How do you/who does counter a good Warwick top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lash x

15-02-2012

Hey,

I'm 1400 ELO (just got there now, woop), I mainly play top/jungle. I play a fair bit of Warwick top however, he just seems to be my "safe pick" for winning games when I can't see the enemies top. He has super sustain, he has decent damage from Q and R, he can go very tanky while still doing damage, he can initiate fights very well, you decide when fights start.

Im on 83.3% win ratio with him, 20 wins 4 losses, and I just wanted to know who does actually counter a good Warwick top? OR What kind of playstyle counters him Just purely so I know who not to pick Warwick against, and who I should pick when VS a Warwick.

Thank you

tl;dr who counters warwick top?

Solaire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-02-2012

I don't really play against him that much on lane, but I do play him myself fairly often.
I'd say very high burst damage is one of the best ways to counter him, so he doesn't have time to heal it back up, whereas Poke/Harass seems kind of pointless.
I'd say you preferably want to deny him as much as possible before he gets CD reduction and Spirit visage, because at that point he seems to be extremely hard to kill, apart from Hard CC of course.

Mikey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-02-2012

go play more champions cause its just funny how u can only play 1 champion l0l

Fatális Véletlen

15-02-2012

Morde. Or anyone, who can fairly safely push

TheShadowFox

15-02-2012

found nidalee quite good, outpushes ( ww goes out of mana hard if forced to towerlasthit ) and when hes out of mana the strong pokes of nidalee will wear it down faster then youd think. Also, nidalee has great sustain even.

Morde is another who can really hurt warwick in lane.

Warwick wins lanes but outfarming and never needing to back alot. Nasus, imo, is quite good because he can lasthit well and lifesteal, with lowering ww speed and autoattack when needed aswell as ultying in a pinch after ultied by ww

Rectus7

15-02-2012

gp cuz healing reduction plus he can eat an orange when u ult him.

Lash x

15-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thorne View Post
I don't really play against him that much on lane, but I do play him myself fairly often.
I'd say very high burst damage is one of the best ways to counter him, so he doesn't have time to heal it back up, whereas Poke/Harass seems kind of pointless.
I'd say you preferably want to deny him as much as possible before he gets CD reduction and Spirit visage, because at that point he seems to be extremely hard to kill, apart from Hard CC of course.
Thank youuu, will try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King Mike View Post
go play more champions cause its just funny how u can only play 1 champion l0l
You seem fairly aggregated that you are 1338 elo and never been over 1400, it's okay, I understand that you are "in elo hell lul" and that the "feeder nubs" are dragging you down but, I don't really see what input this comment had on the thread? Considering i have 300 games played, and 24 with him... hmmm? I think it's safe to say that umad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatális Véletlen View Post
Morde. Or anyone, who can fairly safely push
Will try morde, seems to be a counter in theory. Shield, hard pushing would counter his Q harass and warwick is awful under tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonages View Post
found nidalee quite good, outpushes ( ww goes out of mana hard if forced to towerlasthit ) and when hes out of mana the strong pokes of nidalee will wear it down faster then youd think. Also, nidalee has great sustain even.

Morde is another who can really hurt warwick in lane.

Warwick wins lanes but outfarming and never needing to back alot. Nasus, imo, is quite good because he can lasthit well and lifesteal, with lowering ww speed and autoattack when needed aswell as ultying in a pinch after ultied by ww
Will try these 3 thank you. Is there any point in harassing a warwick at all once he's been B first time and is pretty tanky already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectus7 View Post
gp cuz healing reduction plus he can eat an orange when u ult him.
Just played vs a fairly good gp and ended up 6/1/8, orange counters WW's ult, but his Q poke is completely cancelled by your Q 'poke' so he ended up just being worn down from cloth 5, while i was just dorans ring. Ill try it though!

Grayscale

Recruiter

15-02-2012

WW's biggest weakness is that he cant depush lane. He cant farm pack of creeps fast, so its easy to counter him by getting a sustainable pusher, and just make ww waste farm.

Wofford

15-02-2012

Caitlyin is probably your best bet but not sure. I have over 500 games with Warwick and there really arent any real counters i can think of.

my guess would be and i am not entirely sure

good pick:

Caitlyin
Ryze
Sion
Galio
Morde

ok to pick:

Teemo
Irelia
Garen (if laning phase is short)

popular solo tops that should not be used against Warwick:

Gangplank
Wukong
Akali
Chogath
Nasus

There might be more champs in each category but just listed what came to mind

Owl Raider

15-02-2012

You're correct that he's a very safe pick. As such he doesn't have any hard counters, much like the other great solo top champions like Gangplank, Irelia, Riven, etc. Mordekaiser, Nidalee, etc are not hard counters to Warwick, not even soft counters I dare say. Warwick can push just as well as them thanks to his W, well not as fast as Morde but fast enough to equalize the lane rather than let it get to tower.

There are 2 ways to approach a Warwick lane as your opposition:
1. Take a champion that benefits from the farm more than Warwick, Tryndamere, Nasus, etc come to mind. Just make sure to heavily focus on MR with your runes and masteries to greatly reduce the damage his Hungering Strike will do to you early game.
2. Take a champion that can burst him down hard, causing him to burn through his mana early and leaving him vulnerable when you reach level 6, or even before that if he's a bad Warwick. Champions like Talon, Riven, etc come to mind.

With all that said, remember that these are soft counters rather than hard counters. Warwick can still function in lane against both champion types. It's just that with these 2 types you have the advantage rather than Warwick.