To South African Players with unusually high pings (lately)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeckStar

03-11-2011

Hello

If any of you are experiencing unusually high pings, 340 - 450 instead of 180 - 240, this is because an undersea cable went down close to the UK. It's been down for the last 2 weeks. Expected date of repair is tomorrow 04 November. Full services should be restored by Monday 07 November. My ISP is MWEB and I am not sure if this problem is specific to them or if it is across the board.

Thanks

DeckStar

toasTT

03-11-2011

Thanks for letting us know. I was about to phone and rage at MWEB...

SG Deadsh0t

03-11-2011

Cool. Lets HOPE

DeckStar

04-11-2011

Here is an update for you from 2 articles I found:

http://broabandtrafficmanagement.blogspot.com/2011/10/south-africa-p2p-control-helps-overcome.html

http://www.franktechconnect.za.net/blogger/2011/10/09/mweb-seacom-update/

Think it's time to switch to WebAfrica

Lé Vexalon

04-11-2011

I heard there was a problem about that. Received this Email from MWEB some time back.....

Quote:
Dear MWEB Customer

Further to our recent communication regarding the break in the Seacom undersea cable, our full international capacity has now been restored by using capacity on alternative cables. Seacom estimates that the repairs to their cable may take a further two weeks to complete.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you have queries, please call us on the numbers listed below.

Kind regards
MWEB Operations
I did contact MWEB via email too, and they told me to do speed tests etc. I already did that and included all that info in my first mail to them. Anyway, since i thought it may be a line problem, i phoned Telkom and asked them to check the line. Apparently my lines are working properly. I have only been getting lags while playing League of Legends. Also, i downloaded Heroes of Newerth, and played it yesterday. To my surprise i did not lag at all. I then searched these forums for other lag problems, and it appears that we are not the only people experiencing lag problems. The cables went down early October, i have been experiencing lag from 31 October. So i dont think its the undersea cables that is the issue.

Here is the forum with Lag complaints:
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=460140&page=32

There are quite a bit of complaints, which mean it cant be a South African problem only.
Fingers Crossed

DeckStar

08-11-2011

MWEB's IVR system, when you call in, says that the cables whould be fixed by 9 November 2011. Here's hoping because this LOL drought is making me edgy!