actually played. That includes season 1 & 2. I have played games where I have gone 12/1/6 as an example but as stated earlier it is hard for one person to carry a whole team. Especially if you have a lane that's really fed. Like one that springs to mind is a Kennen mid on 1/12/0. Sure we all tried to help him, we even were nice and told him to stop over extending. He didn't listen at all. I am not sure why if I end up with a better score personally than anyone on the losing & winning team why I should lose elo. Should I lose it because I couldn't carry 4 people hard enough?

mistokles

18-02-2012

I agree that the system is currently rather flawed. I will do my absolute best to participate in improving it and will share some data sooner or later. However, I have one concern... A lot of people seem to blame it on the DUO-QUE. While I am aware it makes the system messed up, I can't imagine playing without it. Whatever you do, please do not remove the feature to que with your mates, it makes the game A LOT more entertaining. So yeah, edit it as you want, but can you please assure us that you won't remove duo que?

Riot Lyte

18-02-2012
7 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torriad View Post
I agree that the system is currently rather flawed. I will do my absolute best to participate in improving it and will share some data sooner or later. However, I have one concern... A lot of people seem to blame it on the DUO-QUE. While I am aware it makes the system messed up, I can't imagine playing without it. Whatever you do, please do not remove the feature to que with your mates, it makes the game A LOT more entertaining. So yeah, edit it as you want, but can you please assure us that you won't remove duo que?
I know there are lots that love duo queue and lots that hate it. Ideally, improving how matchmaking handles duo queue is a much better option than removing it entirely.