counter to graves

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lãsh

22-10-2011

Hey guys.

So today I've been playing against some graves players that actually knew what they're doing. I've had a few games against them solo top, and a few games on bot lane.

I don't really have problems with him as solo top (as Irelia).I'll just rush armor items and I'm usually tanky enough to withstand his burst, and sustain myself back to full hp. At level 4+ I can just start to harass him, and since he hardly has any sustain, I do not find it hard to win the lane.

As AD carry bot though I have huge problems against him.

If I make a little mistake against caitlyn for example: okay, will lose about a 3rd/half of my hp, will be like 'sh*t', drink a pot/get healed by support, and it's ok. Caitlyn is a b*tch, but you can still get away with minor mistakes against her, and do ok in lane.

Against Graves however, I feel like, whenever me, or my support, only slightly overextend, he just practically one shots the champion, with some help of his support. The difference with dealing with him at solo top, ofc, is that I have a tankier champ at my disposal. At bottom lane though i just have the idea he tears every other AD carry apart past level 6.

However, I'm in no way intending to call him OP. I just want to hear some reasonable solutions from players who have managed to deal with graves at bot lane. Thanks in advance.

Gaofighgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

22-10-2011

Stand in minion waves. If you got almost no minion waves retreat.

Graves got a big nuke damage when you allow him to be in melee range, because his Q hits for like 170% damage and it already got a high base damage value. Combine that with just his auto-attacks and his smoke grenade, and help from his support, you are indeed basically dead. He also starts with high amounts of AD and got higher AD when leveled up, compared with Ashe for example.

While Ashe starts with Attack Damage 46.3 (+2.85) , Graves starts with atleast Attack Damage 51 (+3.1)

He isn't OP, but he is the sort of carry that, even if he gets harassed, he gets it back up in no time considering his passive nullifies your harass for most of the part, if he remains in combat.

Just don't let him near you or your support and try to outrange farm him. Though that's also very difficult considering he has 550 range, only 50 less range then an Ashe. So a Caitlynn is almost necessary to counter him unfortunately.

Grabovski

22-10-2011

Cait can lane against him just fine (what a surprise!).

Mapcom

Recruiter

22-10-2011

I mid laned vs Cait... (maybe she was a bad player) and own her...

She said "Never saw such a OP champ" xD

Lãsh

22-10-2011

^

Thanks for your answers, but basically what I'm hearing is: You can only take him on with cait, Sounds a bit harsh to me to be honest. Is there no way to lane against graves with vayne/kog/ashe/trist/ez?

Well on a different note, I could imagine that switching top lane with bot (putting vayne top for example works in quite some cases) could be an ok counter against him.

Mapcom

Recruiter

22-10-2011

Depends on the player. I laned vs a Ezreal on top and he wasnt unable to hit me with his skills lol, same as cait.

Ashe depend on with who r u lining, same as vayne.

kog i dont know.

Just stay away xD

Atreyes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

22-10-2011

I share you opinion, Graves feels like a MF with an escape spell and higher damage. I think hes very close to balanced, just a little too strong at the moment. I think they need to nerf the damage on his Q but also reduce the cooldown, so hes more persistent and less bursty.

In terms of a counter I think kog'maw works pretty well, soraka is a good partner for him too, if soraka times the heal well to give kog the armor buff it does take away alot of graves burst.

I Love Lemon Tea

22-10-2011

i don't see how caitlyn can fail vs him given the utility and the bush dominance.
on a side note, just keep your distance.
Graves actually have a relatively short range and has one of the lowest base movement speed.

while his early game is great, his late game is somewhat horrible because of the low skill range.

Skumbag Itrulia

22-10-2011

you can outlane cait as graves. Harras like a dumbass

Grabovski

22-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itrulia View Post
you can outlane cait as graves. Harras like a dumbass
A smart Cait won't let you get in range to harass.