How to play when you are losing your lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tneshi

18-07-2011

Hi everybody. I am level 18 only and while I do have more wins than loses, of course, every now and then I am losing my lane and I don't know how to deal with it in the game.

So say, I play Vayne in top lane with somebody that cannot protect me, neither harrass our opponents. They are Ashe and Malphite. I know losing to Ashe is considered ubernoobish, but it's happening. Ashe is harrassing me with her greater range and when Malphite happens to get a stun, I'm dead.

So then I try and be more defensive, but I feel like I have to get some last hits, so I can carry late game...

Now, let's imagine, noone wants to switch lanes and I'd suck at tetris... what should I do?

Do I stay back and don't farm, just gain experience and stay safe?
Do I return to base every time I've been harrassed to 50%?
Do I risk getting killed a few times when I can farm okay?

I normally play tanks and I'm just not very good with AD carries, yet. But I see this pattern in all my Vayne games, that I have problems early-mid in lane, but really excell when we make it to a late-very late game.

Drkz

19-07-2011

maybe u stay back only get exp and get some kills when they push your tower, then just hit some with low life or get some items like heart of gold so u get get bonus gold or another idea is to initiate some ganks ask ur midlaner for gank if he has a lvl bonus like he's lvl 6 and everyone on your lane still 4 or 5

conductiv

19-07-2011

if they refuse to lane switch:

first notify the team again you can't hold the lane then let the minions push up to the tower, then only last hit the wounded ones (so the minions stay close to the tower). back off when you start getting low. if the minions happen to get away from the tower try and get some minions from the jungle (if you have no jungler). biggest isseu with this method is that the tower will start taking hits, and will eventually break down. biggest advantage is that you are very safe behind a wall of minions and close to the turret, you won't grant them a free kill.

keeping the enemy minions close to the tower will mean the enemy has to move real close to you're tower to farm, this makes it easier for mid or jungle to gank. but keep in mind both mid and jungle have to build up their advantage (jungle needs its level advantage and buffs, while mid needs to push back the enemy mid to buy time) so they might not be able to come right away.

from my experience AD carries really need the gold to become effective, experience is great if you're a mage or bruiser with a decent base damage on the skills, but AD carries often rely on auto attacks. building gold/10 items might work, but it takes quite a while for them to pay themselves back causing a big delay in you're build.

res1ess

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

19-07-2011

just last hit.. is that so difficult?

especially with someone with those high hits like vayne you should get all minions with only 1 hit at most on minions.

Morimacil

19-07-2011

You are asking the wrong question really.
Instead of asking yourself "how do I play when Im losing", you should be asking yourself, "how do I play so I dont lose my lane?"

FaTeLeGendS

19-07-2011

try to hug your tower, and focus ability's on minions, you will not stay much behind in lvl's.
vayne have a great range so try to stay away from them.

Mattatron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

19-07-2011

Why is it noobish that an Ashe owns you as Vayne?
She has more range and can kite you...she's a better ad carry to begin with.
Vayne in my opinion isn't half a good as she used to be.
Her range is to short to be any good in teamfights, and being Vayne is like having a giant X with kill me on your head.

To answer the question:

Farm and exp are very important in a lane,
The solution to the exp part is very simply , stay in exp range.

The farm one is more of a skill thing and experience.
I can do 100% last hits under a turret.
It's a very good skill to practice and in your level bracket (where people tend to push the living hell out of you) its a good asset to have in your arsenal.
Just remember
2 turret hits+1 autoattack = dead melee minion
1 auto+1turret+1 auto= dead range minion

Most important thing you want to do is not die.
In your case the best bet is to keep farming ( by counter items to the people killing you, a negatron or the armor one is a good item to have when they are giving you a hard time)
But also if there kicking your ass, the jungler is supposed to gank your lane.
Although in your level bracket junglers are not really there to begin with so meh.

Tneshi

19-07-2011

Thanks for the helpful replies, especially conductiv and Lastanh.

I am not that good at last hitting yet and your formular is very welcome. Will practice that.

Yea, unfortunately, a jungler is very rare in my level range. And about "losing to Ashe is so noob", I way just referring to what my lame-o team "mates" were flaming instead of helping me. ;-)

@conductiv: Sure. I am trying to improve my game so I never lose. But there will always be better players than I am and so I wondered what would be wise strategically when I have a hard time in the lane phase. And even when I lost my lane, when my team mates bought me enogh time to farm, quite often now I started to carry after like 40-50mins, even though I died a lot in early game and even though they were fed and fully equipped. Given that, I was wondering how I could make the best out of a situation where my lane opponents were better or the champion configuration brings a disadvantage.

PooferZ

19-07-2011

In the laning phase AD carries should only focus on farming. You should really only be attempting a kill after a mistake from your opponents, like bad use of summoner skills/ultimates.

And depending what combo you're facing you can adapt your build. For instance you can rush a negatron cloak to counter AP burst, or chain mail against AD. If you face constant harras you can consider building lifesteal. Many carries get another dorans blade early because it helps you sustain a bit longer in your lane.

Maramix

20-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastanh View Post
Just remember
2 turret hits+1 autoattack = dead melee minion
1 auto+1turret+1 auto= dead range minion
thats quite good to know but doesnt make you 100% minion farm under turret cause sometimes you get your own minions join that fight under your turret so there will be some minion hits + 2 turrethits = dead meleeminion without any chance for you to get the kill.
however these formulas help much to get a lot of farm though having to hug tower.