How does the match making system work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

polo2006

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

27-09-2010

I have wondering for quite a while how the normal matchmaking que is working?
It cant be based on wins, since last game i was in a team with like:
600 200 300 200 170
and they had like
700 600 500 300 600

didn't look kind of fair too me.

What is the system based on?

"luck"?

Rhoda Issa

27-09-2010

It's based on rating. You win a game, you win rating, you lose you lose rating. Having more wins doesn't mean you have more rating, so you can get paired with them or play against them if they can't turn their triple experience in a better rating than you can currently.

polo2006

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

27-09-2010

So its basicly based on a Win/lose ratio?
that doesn't make sense, a guy that have played 188 wins and lost 125 have a great diffrence from someone that played 750 wins and only 500 loses, both will have a 1.5 win/lose ratio but its a higher chance that the one with 750wins would play better imo.

Someone please tell me the system isn't working as this :S

Rhoda Issa

27-09-2010

No it's not. The ratio is rather unimportant. It is possible to be below 1200 rating with 1:1 win loss ratio but you can also be above 1300. You win rating depending on your team skill level and enemy team skill level. Are you winning a game the system assumed you would lose, you will gain more rating then when the system assumed you would win anyway. You don't win or lose a constant amount of rating every game.
This ensures that people with equal skill get, approximately, equal rating assigned to them. Then matchmaking tries to balance games with a minimal rating difference between teams.
All it means is you are on the same skill level as those who won 700 games. You could say you are better than other level 30s or they are way bad players for their win amount.

polo2006

Senior Recruiter

27-09-2010

are you sure you are talking about "normal match que" and not ranked? sounds pretty much as the ranked system and i haven't seen anything called rating on normal games.

Also still cant make any sence about how that can possible be true that someone on 170 games (wins) can be matched up against 4 or 5 with 500-700+
he shouldn't have played enough of games to be fully "tested" for a matchsetup with so many wins/loses in diffrence. (IMO ofc)

Rhoda Issa

27-09-2010

Normal games also have rating. It is not displayed (it is intended for fun, not for tryharding), but it is there and matchmaking uses it.

About your 170 wins against your opponents 500-700+. I think you can safely say that even with their experience, the don't play better than you do, be it a compliment for you or just bad on their part. While they have more experience, it seems they don't do anything with it to improve themselves. If you are on par with them right now, you'll outgrow them soon enough, just think about that

Also, keep in mind you can learn a lot from experienced players outplaying you. Observe, see what you do wrong or they do better and improve! MM is giving you an opportunity to improve against more experienced players. You don't learn from winning, it is losing (and realising what went wrong) makes you better.

Flying Squirrel

27-09-2010

My last two matches had 3 players in my team in both matches leaving!! Like seriosuly wtf? What kind of matchmaking is that? That is fking stupid!

Irenicuz

27-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirel View Post
My last two matches had 3 players in my team in both matches leaving!! Like seriosuly wtf? What kind of matchmaking is that? That is fking stupid!
that surely is matchmaking's fault

SharK XO

27-09-2010

ELO rating system is used.
Although now, it's hidden for normal games.

If you play ranked games you can see your ELO.