Camera Angle's

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Supurman

05-02-2012

Hey,

1st post here. Just wanted to post my thoughts on camera angles. I have watched a few streams and noticed that none of the top players play with a fixed camera (keybinded Y) then i realized this was because if you unlock camera you can see further ahead of your character.

Hence its a clear advantage (see oncoming players sooner) to unlock the camera and shove the camera view around the screen via mouse movement to the extremities of the screen. Then i asked myself WHY? Why should you have to move the camera manually when all they need to do is allow you to zoom out a little further when the camera is locked. My idea is this:

1 allow those who play with fixed camera to zoom out further to see up to the edge of FOW as a person who uses a unlocked camera can.
2 if you reason "well the person who has unlocked camera can see more in front but less behind" then adjust the locked camera to be either centered or front adjusted, at least provide the option please.

I personally play with a locked camera as i didn't realise you could unlock and "shove" the view around with the mouse, but i think this game isn't about camera control its about gaming and i would like to be able to concentrate on the game and not moving the camera. Also im sure it comes naturally to those who play 15 hours per day but i would like the option that's all.

Many Thanks

Supur

Saviour Star

05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supurman View Post
1 allow those who play with fixed camera to zoom out further to see up to the edge of FOW as a person who uses a unlocked camera can.
Players who play with the camera unlocked often hold down the Spacebar to temporarily recentre or lock their camera during fights. If they're zoomed out different distances in each mode, this would just cause major distance perception screws when trying to judge the range of abilities, especially non-targeted abilities.

Besides that, it probably wouldn't help anyway on Champions with long range abilities. Ever tried to use poke abilities like Mystic Shot or globals like Enchanted Crystal Arrow while on locked camera? It doesn't work half as well as when you've got it unlocked.

Supurman

05-02-2012

Yep that's my point tho. Why not just allow the OPTION of being able to zoom our further? (wouldn't this remove the need of manual camera control...other than to click minimap for spying / map-wide skill shots etc) That would allow you to see where your abilities go. Games like WOW and SWTOR allow you to lock the maximum zoom in settings so maybe something like this.

In addition i forgot to mention those who use a locked camera have a disadvantage dependent on what side the map then end up on. EG you start from top right base and head towards your action bar you have less field of view of someone who is starting bottom left and heading away from action bar. (as the action bar block some of the map)

Also why does the view even need to change dependent on what side of the map you start from? cant you just flip the camera angle so everyone is always heading away from action bar to the center of the map?

I would like an official stance on this if possible from a riot employee? I was told on my ticket that they view/post here allot.

Thanks

KindaMehRiven

05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saviour Star View Post
Players who play with the camera unlocked often hold down the Spacebar to temporarily recentre or lock their camera during fights. If they're zoomed out different distances in each mode, this would just cause major distance perception screws when trying to judge the range of abilities, especially non-targeted abilities.

Besides that, it probably wouldn't help anyway on Champions with long range abilities. Ever tried to use poke abilities like Mystic Shot or globals like Enchanted Crystal Arrow while on locked camera? It doesn't work half as well as when you've got it unlocked.
^This

I play pretty much everything on Smartcast, because I know exactly what range my abilities have.
Now if you do things like an Ezral/Ashe/Gangplank Ultimate across the entire map, you would have to zoom out to a satellite distance.
Imagine trying to hit max range skillshots or leading an enemy with a skillshot when you constantly screw up your zoom level (it bugs me already enough when I accidentally touch my mouse wheel).
Summoner Teleport: Try to hit a ward on the minimap with your mouse. Have fun.

These are the reasons you have/need/should use the unlocked camera. And yes, 5% of the game is operating the camera.
By the way, you can also shrink your HUD in the options. Should make it easier for purple team.

That being said, I wouldn't really mind being able to zoom out 3 or 4 ticks further.

Supurman

06-02-2012

OK so lets get this rolling into a tailored down version please

Can we please have the option to zoomout a bit more?

RIOT please reply

Thanks

Mid Pro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

06-02-2012

you HAVE to be able to look at different places, to time your global ultimates or teleports. or to be able to judge the enemies condition.

there is no way you can play league decent with locked camera.
you simply HAVE to get used to unlocking it.
im sorry.

Supurman

09-02-2012

nah i think you could allow us to zoom out a few more clicks.....bump for a response.

customer service said post on the forums "as they are looked at regularly" which i have done. Waiting for response.

snadge

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supurman View Post
nah i think you could allow us to zoom out a few more clicks.....bump for a response.

customer service said post on the forums "as they are looked at regularly" which i have done. Waiting for response.
everybody has the same 'view' from the camera, someone who can competently use unlocked camera has the advantage over someone who uses fixed, I used to use fixed camera but forced myself to learn how to play with it unlocked, it ups your game a huge amount.

Support telling you to post on the forums about it to garner support from players is a catch all for 'go away please'.

Eldin Strongfist

29-04-2012

No stupid idea, it can only zoom out that far for a reason - you have to be constantly aware of your surrounding.