Player divisions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WelshDaddy

11-09-2010

Hey all.

Before everyone starts whining and complaining that this is just a thread made to troll and moan its not, this is just something thats not implimented into the game and im just wondering why and if it ever will be.

Basically, Ranked solo games are an absolute nightmare. Why? Well, for the simple reason that you are never sure what the skill level or knowledge of the other players on your team is and for this reason, it makes ranked so frustrating because you always end up with whiners, feeders and generally just players that have no real ability to play as a team. Instead they like to whine and argue which unfortunatly ends up in a loss which reduces your ranking unfairly.

There are systems in other RTS games, one example being starcraft 2 where you play matches to determine your final skill level division such as Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond and Platinum, these first "matches" dont affect your ranking score, it simply fits you into the catagory you are skilled enough for so you play with and against players at a similar skill level. At the end of the season, depending on your ranking, you can get promoted, demoted or stay in the same division of players depending on how well u did. Making the match system alot more balanced.

Why dont LoL Impliment something like this in order to balance out the players better for solo ranked games? Im sure im not the only one thats frustrated with the current solo ranked system. Losing rating due to a poorly skilled team time and time again forcing you in the end to only ever get poor players on your team due to low ranking is unfair and i think LoL could use something along the lines of the starcraft 2 system instead.

Many of you will say "well you cant be that good if your team keeps losing", infact im looking forward to the *****ing that i will inevitably get but on a more serious note, this is a team game, I cannot carry 4 other players against a whole team and im being brought down due to what u may call "bad luck" with the match making system currently in place.

Saviour Star

11-09-2010

So you're suggesting that if a player gets a bad team for their first few matches in a season, they get stuck with feeders, leavers and whiners for the next year?

rG Nekkie

11-09-2010

That's what u have with a matchmaking system, solve the problem you have yourself.

I send everyone i enjoyed playing with a friends request and after a while you will have such a big list that u just need to log on and either get invited or invite 5 people. Makes the game more enjoyable and u wont get grouped with people that u dont like.

U could do the same with people u see as "good"

G Lancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2010

So, you suggest to replace system that assigns people numerical rating by the system that assigns them to divisions.

ELO rating may vary greatly and it may change pretty fast. It is affected by luck as the game is team-dependent but statistically it works. Your system just replaces it with 5 pre-determined ratings and doesn't allow them to change for long periods of time. It does not improve the current system as the main flaw is that "luck" factor and you did nothing to nullify it.

Skates

11-09-2010

I'm not exactly sure how they determine your division in starcraft, but I assume they give you some 1v1 matches and then you get ranked according to the time it took you to win (or lose) and the strategy you had. That would fail for LoL because it's not a 1v1 game. Your team plays a big role. So if in the preliminary matches you get stuck with even 1 guy who wants to be a hero and doesn't like to play in a team, you're gonna be in a bad division for the rest of the season.

WelshDaddy

11-09-2010

No what happens is simple. When the season starts, you are asked to play a "qualifying" 5 matches and based on how well you do as an individual (Kills, deaths, assists, towers ect) you are put into a division of players that performed similarly to yourself (meaning you play against and with players around your skill level) Making solo match making alot more fair for yourself and others then the season after that, depending on your division rating, you are demoted, promoted or simply kept in the same division.

Its not about having friends to invite as this is just for the solo system, so this would not apply to an arranged team match. This system is in starcraft 2 for solo players looking for ranked games but dont wanna end up playing against players way to skilled for them or way to easy, it makes it fair on every player to know that they are playing with and against other players that are of the same sort of standard as yourself. After you are assigned, then the matchmaking goes on as normal but at least you know the players you are grouped with are going to be similar to yourself, then if you lose you have lost fairly instead of losing because you have ended up with 4 complete idiots.

Remember, this is just for solo ranked games, nothing more, as solo ranked and arranged ranked are 2 seperate ratings.

To explain it a little better, here is a link to an explanation of how it works with starcraft 2 http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Leag...tarCraft_II%29 Please keep in mind that starcraft 2 is a 1v1 RTS but i dont see why a similar system cannot be put in place for the solo ranked games here.

G Lancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2010

Your idea is still bad. Main difference is that you suggest to judge players by individual skill in team game. I don't think you can rely on simple things as "Kills, deaths, assists, towers ect" to tell you the whole story. Initiator may die and not get any assists if his team doesn't follow his initiation, people may sacrifice their life so their team will get inhibitors or to save their teammate (carry-type, snowball items), simple number wards placed won't tell if it was any good as well. It's not that easy (almost impossible) to make an algorithm that can analyze all this stuff and make adequate judgment of player decisions.

Oh, an another thing. You think players don't want to be matched with opponents way better then they are? You're gravely wrong. Most of players don't realize how bad they are and always blame their teammates no matter what they do,