The Martyr "Leona in Dominion" Impressions and Video

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrincessCelestia

23-09-2011

0. The Martyr Playstyle.

Defensive champions are bosses in Dominion, although rather unpopular due to the "I want to pew pew" effect. The ability to hold a turret against 3 champions and forcing the enemy team to commit 2 or more champions to a tower capture wins matches.

Playing dominion I noticed that my playstyle didn't suit the "Carry/DPS" one. I always found myself focusing on tower capture and enemy capture stalling and after seeing that there is a reward in dominion called martyr (when you die defending a tower I believe) I think that this is the perfect word to summarize this playstyle: horrible KDR but high contribution points. So I decided to stop playing assasins/DPS's and picked a champion better suited for the task.

It's a fact: almost nobody plays Leona, she is labelled many times as useless and UP despite being a very strong pick (just overshadowed by the big brothers in SR). I wanted to try her in the new mode.

The results? Short version: She is really strong.

Long version

1. What changes from Summoner's Rift to the Crystal Scar that makes her better?

• In SR you must play leona as a support in duo bot lane, your gold income depends on Gp5 items and early kills, so when the first team battles happen around dragon or during ganks, you are diving into the fray with just a philo and a HoG. In dominion you gain money steadily, 2v1 assists give you almost as much money as the guy who dealt the killing blow.
  • Turrets are more dive friendly in Dominion meaning that enemy is going to dive you and you are going to dive. Again, with one of the best defensive steroids in the game coupled with the best single target disabling kit and 3 AoE spells plus dash, you are great at towerdiving and holding a turret even against 3 people.
  • Leona is one of the least farm dependant tanks, meaning that you achieve the Godlike status faster than great tanks like Cho. Once you achieve CDR cap and some health you are incredible.
  • Most of the fights in Dominion are 2v2, 1v1, 1v2; these are the fights that favor Leona, with her ability to shutdown an opponent during almost 4 seconds, that Master yi is turret fodder instead of a killing machine.
  • Related to the last point: Leona is incredible disabling assassins and carries: Jax, Akali, Yi, Talon, even Kass can be rooted/stunned for 4secs, some examples:
    a) Nocturne: Zenith Blade have a funny detail, it behaves like a double spell: if you hit a Nocturne with spellshield the shield negates the first effect: the damage, then you teleport and immobilize him for 1sec, the same happens with banshee's veil in SR. Now you are free to stun - solar flare. Meanwhile your ally should have had enough time to destroy nocturne or to run to safety
    b)Akali: CCed Akali is dead Akali, same with Yi (you are slow inmune? ok, say hello to double stun + immobilize)
    c)Jax: If you do it right, Jax loses his AS stacks, this means he is easier to bring down. Most Jaxes never run tenacity so they eat full duration rotation.

2. But... Common Misconceptions
  • Leona have no damage! If you are with an ally, your passive deals "Tons of damage" Usually without the passive I manage to deal at least half the damage the carries did; that without taking into account the passive. Considering your CC and survivability, I say its a fair trade. .
  • Leona have no MS buff or teleport/global skill. I believe that MS in dominion is the FotM in the forums; to have everyone in your team teleporting or moving at 500 MS is overkill; just having a Pantheon and another fast character in your team is good enough. If your team plays clever, focusing on holding three points, instead of overcapturing and leaving everything undefended you can win consistently against a Rammus, Zeal team

3. The video.

* I'm not a good player, I have my moments but that's it (but I still forgot to use speed shrines, Odyn's active etc...).
* Early game I was rusty and still figuring the best places to go while watching what my companions were doing, so, please, be patient or skip ahead
* On this game we had some lag spikes, it only happened twice but I smurfed my ult in one of them (the rest of fails are my bad)
* My Win Ratio in dominion is fairly good, I've had a lot of luck with the teams so this video was recorded afer a 5 win streak (I was 6W 3L). Everybody in the other team was acceptable, on win streak too and we didnt own them, so this is not a pubstomp video.
* If you see my match history and ask yourself why do I die so much in dominion is because I play like this always: while 3 members of my team are chasing Singed with his ult on (happened twice yesterday), I am one of the few guys defending points 1v3 while everybody is busy trying to kill on a capture map... sigh
* We didn't have Jax, Akali, Lee Sin or Rammus, four of the most OP chars; according to some posts we should have lost. Tip: Heimer is god in dominion too and Malz is not as bad as people thinks.

LEona in Dominion 1080p

4. Conclusions.

I hope you enjoyed the post, I still think that Leona needs some love, specially regarding her passive: she should be able to pop it or at least against minions or I dunno... Not being able to do anything with your passive when you are alone or last girl standing sucks pretty hard and limits the viability / fun factor of this incredible champion.

Love.

Noctah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

23-09-2011

Good stuff, i hope people will consider playing defensive champs like this more often.

I tried a roamer Alistar kind of defense, but it didn't work well, too big cooldowns for so many enemies, but i saved a lot of time for my team with my Ultimate.

Gothic Rose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

23-09-2011

I concur. Leona's quite good in Dominion.

Jannikhp

23-09-2011

what program did you use to record that ?

and i concur that leona is freaking good in Do

MarkyZero

23-09-2011

Free Wins - powered by Leona

FrischT0T

23-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannikhp View Post

this is the lol recorder. can be found here: http://www.leaguereplays.com/

PrincessCelestia

23-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctah View Post
Good stuff, i hope people will consider playing defensive champs like this more often.

I tried a roamer Alistar kind of defense, but it didn't work well, too big cooldowns for so many enemies, but i saved a lot of time for my team with my Ultimate.
I think Alistar is quite the opposite than Leona in Dominion, he is better in SR: sustainability is far more important in SR, and what makes Alistar so great there, is his ult that allows him to tank without items. In dominion fights happen more frequently so you find yourself having to build real tanky because it's on CD in many fights. I have to play Alistar in dominion to see how he fares.

PrincessCelestia

23-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannikhp View Post

and i concur that leona is freaking good in Do
To record the match I used Lolreplay, FrischT0T linked the website.

To record the video I used ZDsoft ScreenRecorder, because it allows me to record directly in H264 saving me a lot of HD and encoding time.