How to counter Cho'Gath?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hackett Up

14-09-2011

Hey there, first topic on these forums. Been playing a couple of weeks and am now level 17 with around 50 wins (hopefully that's new enough) and I'd like to know what would be a good/decent/reliable counter to someone playing Cho'Gath.

The champs I've been playing are Mordekaiser, Singed, Yorick, Blitzcrank and Heimerdinger (mostly tanky, though Heimer is the exact opposite), and have been wondering if these guys even have a decent way to deal with Cho in mid to late game when he gets huge and has a gigantic amount of health. Teamfights seem to go badly whenever an enemy Cho is there because even with focus firing, he just won't go down. His skills aren't much of a problem, it's just that health.

Any help is gratefully appreciated, and if it turns out none of these guys can effectively deal with him, do tell who is a good choice and why. Thanks!

Brother Roga

14-09-2011

Well, since the damage he puts out doesnt seem to be that much of a problem, focus him down AFTER his teammates are down.

Anyways, nuking him from a distance to soften him up before closing in seems to do it for me.

Teares

14-09-2011

Singed (level 4 and u have np) . Care at the first 3 levels. And get the right runes. I promise is works

Camudaki

14-09-2011

He's the tank, best bet is to ignore him as much as possible and take out the enemy carries and damage dealers. Yes I'm aware its hard to ignore a giant freak of nature who literally sits ontop of his team mates to keep them safe while using AOE knockup, slows and silences on your entire team.

Only after the rest of the team is dead or retreated on 10 health should you turn your attention to Cho.

Teares

14-09-2011

Okay i made a 1on1 today vs my friend (1700 elo). It was nice match solotop (me singed, he cho). The thing is, they are nearly 100% equal. If the cho has skill, he might go bit better then Singed. But he cant push tower, he cant kill you, he cant denie you farming.

I lost the match after 28minutes, (tower down), we had same farm, and noone died. So, singed is a very viable "counter". You cannot kill a Cho at top actually, with no hero. Even not ourfarm or else.

KindaMehRiven

14-09-2011

Hehe, I once played as Leona against a Cho solo top. It was the most peaceful lane I ever saw.

We both farmed all day, I knew I couldn't kill him on my own, so I harrassed a bit, but he omnomnomed of course, harrassed a bit back and I just regenerated. None of us died until the 20 min mark.
Sadly, the other lanes failed and fed hard, which I couldn't do anything about and they 5 man ganked me under my tower. Peace time was over and we lost that game...

umpa tumpa

14-09-2011

dodge, expect him to q evry sec evrything is skil shot/ use garen counters him lvl 1-8

TschauLeben

15-09-2011

easiest counter is cait with AD runes and AD pen trust me

Entenzwerg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-09-2011

there are quite a few "counters"
first of all akali, I dont recommend you to play akali know because she NEEDS perfect runes which u cant get at lvl 17 and even if you could you would need so many IP that it would be a little bit stupid, but she rapes Chogath top!
Irelia is pretty good vs Cho aswell not that strong as Akali in that lane but if she mb can kill cho once with a good gank hes nearly screwed, but be carefull his lvl 6 burst (with ignite) is insane!
Garen is another one who just does too much damage so a chogath will have a hard time
some1 who is overlooked by many new and low elo players : Nasus he isnt that easy to play because he needs farm which needs some played games to get used to farm well. A Nasus wont die to cho burst (if u are a bit carefull at lvl 6-8) and eventually he WILL be able to kill chogath
In addition even if u dont kill the chogath a farmed Nasus is way stronger then a farmed chogath.

And if just the cho hp is a problem ignore him? Ok that wont be possible cause he just oneshots your ad carry ( which is the ONLY reason cho is viable) you cant play full tank at high level every champ needs some potential damage like the 600 damage feast from cho like the percentage damage from amumu or the insane poison damage from singed. In mid - early late game tanky champs are insanely strong they fall of a bit if u get into the real lategame. Try to ignore them if possible (maybe fling him away from your ad carry if you are singed or slow him with nasus if you can get at other targets without that slow) or if they are out of position you can still instant kill them! Even IF they have 200 + MR/ Armor

Arekualkhemi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

15-09-2011

I usually start eating Cho'Gath between lvl 4 and 10 with Nasus. Farm along with him, get your Q beefy.

Then evade his spikes from below (that knockup), instant Wither on him, Gank, ulti, dead Cho, GG.