Pando Media Booster

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThatFknNinja

06-07-2011

How dare you (Riot) install this bandwidth theiving device on my computer.

For weeks i have been having network problems with my net basically being ridiculously slow (1 notch to 'offline') during and after i play lol, and its because of this fricking program, which you install with no consent, stealthily when we install LOL.

Apart from the legalities of pushing something onto someones system without their consent or knowledge, its just a freaking dumb thing to do.

ITS MALWARE. It may be 'useful' for you, to spread the cost of uploads, but for the end user, it is MALWARE.
DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

ESPECIALLY when you dont have the COMMON COURTESY to say, for example:

"Please be aware that installing LOL will also install 'Pando Media Booster', which will put you in a peer cloud totally unrelated to the game. Your computer will then be used as a proxy which we will use to send data from, this will cripple your net connection".

Because yes, that is what pando does.

So to anyone wondering WTF is up with their net connection, look at the sneaky **** which LOL installs.

And i hope i get a red response because this is actually a serious issue, RIOT. I agree to play a game, not to have my pc and net taken over by what is essentially a trojan horse. For a professional company (hah) you REALLY are stepping the line with this.

EDIT : To the fanboys behaving like Riots own personal solicitors - apart from it NOT being in the EULA:
I honestly worry sometimes, because people like you that think that if they could find a way to 'legally' rob a million people blind, it would be acceptable. Because, for some reason, you think that legality = morality. And if you cant be sued for something, then you cannot be held accountable for anything.

It is sad, really sad.

Bromè

06-07-2011

I agree. It really weighs on your internet connection, and the worst thing is they don't even tell you it's being installed.

Oglaf

06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromè View Post
I agree. It really weighs on your internet connection, and the worst thing is they don't even tell you it's being installed.
Have you read through the End User Agreement?

I'm fairly sure there is a "You agree to let us sneakily install **** on your PC"-clause in there somewhere.

EDIT: Downvote me all you want, it won't change the truth.

Floo0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2011

bump had trouble with starting lotro and lol at the same time (3h Q some farmin in lotro) and this was cuase of that ****in programm^^

Integrals

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2011

Indeed, like two weeks ago i was wondering whats up with my internet connection after/while playing LoL.
Ridiculous slow on edge of going offline(exactly same as seercirra issue), after uninstalling that pando thingy it works just fine duh.

ZekkPacus

06-07-2011

Two things:

1) You can disable peer-to-peer. It's in the settings of the patcher/login client. Stops Pando using your bandwidth.

2) Did you read the EULA? I bet you didn't. If you didn't, you can't get away with the 'MORAL HIGHGROUND I AM CONSUMER I AM RIGHT' spiel.

(NB: I agree that companies shouldn't install stuff like this/kontiki/toolbars etc, but if you didn't read the EULA you deserve what you get)

Nury

06-07-2011

Trojan Horse? Pando Media Booster? What antivirus you use?I agree that pando is not good,i mean for me isnt but its a legit program.

And this is what Pando is for:

The Pando Media Booster is a tiny (2MB) UI-less client that enables you to cost effectively stream full-screen HD video by leveraging your viewer's collective spare bandwidth. Running as a secure transparent background service on your viewer's computer, the Media Booster optimizes video streams by intelligently streaming your videos from multiple sources; your CDN servers as well as the computer's of other viewers ("Peer Cloud").

ThatFknNinja

06-07-2011

Its not like i have a weak connection either, i have a 20mb connection, download at a straight 2mb/s, which is pretty good for england, but PMB would bring my net to a standstill any time that the lol launcher was running or for up to about 20 minutes after closing the lol client.

ZekkPacus

06-07-2011

Did. You. Read. The. EULA.

It's in the EULA, so you agreed to having it installed on your machine.

Scottish Wildcat

06-07-2011

/shrug, I uninstalled it. I've not noticed a difference.